Rain Network Is Absurdly Slow

lsetlhodi

Folks, I cannot be the only one experiencing the slowness. I mean I have to wake up early to work because during the day the network is crap.
Now even early this morning I'm faced with slowness. How is one to work like this?

In case you want speedtest as I'm assuming that's what you gonna ask me, please see the below.

For you curiosity, please check the time the screenshots were taken, please do something about this or at least recommend an alternative solution if not the network itself.

speed1.png speed2.png

GDDeJong

When I opened a support call around exactly the same issue, they told me to reset my router and I lost my temper and laid a complaint.

The “technician“ who called me up later personally advised me to rather cancel my subscription because the Rain network is hopelessly oversubscribed.

I’ve since cancelled but they are still billing me.

chakniks

I am actually getting rather slow speeds as well today.

I don't think it is congestion because I work up early in the morning as well and just noticed the speed was just really slow. I highly doubt that every1 is now an early bird. Also due to the fact that B3 which is the more congested band was still running fine(meaning the 8-15mbps it gives in the mornings only) at the time. I suspected there is probably some issue at Rain like those bugged configs of theirs which they pointed out when 5G was not performing in some places.

nad_isa

Folks, I cannot be the only one experiencing the slowness. I mean I have to wake up early to work because during the day the network is crap.
Now even early this morning I'm faced with slowness. How is one to work like this?

In case you want speedtest as I'm assuming that's what you gonna ask me, please see the below.

For you curiosity, please check the time the screenshots were taken, please do something about this or at least recommend an alternative solution if not the network itself.

View attachment 907612 View attachment 907614

you are not alone...

there are many people there with you...

there are couple of threads of things you can try if you havent already (depending on you situation)..

Craig_

Honorary Master
Whenever there's loadshedding in town, my rain speeds slow down to a crawl, sometimes my telkom sims and my vodacon work sim decides to do the same thing as well, at the same time. Most other times I get 8 to 10 mbps. About once every second week or so it'd slow down for an hour or two, otherwise I'm happy.

chakniks

I am admittedly not a networking guru and still have lots to learn but I believe this issue now seems to be a matter of throttling from Rain. When the tower is congested the signal stats are usually very terrible but this is not the case today. Also I did a speedtest comparison and it seems to indicate that there is potentially throttling happening here.
1599554674571.png
1599554742187.png
1599554774844.png

lsetlhodi

What's sad is that they don't even own up to the issue. I guess it's time to start shopping around for a better ISP though it's almost as looking for less of the evils. I'm very disappointed, I thought RAIN would be better but they just don't care about their customers too.

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep

View attachment 907612 View attachment 907614

Hi, thank you for reaching out. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the delayed response.

Kindly PM the email address linked to your rain profile to be able to assist further.

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
When I opened a support call around exactly the same issue, they told me to reset my router and I lost my temper and laid a complaint.

The “technician“ who called me up later personally advised me to rather cancel my subscription because the Rain network is hopelessly oversubscribed.

I’ve since cancelled but they are still billing me.

Hi, I do apologize for the bad service received.

Kindly PM the email address linked to your rain profile, I will get an agent to contact you back regarding the issue you are experiencing.

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
I am admittedly not a networking guru and still have lots to learn but I believe this issue now seems to be a matter of throttling from Rain. When the tower is congested the signal stats are usually very terrible but this is not the case today. Also I did a speedtest comparison and it seems to indicate that there is potentially throttling happening here.
View attachment 907762
View attachment 907764
View attachment 907766

Hi, please accept my apologies for the delayed response.

Kindly PM the email address linked to your rain profile for further assistance.

Adxe

Hi, please accept my apologies for the delayed response.

Kindly PM the email address linked to your rain profile for further assistance.
Well I have been trying to get a hold of rain customer service, from the website to twitter none seem to work(I am highly disappointed with the twitter service) I have my email linked to the account 2 days ago no response
I have been getting low-speed for up to 2 weeks even placed the 5G router outside, nothing has changed

netstrider

Expert Member
If you have money to spare, MTN in Gauteng is great, can't speak for their performance in the Cape. Telkom is hit and miss, but even they are better than this.

defcomk

If you have money to spare, MTN in Gauteng is great, can't speak for their performance in the Cape. Telkom is hit and miss, but even they are better than this.
is it month to month or contract?
My mtn sim always flying 4G+ coverage everywhere

netstrider

Expert Member
is it month to month or contract?
My mtn sim always flying 4G+ coverage everywhere
To get decent data with MTN it's always a contract, but they do upgrade you freely every so often though (1-2 years).

1601416303197.png

I can tell you one thing, I've got a 40GB + 40GB deal with MTN and I've never lagged on CSGO and I get 80Mbps+ with them all the time.

This is just now, admittedly chilled time of day, but gives you an idea, using nothing else than my phone.

Screenshot_20200929-235411_MyBroadband Speed Test.jpg

defcomk

To get decent data with MTN it's always a contract, but they do upgrade you freely every so often though (1-2 years).

View attachment 924173

I can tell you one thing, I've got a 40GB + 40GB deal with MTN and I've never lagged on CSGO and I get 80Mbps+ with them all the time.

This is just now, admittedly chilled time of day, but gives you an idea, using nothing else than my phone.

View attachment 924175
oof that speed more than enough for me.

the 150/220GB look good.

i wonder if its possible to take say the 75/75 and upgrade to a higher cap or downgrade, also is it locked to a certain tower or can use it on the move ?