Rain R250 uncapped offer ending 30th June

Swa

Honorary Master
The only thing they're lacking is an option for 6-11pm.

phly

Expert Member
I was really hoping for a deal to drop today - being 1st July and all

Last edited:

phly

Expert Member
Like what?

I dont know if you recall but when they mistakenly posted that they are doing away with the bolt on package for new sign ups they mentioned of a package deal coming in July. So that is what i was counting on. I would not need to be switching sims etc. A full day uncapped option - they can even "shape" or throttle in the evenings but give us full 24hrs data. They will truly shake up the data scene then - even for those on fibre

phly

Expert Member
Will probably be somewhere after September with the 5G launch.

I know the CEO mentioned they are launching 5G in september but i really hoped for something before then. 5G will eat more data and require newer modems even - good to have the tech and be future proof and even though the discrepancy between what they have on offer and the competition is big they should just nail the coffin with a 24hr deal.

The attached is the article that was ran before Rain redacted their cancellation stance - https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cell...-off-peak-plan-to-end-but-some-good-news.html

The image at the bottom of the link shows the snapshot that has the convo I was referring to when I stated a deal in July.

Swa

Honorary Master
I know the CEO mentioned they are launching 5G in september but i really hoped for something before then. 5G will eat more data and require newer modems even - good to have the tech and be future proof and even though the discrepancy between what they have on offer and the competition is big they should just nail the coffin with a 24hr deal.

The attached is the article that was ran before Rain redacted their cancellation stance - https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cell...-off-peak-plan-to-end-but-some-good-news.html

The image at the bottom of the link shows the snapshot that has the convo I was referring to when I stated a deal in July.
Ah I see that was a Twitter conversation most likely. Think they canned the new deal for the time being when they decided to keep the R250. New plans will likely be on both 5G and 4G.

phly

Expert Member
I had even called their support and they assured me something is coming but they dont know what exactly. Perhaps thats why I had high hopes for something new and fresh and hopefully better. They also gave up on their fixed LTE clients so it should make sense to force those clients to jump on their bandwagon with a better package. It's still early days - we have waited years since R2 a MB for data to fall, we can afford to wait a few more months.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I ordered this on Friday last week. I didn't even know it was ending. Lucky me then.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I just noticed earlier that Rain only charges for data used. Had no clue it was a thing even below R50. My FNB transaction history shows that last month's Rain charge was R18.

Damn, that's super impressive. Definitely keeping it as a secondary sim then.

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
I wonder how good their profit is on 6PM-11PM data usage? I would not mind being capped at 100GB and having 20GB for 6PM-11PM usage.

Maybe though, 90% of those R250 offpeak signups are only using around 10GB following the first few months and another 2-5GB of peak usage. Enough users adding an additional R100-R200 ARPU to make it foolish of them to offer better peak usage packages. Or maybe they make so much more via the Vodacom roaming agreement that having increased peak usage would be detrimental to their current network capacity.

They must have crunched the numbers and decided to carry on status quo on the uncapped package.

JohnnyM

I was getting +/- 60Mb/sec during the day but has now dropped to 17Mb/sec, however after 11pm it's now up to 55Mb/sec. Cannot complain about Rain for R250 per month, try buying Vodacom, MTN or Cell C data? Am using Telkom Mobile for the 6pm - 11pm period @ R24 for 2 gigs. Sorry for the guys with rubbish reception but I'm very happy (Randpark Ridge, Randburg) Tested today (Wednesday) at 14h00, back up to 55Mb/sec

Last edited: