Rain denies throttling 5G speeds on Premium package

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Damn strange troubleshooting mechanisms for an operator. Sounds like the are clueless. Sounds like interference and packet loss to me and their equipment should be able to identify that easily.
But in this case assumption and the MyBB speedtest isn't what they should be using. Can't they afford a spectrum analyzer?
Interference and packet loss wouldn't be corrected by using another identical model router.
Frequency choice by the device could be the culprit... not sure if they were forcing to specific frequencies or not.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
I think that question should be directed to the vendor Huawei.

I have Rain 5G and tested with 2 CPEs next to each other. They had both different Cell IDs. I'm not sure if it's random, signal related or load balancing but 2 routers right next to each other with the identical settings connect to different towers. Swapping sims made no difference at all.
I suspect the decision lies with the tower equipment, or one tower just responded quicker than the other with a fix... rather than it being based on signal strength. I'm not familiar with the protocols involved but it happens on LAN with DHCP. Sometimes the DHCP server a couple of hops away responds sooner than the expected one.

werfie

Expert Member
Like clockwork, my signal drops to 4G (at speed of 1-5Mbps) at around 6pm, can't get it back up again after that until the next morning. I am on 5G premium.

They are finishing up Fiber in my area, the second it goes live, I'm done with Rain.

MickeyDangerez

They don't need to throttle it, congestion does it for them.

Haven't read the article, but they definitely do shape, VPN traffic. That directly contradicts that unlimited.
LOL wanted to comment on this here. Congestion is a form of throttling... They can't denaai that.

human75

One of the worst company in South Africa. Their operation license should cancel while ago. Full of fraud and lies...Only thing they are worry about your credit card number, expiry date cvc number :) They are lightning fast for debit order though. They have 10G speed for debit orders. Refund 0.00001KB/s...
They also absolutely put specific firmware inside their modem.VPN speed is limited to 5Meg max. If you put your sim different device you may bypass the their throttling but seems they also locked different brand modems as well. So they basically hand cuff you with their own modem.

Last edited:

Hummercellc

Expert Member
Did he check his ethernet port speed was sitting at 1gbps and possibly not stuck at 100mbps?

Swa

Honorary Master
Who's accusing them of throttling? I've heard of lots of issue signal related but nothing of throttling. Mybb's own tests showed that there was no throttling and all services ran at their maximum speed.

Swa

Honorary Master
Rain technician's router got 400Mbps (same make and model), clients router 100mbps. Same location.
Maybe RAIN needs to rethink it's reliance on Huawei hardware.
Maybe Huawei should start selling generic hardware like they do for 4G and not with operator specific firmware.

Jake45

Expert Member
Rain always gives the impression that supplying 4G and 5G services is more of a hobby for them and that the real profitable business lies in selling capacity to Vodacom. Maybe things will change after the spectrum auction if Vodacom no longer requires the use of their spectrum.

chakniks

Rain always gives the impression that supplying 4G and 5G services is more of a hobby for them and that the real profitable business lies in selling capacity to Vodacom. Maybe things will change after the spectrum auction if Vodacom no longer requires the use of their spectrum.
It will not change anything because no matter how much spectrum Vodacom gets from the auction, they could still do with more and Rain is the easier way to get it.