Rain launches commercial 5G network

koeks525

Expert Member
This is lovely news... I wonder if there are 5G MiFi / Routers on the market yet?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
The problem with Higher Speeds mean your data gets used up very fast. so 50gigs used conservatively can be used up quite quickly.
True. Why I've dropped my Netflix, Youtube etc. quality to 720p. Just don't like switching to and fro Cell C Giga200 daily.

falcon786

Honorary Master
blah blah blah,where's the esim product you've been promising us????

Johand

Expert Member
First release of 5G standard is only due in April... yet a "5G" network is launched.

What of the network is based on actual 5G standards and what is just branding? Or is it like the old days where everybody shouted 4G when they meant LTE?

RandomGeek

Expert Member
5G is the buzzword for the next 2 or 3 years...we better get used to it. Is Rain still hanging their antennas off Vodacom towers only or using other networks' towers as well?

Joseph matane

5G is the buzzword for the next 2 or 3 years...we better get used to it. Is Rain still hanging their antennas off Vodacom towers only or using other networks' towers as well?
Rain has zero partnership with other MNO or tower companies so the only towers Rain is using is Vodacom towers which is a problem since we are close to MTN tower not Vodacom tower I wish Rain could add 1000 towers from MTN to cover white space in areas where Rain has coverage already

RandomGeek

Expert Member
Rain has zero partnership with other MNO or tower companies so the only towers Rain is using is Vodacom towers which is a problem since we are close to MTN tower not Vodacom tower I wish Rain could add 1000 towers from MTN to cover white space in areas where Rain has coverage already
Yeah that would be ideal...at the end of the day the consideration would be cost...antennas and associated radio equipment costs a boatload per site

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
Seems like Rain playing a long game here. They look like they might be serious competition for the fibre networks like Vumatel and Openserve.

Swa

Honorary Master
First release of 5G standard is only due in April... yet a "5G" network is launched.

What of the network is based on actual 5G standards and what is just branding? Or is it like the old days where everybody shouted 4G when they meant LTE?
No 5G is a different technology to 4G. There's nothing else above LTE that can be called 5G.

Swa

Honorary Master
We welcome the faster Speeds and RAIN adding 50 Gigs of "Peak Data" to utilize the HighSpeedNetwork to the R250 Off Peak Package.

Surely this will be a Game changer for Vodacon & Emptyn.

But the guys are buying capacity on the RAIN network so that scares me. This may affect competition negatively.
Speculation or fact?

genetic

Honorary Master

Huh? Rain has their own network.

ekske1

Executive Member

I've already launched my 6G network :sneaky:

genetic

Honorary Master

Not true. Commercial deployment commenced in 2018.

What you are referring to is the "specification manual". The technology and standard already exists and is in use;

In the United States, the four major carriers have all announced deployments: AT&T's[39] millimeter wave commercial deployments in 2018, Verizon's 5G fixed wireless launches in four U.S. cities and millimeter-wave deployments,[40] Sprint's launch in the 2.5 GHz band, and T-Mobile's 600 MHz 5G launch in 30 cities.[41]Vodafone performed the first UK trials in April 2018 using mid-band spectrum,[42] and China Telecom's initial 5G buildout in 2018 will use mid-band spectrum as well.[43] The world first service of 5G was in South Korea, as the South Korean telecoms deployed it all at once on 1 December 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G

Elite Override

Meanwhile in Stellenbosch:

Ping: 51ms
Download: 0.3Mbps
Upload: 0.08Mbps

Don't think upping the standards will help their woefully under-provisioned towers.

genetic

Honorary Master
Meanwhile in Stellenbosch:

Ping: 51ms
Download: 0.3Mbps
Upload: 0.08Mbps

Don't think upping the standards will help their woefully under-provisioned towers.

Of course it will, upgrading the towers will mean more capacity and data throughput.

genetic

Honorary Master
I challenge you to show me a Rain-branded cellphone site :) .They may have a Rain core but to my knowledge they share sites with e.g. Vodacom

Do you know that all networks share sites? They use their own antenna's and backbone.