Rain LTE bands

Kiemo

Expert Member
Quite some time ago I wanted to complain about why Rain was not showing 4G+ when other networks were and how they can claim they have an LTE-A network when in fact they don't.

Mybb forwarded that complaint to Rain and their networks head wrote to me in an email explaining how the 4G is set up. It might have changed recently but from what I have noticed doesn't look like it changed much.
And that’s why you one of our trusted sources on here …

jbroo

I just looked through all of my B2338's settings again and put it in auto mode, disabled locking, etc, could not find any manual CA setting. I know for a fact the *same* PCI I connect to broadcasts both B3 and B38 - I can force lock to B3 or B38 for the same PCI. On auto mode, router still just connects to B38. No CA.

@rain_mobile @rain_networks is CA between B3 and B38 allowed on the network? The B2338-168 spec sheet confirms it is supported. I have the correct firmware.

Nobody have any ideas on how to set up CA then? Rain has not responded.

GhostShow

Quite some time ago I wanted to complain about why Rain was not showing 4G+ when other networks were and how they can claim they have an LTE-A network when in fact they don't.

Mybb forwarded that complaint to Rain and their networks head wrote to me in an email explaining how the 4G is set up. It might have changed recently but from what I have noticed doesn't look like it changed much.
Well I know from all the areas I have tested that their B3 performs much better. Maybe because vodacom also uses B38.

rain_networks

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Thanks @rain_mobile. I can only guess it is either a hidden router setting, or a USSD code for the SIM...
Hi, CA on this router is automatic and requires that the FDD and TDD signal RX levels are very good. CA cannot be controlled manually on this router at all. CA is basically always on and you cannot force it, the network will automatically decide if it wants to grant CA or not.

chakniks

Nobody have any ideas on how to set up CA then? Rain has not responded.
Sadly when it comes to CA there seems to be some inconsistency.
I used to get it on the MR600 before I moved and at the new place I just could not get it.
I was also told the signal stats story and when I sent proof that my signal was better than the threshold they had told me, it got really quiet. Sadly I don't remember what numbers they told me I had to get for CA to work, but my router still did not aggregate with better signal stats.

• Wow
Reactions: Yuu

rain_networks

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Sadly when it comes to CA there seems to be some inconsistency.
I used to get it on the MR600 before I moved and at the new place I just could not get it.
I was also told the signal stats story and when I sent proof that my signal was better than the threshold they had told me, it got really quiet. Sadly I don't remember what numbers they told me I had to get for CA to work, but my router still did not aggregate with better signal stats.
CA is very sensitive, it needs good RSRP and good SNR, if SNR is even slightly poor it will not grant CA. Keep in mind, CA was designed for mobile phones with much more expensive chipsets than CPEs.

GhostShow

CA is very sensitive, it needs good RSRP and good SNR, if SNR is even slightly poor it will not grant CA. Keep in mind, CA was designed for mobile phones with much more expensive chipsets than CPEs.
What is needed? Because I have seen in places where rain and vodacom use the same tower, I can get 4CA or 5CA from vodacom, but nothing from rain? This is with a Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G

jbroo

Thanks @rain_networks. This will probably never happen on my lowly 0-5dB SINR. My RSRQ is decent, but my RSRP is also low. Understandable for a tower over 5km away. All my close cells are B3 and congested or out of range (elevation, obstructions). Mind you the cell I use is great when not congested. I'll keep on truckin' for now. It has been mostly decent for the last 3 weeks or so. This is good info to have though, thanks!