RAIN Huawei 5G CPE Pro settings

cavedog

Honorary Master
That sounds very promising! I love this service, it’s one of the best investments I’ve made in years.

Yeah and we got blessed with it so quickly. When it gets more and more popular we will be like. Uhm we've been having it.... :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Yuu

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Looking at this picture of my the outdoor unit attached to wall. I can’t help but think it is not facing the right way. Currently it is facing South where optimizer says it should be facing North. I don’t think this antenna is true omnidirectional and relies on some sort of line of site for best results surely. Still can’t find any spec sheet on this unit.

Also have not been able to check the light configuration but as far as I understand they should all be green. Difficult to check but there is a blue light in the mix which denotes poor signal.

d2cb48f49a6ccebfcc513774d367427c.jpg

Massss

Looking at this picture of my the outdoor unit attached to wall. I can’t help but think it is not facing the right way. Currently it is facing South where optimizer says it should be facing North. I don’t think this antenna is true omnidirectional and relies on some sort of line of site for best results surely. Still can’t find any spec sheet on this unit.

Also have not been able to check the light configuration but as far as I understand they should all be green. Difficult to check but there is a blue light in the mix which denotes poor signal.

d2cb48f49a6ccebfcc513774d367427c.jpg
Nice unit, how your speeds looking with that up now?

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Nice unit, how your speeds looking with that up now?

Best so far is 338 over a wireless speed test on my phone. The Q2 base unit however nothing to write home about. Very poor range. I'm lucky if I get 50Mbps over wireless connection to PC with unobstructed line of site maybe 10 meters away. Very strange.

Leno

Expert Member

I hope that thing is properly earthed, I would put a cheap switch or something between that and anything that you dont want blown up (I wonder if the POE injector would take the lightning hit maybe)

Also make sure there is a cable loop before that cable goes indoors unless you want water damage

I know you said it was a rush job with the storm but man thats a untidy installation :p

Massss

Best so far is 338 over a wireless speed test on my phone. The Q2 base unit however nothing to write home about. Very poor range. I'm lucky if I get 50Mbps over wireless connection to PC with unobstructed line of site maybe 10 meters away. Very strange.
Speeds are not bad at all, better than what you were getting. And with those WIFI speeds it can get frustrating, maybe go lan cable on that?

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
Remember to connect to the correct wifi, that sounds like you might be connecting to the 2.4ghz and not 5ghz wifi connection. The indoor unit can combine them, but I actually split them.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
I hope that thing is properly earthed, I would put a cheap switch or something between that and anything that you dont want blown up (I wonder if the POE injector would take the lightning hit maybe)

Also make sure there is a cable loop before that cable goes indoors unless you want water damage

I know you said it was a rush job with the storm but man thats a untidy installation :p

Not needed. Apparently it uses some floating ground technology. Maybe have something to with unit being powered via the RJ45. In which case it would be earthed surely. No expert in this field but will investigate further thanks.

Remember to connect to the correct wifi, that sounds like you might be connecting to the 2.4ghz and not 5ghz wifi connection. The indoor unit can combine them, but I actually split them.

UI is pretty much identical to CPE PRO. I see it also combines. Will give it a bash.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Can anyone help access the ODU. Currently the UI is for the Q2 but I can see nothing from the ODU like signal strength and the likes.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Trying to fine tune this ODU now. Current line of sight orientation not ideal me thinks. As crow flies I'm about 450m away from "tower" which seems to be some antennae on a building. I'm on other side of small hill which makes it tricky. See diagram below to see if my logic makes sense.

mrlgm007

Expert Member
@PAYBACK Wow nice what is the model number for the external unit ?

Did you have to pay in more for a external unit ?

What are your router stats signal ect ?

PAYBACK

Expert Member
@PAYBACK Wow nice what is the model number for the external unit ?

Did you have to pay in more for a external unit ?

What are your router stats signal ect ?

External unit is 5G OUTDOOR CPE N5368. Don't bother trying to find any specs on it. Have scoured the internet for documentation and have come up short. Can't even find it on Hauwei's website expect some blurb about award given to unit. Have reached out to Hauwei locally but nothing. This is the problem with Chinese tech. Works great but getting info on products is a schlep.

Did not paying anything extra. Can't log into ODU just yet as because I don't have the username and password which is on a sticker on the physical unit currently about 6m in the air, so cant see signal strength and get stats from the unit. My average is around 300/14.

thomas37

Where do you guys see a tower map? I want to see how close I am to a 5G tower.

My 5G was working great 550 up, 40 down, until yesterday afternoon around 14h00. The 5G signal just disappeared. I now get less than 1.5 Mbps down and nothing up. Latency has gone from around 20ms to google.co.za to around 30000ms. Pinged support this morning but they’ll only get back to me some time this afternoon. Also looks as if the device is not falling over the 4G. When I look at the location optimizer, the 4G signal is as strong as it used to be, but the 5G has dropped way down.

PAYBACK

Expert Member

My 5G was working great 550 up, 40 down, until yesterday afternoon around 14h00. The 5G signal just disappeared. I now get less than 1.5 Mbps down and nothing up. Latency has gone from around 20ms to google.co.za to around 30000ms. Pinged support this morning but they’ll only get back to me some time this afternoon. Also looks as if the device is not falling over the 4G. When I look at the location optimizer, the 4G signal is as strong as it used to be, but the 5G has dropped way down.

If you phone RAIN they will give you the tower/station street address. Using that I was able to find what I think is the tower (antennas on building). Not as bad as you but was getting around 400/30 on Friday. The past couple of days speed has settled at 250/14. With some adjustment as pointed out above I'm sure it can be better. Better than LTE for sure but not quite 5G IMO.

oradba69

they’ll only get back to me some time this afternoon.
Been waiting for that since last week.
Tonight I am going back on my 40m VDSL line.
I was down last night(again) from about 8 till about 5 this morning, even though al lights are green on the modem)
Think I may just be finished with the 5G thing for now.

• Sad

cavedog

Honorary Master

That means the tower close to you is down.

I noticed the 5G towers does not have backup. Power outage 5G goes down. Fibre break also sees 5G go down.

• Sad