• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Two-Day Giveaway - Win a Google Chromecast, Branded Gear, and a Mystery Gadget. Enter Here.
  • Giveaway - Win a DiskStation DS918+ and Active Backup Suite from Synology. Enter Here.

Rain FIXED LTE crippled now due to Rain mobile.

bboy

Expert Member
So I don't know what these idiots have done but these are the current problems.

All day, torrents are throttled to the max.

6Pm on the dot
Heavy shaping
Online gaming keeps disconnecting
Things like streaming TO twitch become throttled to death.
Many websites have things like images that download line by line.

Speedtest still says 19.3 down, 7.4 up

I don't like in a congested area, I guy a fixed LTE with CAP package and now I have to deal with this BS

cavedog

Honorary Master
Are you using cool ideas local relay ingest server? If not might want to check it out as an alternative.

bashan

6Pm on the dot
Heavy shaping

I don't like in a congested area, I guy a fixed LTE with CAP package and now I have to deal with this BS
I am also experiencing the same for downloading/streaming on showbox in the afternoon. Can someone from rain please assist. Also with afrihost. Speed test showing in the 30Mb/per sec. We should not be shaped or throttled on a capped service.

dee4dog

6Pm on the dot
Heavy shaping

I can concure , general speeds down, Heavy shaping, p2p @100kB/s max. On Afrihost.

8tpg88

Agree 100% . With Mweb and speeds are half what they were before mobile launched. Showbox is unusable as are vpns. Definitely shaping/throttling. This is a capped account and we shouldn’t be shaped or throttled.

bashan

So in peak times speedtest.net is not throttled but mybroadband speedtest is.....
What I have found is that both speed tests are fine. Problem comes in when streaming. Somehow during peak times the streaming speed is throttled.

dotcat

What I have found is that both speed tests are fine. Problem comes in when streaming. Somehow during peak times the streaming speed is throttled.
mybroadband consistently was sub 2Mb/s but speedtest to cellc server was 18+

Rubberpigg

Expert Member
For me, in the evenings, speed is about 3.0 Mbps down.
Then at exactly 11:00pm it shoots up to 20.0 Mbps down.

nan0s0ldier

Same problem for me :( 7pm i get speeds of 1-2Mbps. After 11pm i get 20Mbps again. Quite sad as I cant watch netflix before going to bed...

Warmunger

Same Issue here.

Speedtest performs ok'ish but nowhere near what it used to be. Netflix is throttled as well. Can't get more than 6Mbps on Fast.com. Getting 20 in Speedtest. Used to be in the 50's.

On Afrihost as well.

Napalm

Expert Member
For me, in the evenings, speed is about 3.0 Mbps down.
Then at exactly 11:00pm it shoots up to 20.0 Mbps down.
i agree... so Rain mobile is really not "upto 50mbit"

Seems to either be shaped to 3mbit or 6mbit (during 6pm to 11pm daily and weekends) or basic speeds rest of the time upto 20mbit (tops).

the speedtests are not legit. they sometimes reflect 35mbit or 40mbit , but actual downloads get nowhere near those.

but in saying that... R250... one could not really be expecting uncapped 50mbit rock solid.

phly

I doubt Rain LTE will die - Rain mobile is not for everyone. As most people stream at the exact peak time they charge for in their bolt on bundle. Now if they allowed all you can eat at that section, spend limit will be reached much quicker for those with that option set as you pay for what you use.

chrisc

Executive Member
You guys are lucky. My RAIN mast is 850m away, I have an outdoor LTE antenna and the best I have ever had was 11 mbps. It is usually between 3 and 4 mbps

My ISP tells me I must be patient