Rain R250 to the 4g unlimited

carnagelan

Hi Guys,
I am in the 19 hour rain package at the moment. I want to upgrade to the unlimited R479 package. I cant get holed of them.

Do they send a new sim card or do i use my existing rain sim card. How long after applying will it be activated....From the new month?

chakniks

You don't need a new sim card. The upgrade can be done on the existing sim card.
My upgrade took three days after contacting them via online chat. However some other guys said it was quicker for them.

Hence, I imagine it will be in the range of 24 hrs to three days once you get a hold of them as well.

James946

I've been waiting for my upgrade since sunday, should've rather ordered the sim

master4real

I am also looking into upgrading to the unlimited R479 package. My download and upload speed on the R250 off-peak package is between 10 - 20mbs. Whilst I dont have a problem with the 10mbs limit, my only concern is the limitation of videos quality to 360p. Has anyone ordered this package and is the video quality throttled to 360p?

Crumbl0x

I am also looking into upgrading to the unlimited R479 package. My download and upload speed on the R250 off-peak package is between 10 - 20mbs. Whilst I dont have a problem with the 10mbs limit, my only concern is the limitation of videos quality to 360p. Has anyone ordered this package and is the video quality throttled to 360p?
yes they hard limit domains to 1-2mbps which procures a 360/480p quality limit

James946

Sent the email to their support on Sunday as well, still waiting for a reply or for the upgrade.
they replied and said they upgraded me, was like 10 mins before 6. seems they gave me 5 gigs of pay as you use data to use until my 24h uncapped kicks in at 12

almorgs

In my area there is no buffering on Netflix. It takes about a minute for the show to play and then about 5 min for it to go from what looks like 144 to 480. It stays at 480 for the duration then...sometimes it seems to get to 720
Youtube seems a little worse than Netflix but in some instances I have managed to get 720 (but rarely).

I thought it was going to be a problem, and I suppose it is, but for R479 (and no ADSL or fiber in my area) its something I can live with.

Downloads (Steam / web etc) are between 1mbps - 3.2mbps).

Also, my card took 3 days to upgrade from unlimited offpeak to 24/7 uncapped

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
They finally emailed me how to. Even know I got sim card more than a week a go.

Sunesh Rambally (rain)
Mar 30, 09:45 SAST
Hi

I apologize for the delay in reply,

If you already have an active 4G SIM with us then, simply visit www.rain.co.za/contact-us and click on the chat icon on the bottom left of the page. The chat window will open, wait a few seconds until the "get in touch" button appears. Click on the button and then click "leave a message".

Select the "4G plan upgrade to unlimited 24/7" and input the required fields. Please make sure your SIM number is correct as this is used to complete the upgrade (this can be obtained from your rain dashboard).

Upgrades will take up to 3-5 days due to the high demand for this product and the reduced staff during this COVID-19 pandemic. You will receive an email once the upgrade is complete. Please note that when the upgrade is done your dashboard might show pay as you use but it will be updated overnight to unlimited 24/7 in a batch process.

How will my bill be calculated for the month, when I upgrade:

Pro rata of the unlimited off peak plan until the date the upgrade is complete
Peak usage
Pro rata of the unlimited 24/7 plan from day after the upgrade to the end of the month
Your bill will be the sum of (1) + (2) + (3)

For example, if the upgrade happens on the 25th of March 2020:

Unlimited off peak plan = R250 * 25/31 = R201,61
Peak usage = R0
Unlimited 24/7 plan = R479 * 6/31 = R92,71
Total bill for month end will be R201,61 + R0 + R92,71 = R294,32

Nkosi sikelel' Afrika

Ziwa83

Hi. I requested to upgrade last week Monday, and I am still waiting. I am tired of waiting in a virtual queue for them to tell me it'll upgrade today. Is there someone I can contact here on My Broadband?

chakniks

Trust me you will be back here asking how to downgrade with the quickness.
LOL. This is too funny.
Indeed the speed cut is almost insane.
I lamented the lack of speed when a mere 27gb game download needed over 7 hours.
R250 package would have done the job in under 2 hours.

Dusté

The 4G uncapped is basically unusable. Took me an hour and change to download a 500mb file, only one device can stream at a time (at 240p-360p of course) and it's virtually impossible to downgrade once you have it because the agreement is sealed with blood and you'll need 4 wizards of considerable strength to get out of it.

If you want to maintain your sanity during quarantine, don't upgrade.Screenshot_2020-04-02-09-23-39-066_com.android.chrome.jpg