• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Rain Mobile Feedback Thread

cavedog

Honorary Master
So lets make an official thread for feedback.

So they deliver simcards with Sendr and when the driver comes to deliver they do not accept copies. They take photos of the documents and rica the sim in front of you. Takes less than 1min for Rain to send confirmation and sim get's activated.

So I'm really keen to see this rain mobile setup.

Inserted the simcard into my S8 which actually supports carrier aggregation with bands 3 and band 38. Now Rain Mobile is actually a proper 4G+/LTE-A service.

Speed a proof of LTE-A below.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Free unlimited data for 15 days. Unlimited even during peak time for the first 15 days.

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Torrents limited to 100KB/s or ~1Mbps

Other traffic is full speed though.

Last edited:

phly

So someone actually got their sim today! Unbelievable. Amazing speeds though - thanks for the feedback. Mine has been pushed till tomorrow. I await to see if Rain will fall down in my area at their stated time. Impressive speeds though - and smart choice on their side to limit torrents as presumably thats where most "abuse" will stem from.

So someone actually got their sim today! Unbelievable. Amazing speeds though - thanks for the feedback. Mine has been pushed till tomorrow. I await to see if Rain will fall down in my area at their stated time. Impressive speeds though - and smart choice on their side to limit torrents as presumably thats where most "abuse" will stem from.
+1

cavedog

Honorary Master
So just like with Rain fixed LTE Rain runs the following setup:

LTE on Band3
LTE on Band 38
LTE-A band 3 and Band 38 aggregated.

For the best speeds LTE-A is the best but some device can't so make sure to choose between bands to check speeds.

cavedog

Honorary Master
So after like Midnight I would say torrents started to go at full speed and stayed full speed ever since. Tested torrents today an they are going at full speed ~6MB/s

Seems like the dashboard is not counting the unlimited data at all. So you won't know the data used during the uncapped times unless you count it yourself.

I'm guessing the GB's used in the dashboard is only shown for the billable data usage.

ripclaw

So after like Midnight I would say torrents started to go at full speed and stayed full speed ever since. Tested torrents today an they are going at full speed ~6MB/s

Seems like the dashboard is not counting the unlimited data at all. So you won't know the data used during the uncapped times unless you count it yourself.

I'm guessing the GB's used in the dashboard is only shown for the billable data usage.
Thanks for the feedback, CD. If Telkom aren't going to replace their 500GB for R50 offer, I'll seriously consider this.

Napalm

Expert Member
Ye.. rather skip rain.. or don't hold your breath... their support service and assistance is quite poor.. Very poor actually

They make promises.. change things around and "escalate" but then you call back 2 hours later.. and nothing has changed. (it is af if your previous call didn't even happen)

They still have wrong address, and keep wanting to change your delivery time and even the date now.

All they have to say for themself. "We are sorry for the inconvenience, Can we please reschedule your delivery" . It's almost like a template that they keep using over and over when you call in. or go onto the online chat.

cavedog

Honorary Master
ISP iBurst?

But [MENTION=41956]cavedog[/MENTION] speedtesh shows "rain"...
The ips and network belong to the old WBS/iBurst so when you do the speedtest on a pc or via wifi on your phone they whois the ip and detect the ISP which will show WBS or iBurst.

I have the simcard in my s8 so speedtest.net app picks up the carrier as being Rain and that is why they show Rain for my speedtests.

Napalm

Expert Member
The ips and network belong to the old WBS/iBurst so when you do the speedtest on a pc or via wifi on your phone they whois the ip and detect the ISP which will show WBS or iBurst.

I have the simcard in my s8 so speedtest.net app picks up the carrier as being Rain and that is why they show Rain for my speedtests.
Cavedog in your S8. Whats speeds do you get? does it show 4G+

cavedog

Honorary Master
Cavedog in your S8. Whats speeds do you get? does it show 4G+
The speedtest are from my S8 and yes it shows 4G+ always even when driving. Because there is no 3G on Rain calls obviously does not work and it always stays on 4G+ no matter how weak the signal gets. It would just lose signal and then get it back moving from coverage to no coverage areas for example.