Rain plans to add 5G coverage to 5,000 new households per day in 2021

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Rain plans to add 5G coverage to 5,000 new households per day in 2021

Mobile network operator Rain plans to accelerate its 5G network rollout to cover an estimated 5,000 new households each day for the rest of the year, the company has told MyBroadband.

Based on these figures, it aims to add over 1 million households to its 5G coverage area over the next seven months. Rain is also planning to expand its 5G coverage to smaller towns.

Rain was the first to launch a commercial 5G service in South Africa in September 2019, offering a single uncapped, unthrottled package at R999 per month.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
5000 per day? Sounds implausible?

Let's assume 1 tower or access point per 500 households, considering 5G doesn't perform as well long distance.

So 10 new towers per day, for the next 224 days (till 31 December including Public Holidays and weekends).

2240 new towers to be deployed. That's a very aggressive rollout.

If it was China, Korea or Japan I'd say it's doable... considering it's Rain, I have serious doubts, but I'd like to be proven wrong..

Also the above is just dumb napkin math, I don't know anything about these Networks.

Reactions: Yuu

Joseph matane

You’d think the article would go into detail about the where and how, instead we’re given a history lesson about rain.
This is the case always with Liquid Intelligent Technologies, they like to mention other African markets they operate in, even if headlines says "Liquid Intelligent Technologies expand Fibre To small towns in SA"
You won't see details like town's name by name liquid will just mention province, add start mentioning " we have ........KM Fibre. Covering ........ Countries etc

Joseph matane

Let's assume 1 tower or access point per 500 households, considering 5G doesn't perform as well long distance.

So 10 new towers per day, for the next 224 days (till 31 December including Public Holidays and weekends).

2240 new towers to be deployed. That's a very aggressive rollout.

If it was China, Korea or Japan I'd say it's doable... considering it's Rain, I have serious doubts, but I'd like to be proven wrong..

Also the above is just dumb napkin math, I don't know anything about these Networks.
My guess is all towers that used to have rain fixed-LTE coverage back in the beginning will be prioritised

• Love

comanche

It would be interesting if Rain actually opened up a grid of where they want to expand. I'm sure users would be happy to host a tower in exchange for some monthly coin and a good 5G connection.

comanche

It would be interesting if Rain actually opened up a grid of where they want to expand. I'm sure users would be happy to host a tower in exchange for some monthly coin and a good 5G connection.
Though, I know that they'll likely focus on lemming complexes, where they can market to 250 households within a 500m radius, instead of where I'm at in the middle of nowhere.

Slav

Rain is clutching at straws, they know StarLink is coming and they won't be able to compete with it regardless of the price difference. Fibre will handle established areas and Starlink will cover the areas that are far out or where it isn't feasible.
I could see a situation where people band together and use a single starlink for 2- 6 households depending on the speed achieved.
Although highly unlikely government could reach some sort of agreement with Elon Tusk to provide internet access to rural areas where fibre/5G would not reach in the next couple of decades.

Joseph matane

This might be possible if rain and Vodacom agreement now include deploying 5G and 4G simultaneously, which means rain can upgrade "passive" infrastructure in more Tower's across SA

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Rain is clutching at straws, they know StarLink is coming and they won't be able to compete with it regardless of the price difference. Fibre will handle established areas and Starlink will cover the areas that are far out or where it isn't feasible.
I could see a situation where people band together and use a single starlink for 2- 6 households depending on the speed achieved.
Although highly unlikely government could reach some sort of agreement with Elon Tusk to provide internet access to rural areas where fibre/5G would not reach in the next couple of decades.
Just no, Starlink will not work well in cities if there is too much uptake, for a city the size of Cape Town it's expected a max of 3 will be covering it at any time, so it will handle maybe 20k users at speeds for 1080p YT.
Starlink is great for more rural, farms, small towns, etc., not city which is what rain's target market is.

It should be:
- extremely high density like apartments get fiber to the building/basement, that breaks out to each apartment
- medium to high density with houses <50-100m from each other should be fiber as long as over middle income level (so can spend R500 on internet)
- low density or very low income should have 5G as primary connection, places like townships, or if houses are still within sight of each other (as in not far in the distance, but <500m)
- then Starlink.

That then Starlink used to be covered by WISPs, that target market should migrate over (if they can afford it).

MeestaR

Expert Member
Well, if Rain is "connecting" 5000 people per day on 5G, is the backhaul going to handle this type of load?
Or is it going to be one of this hype things where everybody gets Rain, but then get terrible speeds, because of the amount of traffic that's flowing and the backhaul is overloaded?