• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Rain mobile and Carrier agrigation?

So my question is pretty straight forward. Does rain mobile support carrier aggregation between their 1800Mhz and 2600Mhz Bands?

And is there a way to see which band you are connected to on an ipad?

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
Drom what I could gather and research. There isn't any available at the moment unfortunately.
Bummer. Let's see what Rain starts doing then once the delivery issue is fixed and they can start looking at adding device support. I'd be fine with just 2600MHz if that's the uncongested band on the towers near me.

I'll also have to figure out how to switch between the bands on my S7. I can see both network IDs.

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
See my post here https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/930982-RAIN-Mobile?p=21659967&viewfull=1#post21659967

I actually gotten some very nice info from Rain on how they run their network. In most cases they try for 4x4 mimo setup where the antennas allow. So a B618 should give you better speeds on the same band compared to a B315 if the tower is actually setup for 4x4 mimo and ignoring congestion obviously.

Once you have b3+b38 ca then the mimo gets bumped down to 2x2 mimo even if the tower supports 4x4 mimo.

Now for me personally CA works better even if you lose the 4x4 mimo advantage of a single carrier because of the sheer number of variables involved like how many users per tower, how many devices supports only b3 and what kind of bandwidth those people use and on what band. In my option I think CA just gives you an extra chance of getting better speeds because if b3 gets hammered 4x4 mimo is not going to help you.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
Agreed. MIMO is more for signal boosting than CA, which gives you more usable bandwidth. I'll have to ask them about the towers in my area to see which ones I should target when I eventually use an antenna setup from Poynting.

iCuSD

Ok excuse my dumbness so with what you talking about in the above to get better through put for now having the sim in a phone be better than in a fixed lte-a unit?

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
Ok excuse my dumbness so with what you talking about in the above to get better through put for now having the sim in a phone be better than in a fixed lte-a unit?
Currently? Yes. Or in a Huawei E5885 or the B2388. If the cell tower isn't congested, a B618 on Band 38, with or without an external antenna, is currently tested the most and seems to pass muster.

No idea on the TP-Link MR200 though.

Edit: This list of LTE-A capable devices will give you an idea of what to aim for. Anything with (2CA) next to it with the supported bands for rain (B3 and B38) should be decent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_devices_with_LTE_Advanced

Last edited: