RAIN LTE-A: Speedtests

GhostShow

Hi all, so I just wanted to share, after fighting with Rain for over 6 months, I decided to ditch them and rather go for MTN, for R779 I get uncapped, and much much better speeds on LTE. Also better ping times, so now 3 people can play COD. Even on their 5G premium package with LOS of the tower, still got rubber banding and ping spikes. MTN just provides a better connection. If you have any issues with RAIN LTE, I suggest you drop them and see if you can do MTN

SkeletorZA

Ping
145ms
Download
38.22Mbps
Upload
1.54Mbps

Villieria, Pretoria on the unlimited home 5G basic

GhostShow

This is MTN LTE in the same area where I barely got 2Mbps during the day download, and if lucky over weekends 9Mbps.
This is faster that the speeds we got on 5G premium in Pretoria previously. Much better ping. I am done with Rain.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-14 120229.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-14 120229.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 30

Kaysway

This is MTN LTE in the same area where I barely got 2Mbps during the day download, and if lucky over weekends 9Mbps.
This is faster that the speeds we got on 5G premium in Pretoria previously. Much better ping. I am done with Rain.
Lol are you really sure youre done with rain this time? The way you keep coming back to this thread about how much youre done is worrying.

GhostShow

Lol are you really sure youre done with rain this time? The way you keep coming back to this thread about how much youre done is worrying.
Nah you are right, I just need to get them fined for causing interference then I can be done :p

Quintus26

Just had a call from a friend saying they took their Rain 5G router on holiday with them and it doesn't work since there is no 5G tower in the area. Another family member has taken their old Huawei B315 with a 4G sim on holiday to the same resort with them and it works lekker. Is there really no way to get the 5G router routing through the 4G tower nearby?

Leno

Expert Member
Just had a call from a friend saying they took their Rain 5G router on holiday with them and it doesn't work since there is no 5G tower in the area. Another family member has taken their old Huawei B315 with a 4G sim on holiday to the same resort with them and it works lekker. Is there really no way to get the 5G router routing through the 4G tower nearby?
Nope, no 4G fallback on the 5G sims

heinrikur

RAIN actual Youtube download speed compared to Cell C and Vodacom.
Speeds highlighted in green.

RAIN
[download] Downloading video 20 of 40
[youtube] *[REDACTED]*: Downloading webpage
[youtube] *[REDACTED]*: Downloading android player API JSON
[info] *[REDACTED]*: Downloading 1 format(s): 22
[download] Resuming download at byte 56810910
[download] Destination: *[REDACTED]*.mp4
[download] 72.3% of 157.22MiB at 113.03KiB/s ETA 06:33

Cell C
[download] Downloading video 23 of 40
[download] 24.3% of 163.18MiB at 1.97MiB/s ETA 01:02

Vodacom
[download] Downloading video 30 of 40
[download] Resuming download at byte 109827401
[download] 83.3% of 178.01MiB at 1.14MiB/s ETA 00:26

Last edited:

Boztik

Anyone using this. Im worried about the 2mb when the FUP is reached. Im using rain 4g at the moment witha outdoor antenna and man its soooooo bad during the 1 or 2mb when im lucky. Only after 12am i get between 10 and 20mb. I just want to know if this gonna be worth it.
Capture.JPG

Dretastic06

Anyone using this. Im worried about the 2mb when the FUP is reached. Im using rain 4g at the moment witha outdoor antenna and man its soooooo bad during the 1 or 2mb when im lucky. Only after 12am i get between 10 and 20mb. I just want to know if this gonna be worth it.
View attachment 1245764
which network is this?