RAIN Mobile

daiyaan

The rain mobile SIM card ( as it stands ) will be a data only SIM card. Offering looks attractive. Also no sign of roaming agreement as coverage still looks limited to cities.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Lovely so expecting TONS of dropped calls and voicemail forwarding... Since Rain only have LTE even with VoLTE how they going to make it work if they do even offer it. If the device switches between frequencies when traveling calls would probably drop unless they only allow it on one of their frequency.

If it's data only like VoIP then it will be a even worse fail because when I used my Rain sim in my S8 before the network device lock coverage was horrible. Battery was draining hard while traveling so yeah.

daiyaan

Lovely so expecting TONS of dropped calls and voicemail forwarding... Since Rain only have LTE even with VoLTE how they going to make it work if they do even offer it. If the device switches between frequencies when traveling calls would probably drop unless they only allow it on one of their frequency.

If it's data only like VoIP then it will be a even worse fail because when I used my Rain sim in my S8 before the network device lock coverage was horrible. Battery was draining hard while traveling so yeah.
It is kind of hard for them to get a roaming agreement as it will essentially turn Rain into a power house network and the roaming partner might not like that.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Did you consider that they locked it down specifically because then it would be a sub par offering and people would complaining as you are now?

daiyaan

So I've been using the rain mobile SIM for few days and it's very fast. Faster than my afrihost fixed lte ( which is also rain ). Product is packaged and sold as a data only SIM. Coverage is pretty good in Cape Town. Everything is done via the app- from ordering to delivery and managing your sim cards. If they can secure a good roaming deal for out of town coverage, I believe this is a disrupter

So I've been using the rain mobile SIM for few days and it's very fast. Faster than my afrihost fixed lte ( which is also rain ). Product is packaged and sold as a data only SIM. Coverage is pretty good in Cape Town. Everything is done via the app- from ordering to delivery and managing your sim cards. If they can secure a good roaming deal for out of town coverage, I believe this is a disrupter
Tell us more, what is prices like?

LOTR

Excellent speeds - any contacts to enable us to join the alpha testing in Jhbg? ;)

I was on the Early.Connect deal for the LTE-A fixed launch.

daiyaan

Tell us more, what is prices like?
The options availed to me were single pack (1sim), gadget pack (2 sims) or family pack (4sims )

The sims all come with unlimited data. Had to pay a once off fee for delivery.

Not sure what the commercial price will be.

The options availed to me were single pack (1sim), gadget pack (2 sims) or family pack (4sims )

The sims all come with unlimited data. Had to pay a once off fee for delivery.

Not sure what the commercial price will be.
Nice, def looking at switching network soon so this might be option.

Through cellc gives me wifi calling which I really like.

daiyaan

I suggested that Wi-Fi calling might be something that rain has to look into since it's data only atm

I was thinking, there might be a way to trick the phone it's connected to a Wi-Fi network when it's actually just connected to it's own data- thereby enabling it to make a traditional call over data ... any ideas of this possibly working?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Nice. So for their fixed wireless network they prevent users from using carrier aggregation but with Rain Mobile they allow it because it's open to all devices...... Sigh I doubt their voice will be anything to get excited about.

daiyaan

Nice. So for their fixed wireless network they prevent users from using carrier aggregation but with Rain Mobile they allow it because it's open to all devices...... Sigh I doubt their voice will be anything to get excited about.
The SIM cannot make any voice calls

dillydog

Why not load Zoiper or a Similar Soft phone and get a free VOIP number and test calls that way, as long as signal is good your calls should be reasonable...

Genisys

Executive Member
Why not load Zoiper or a Similar Soft phone and get a free VOIP number and test calls that way, as long as signal is good your calls should be reasonable...
Depending on the VoIP provider they might even have their own app as well

dillydog

yep! and if the experience is good you can consider purchasing a soft phone with g729 to improve compression without taking a quality hit...