Rain launches new 5G package for R699

phly

Expert Member
Million dollar question - Can 4G subscribers sign up for this?

HibiscusTunes

Expert Member
Yeah, been hearing more and more issues from 5g users. OTOH I know 5g users without ANY issues. So I guess YMMV.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Million dollar question - Can 4G subscribers sign up for this?
Nope the 4G fallback that works on the 5G simcards are only from the network ID 65573. If you do not pick up that network name and pick up 65538 or 65519 it will not work.

phly

Expert Member
Nope the 4G fallback that works on the 5G simcards are only from the network ID 65573. If you do not pick up that network name and pick up 65538 or 65519 it will not work.
Just gave them a call and they too broke my expectations in a similar fashion headlined by the word No. I guess i have no choice but to wait for 5G coverage. They did mention that they are looking at ways for providing an alternative 4G package but no ETA on when we will get a new product.

I dont mind the slower speeds if the connection is uncapped. It'll also help with cancelling any other packages i have and just have one provider for internet at home.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Just gave them a call and they too broke my expectations in a similar fashion headlined by the word No. I guess i have no choice but to wait for 5G coverage. They did mention that they are looking at ways for providing an alternative 4G package but no ETA on when we will get a new product.

I dont mind the slower speeds if the connection is uncapped. It'll also help with cancelling any other packages i have and just have one provider for internet at home.
FINALLY! Took them literally AGES.

phly

Expert Member
FINALLY! Took them literally AGES.
I think word that Vodacom is in bed with Liquid Telecom which also has some of that rare spectrum as well and planning to launch 5G has them scared/worried/concerned. So now they have a mission to try corner folks on all sides of the markets before new players come in and want a slice of the 5G pie.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
I think word that Vodacom is in bed with Liquid Telecom which also has some of that rare spectrum as well and planning to launch 5G has them scared/worried/concerned. So now they have a mission to try corner folks on all sides of the markets before new players come in and want a slice of the 5G pie.
Paid for my equipment outright so I move if I'm not happy. At the moment very very happy.

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
Unless I am missing something, this is even cheaper than Fibre.
Fibre @10Mbps averages over R700, this is triple the speed and no set up costs?
Yeah, 100% correct. Even at 200mbps for R1000 it is cheaper then its alternative.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Uhm I think we need to clarify a few things. Capping the speed to 30Mbps still means it's 5G.

5G is merely the technology used and it's maximum attainable speed given enough spectrum exactly like LTE currently. Given the fact that we are currently at LTE Category 19 with an attainable download rate of 1.56Gbps does that mean if you get 20Mbps on 4G/LTE that it's not 'real' 4G/LTE? No the technology used is still the same the speed will be determined on a vast number of factors including but not limited to signal strength, spectrum, equipment at the tower, CPE used.

A similar argument can be made when it comes to fibre. A single strand of fibre has great bandwidth capabilities but it gets limited by routers and the roll out methods used. This does not mean that someone on a 20Mbps fibre is not using 'real' fibre.

As such speed is irrelevant when we talk about the technology used. Speed needs to be look at it's own.

Last edited:

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Uhm I think we need to clarify a few things. Capping the speed to 30Mbps still means it's 5G.

5G is merely the technology used and it's maximum attainable speed given enough spectrum exactly like LTE currently. Given the fact that we are currently at LTE Category 19 with an attainable download rate of 1.56Gbps does that mean if you get 20Mbps on 4G/LTE that it's not 'real' 4G/LTE? No the technology used is still the same the speed will be determined on a vast number of factors including but not limited to signal strength, spectrum, equipment at the tower, CPE used.
Yeah but that is what the market perception is. Like a Ferrari with a 1.5 three-pot under the hood. Sure I could probably make it sound good but its not a Ferrari.