Rain R250 uncapped offer ending 30th June

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I've noticed that Rain is realllyy sensitive to how far you are away from a tower. Close to it will easily give you 50mbps while being a bit further than 1km away will bring it down to 10mbps
I'm less than a km from the tower and get only 6mb but then again my house is below road level

boom

This is what I'm getting right now while also at the same time downloading a Playstation game, normally I get close to 20mb. I'm in Eerste River, Bluedowns near Kuilsriver.
Been smooth sailing since I bought my sim, other than the once or twice a month I had to reboot my router for it to receive signal. View attachment 669151
1560080915023.png

rejodasi

Speeds are normal here, upload has been crappy since the start of 2019, used to get 18Mbps. Ping has improved though from 30-40ms to as low as 16ms at most times. 20190609_142003.jpeg

Napalm

Expert Member
4K struggles during the 6pm to 11pm times. (when speeds are capped to around 6mbit) - I cannot stream 2min without freezing somewhere during the 5min music video.

I would say if you can have 10mbit true speed (1.25mb per seconds downstream) the 4K would stream 100% without having to pause / buffer. It would stream fast enough to always stay ahead of the game.

KopiteZA

View attachment 669385

Tell me were not getting throttled...
Might just be that you're in a more congested area. What I can tell you is people around my area is oblivious to Rain, even though we dont have any fibre or ADSL over here. Most of the guys i know here are happy to download 250mb movies with their crappy telkom/cell c connections
But I can promise you, never have I suspected Rain of throttling my service. My guess is as long as the tower you're connecting to isn't congested then you'll get the best possible speed still.

ngoni615

Might just be that you're in a more congested area. What I can tell you is people around my area is oblivious to Rain, even though we dont have any fibre or ADSL over here. Most of the guys i know here are happy to download 250mb movies with their crappy telkom/cell c connections
But I can promise you, never have I suspected Rain of throttling my service. My guess is as long as the tower you're connecting to isn't congested then you'll get the best possible speed still.
I can tell you that i am not living in a congested area. i average 86mbs most of the time

BBSA

Honorary Master
The offer ends disclaimer is gone. View attachment 669829
“We have decided to remove the copy from the website tomorrow for some planned changes on the site,” Rain’s chief marketing officer Khaya Dlanga told MyBroadband.

“The sale of the R250 Unlimited Off-Peak plan will continue after June meaning it won’t end on the 30th of this month due to popular demand.”

“The new tariffs will only be introduced when we launch 5G later this year. We will announce the date later.”

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cell...-off-peak-plan-to-end-but-some-good-news.html

ProfA

Honorary Master
“We have decided to remove the copy from the website tomorrow for some planned changes on the site,” Rain’s chief marketing officer Khaya Dlanga told MyBroadband.

“The sale of the R250 Unlimited Off-Peak plan will continue after June meaning it won’t end on the 30th of this month due to popular demand.”

“The new tariffs will only be introduced when we launch 5G later this year. We will announce the date later.”

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cell...-off-peak-plan-to-end-but-some-good-news.html
Of course it wont end. Why would you stop sales of a popular product, when you know that you can simply "South African ISP" the problem by lowerings speeds of everyone the more people sign on, and keep profiting.

boom

Not trying to necro this thread but logged a ticket with RAIN about the crappy speeds. They "did something" wont tell me what and all is back to normal. Experiencing great speeds again. I heavily rely on RAIN during the day for my homeschooling kids. If there were better prices than R50 per gig for the 6-11pm slots I would probably have them as my sole LTE provider.

ngoni615

Not trying to necro this thread but logged a ticket with RAIN about the crappy speeds. They "did something" wont tell me what and all is back to normal. Experiencing great speeds again. I heavily rely on RAIN during the day for my homeschooling kids. If there were better prices than R50 per gig for the 6-11pm slots I would probably have them as my sole LTE provider.
Yes the r50/gig tends to become quite expensive in the long run hahahah.