Rain Charged Me R2454.05! ***Resolved*** Happy Client :)

ManBearPiggy

So, this just happened

A few weeks ago i ordered myself the R250 off-peak unlimited data sim from Rain. Upon first registration, on their website i selected the 0 data package and then the R250 off-peak data. For the first month you get 15 days free peak data and 30 days free off-peak data. You then just have to pay R120 (i think) for the delivery of the sim and rica.

So today, just out of curiosity, i went on their site to see how much off-peak data i was using, this is what i got:

image1 (1).jpeg

I was shocked!!! I was charged for the peak data @ R50 a gig. I did select the No peak data in the beginning as im using 2 ISP’s which 1 is rain off-peak and the other Afrihost (Rain 110GB), so my devices connects to the available internet.

I did email then this afternoon so will hear what they have to say
as of now im kinda pissed abt it.

Yall experienced this with them?

Deadmanza

Honorary Master
As sucky as this is, I am pedantic about these kind of things, I would have been checking if not daily at least every couple of days. WAY to many horror stories like these.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
According to the screenshot your spend limit is not activated. So that amount must be for the peak time data you used plus the R250 deal. Just wait for their reply but don't expect positive news

cavedog

Honorary Master
Well first things first you should probably remove your card payment.

Also you were supposed to set your spend limit. IF you did then it's their fault and they should fix it. If you did not but used all the data during peak maybe you can ask for a better rate.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
I also activated the R250 deal and have email proof from them confirming it from 1 August but they never activated it. Luckily I saw it early. They kept on telling me they will only activate it 1 September although it is their fault. I cancelled the sim, ordered a new one and now I'm using the 15 free days to the fullest extend

ManBearPiggy

i remember when i first ordered on their site i definitely did select the lowest peak-time data (not sure if it was 0 or something) and then the R250 off-peak data, now they wanna charge me the peak data i never intended to get? not good :(

ManBearPiggy

correct! but like i said, im using 2 routers with 2 dif ISP's so i did not bother to check my Rain account as the peak time data was set to the minimum.

snail

Expert Member
I have noticed that their allocation for the used data needs some improvement. i have the uncapped package, however all my data for the day is allocated to peak usage and only after 11pm it reverses the usage to the offpeak. With that being said i have my spend limit in place which should limit my spend usage.

Another thing to remember is if you activate uncapped prior to card activation then it will only kick in on following month, same applies for if you only activate after the 14 days free period, however if you activate the uncapped during your free period then it will kick in the second your free days are over. Thats how i understood it, and i tested the theory of uncapped activation and it works as i explained (In terms of activation during free days).

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Companies design products to screw you, so it's best to be vigilant.

Millions have been bitten by the oob shark.

Must say, that's a shyt load of data for a couple of weeks.

ryu

Expert Member
this thread scared the crap outta me! and i havent even installed my rain sim on my phone yet :D
its still sitting in my draw at home for about a month now, need to install it tonight.

i remember putting a spend limit of R500, i must just take a screenshot of that just incase something like this happens.

namzsteve

Expert Member
Spend limit is not activated!

Damn

:crying:

I would recommend you check it everyday to make sure it stays on.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
I don't really trust the accuracy of the data usage in particular within the free days period

It is impossible that I could have used this in 10 days of the 15 day free period. :unsure: Just look at my username

Picture 2018-08-24 09_25_16.png

WAslayer

Expert Member
You say you ordered this a few weeks ago.. You had 15 days for the free unlimited data during peak time and this 15 day period has already expired for you.. (I am still in this period and my expiration date for the period is shown on my dashboard)..

I suspect that you used the peak data after the 15 day period had already expired.. but this depends on when you ordered and when the sim was activated.. If you used the peak data after the expiration, then you are going to have to take the butthurt and pay back the money I am afraid..