Rain Speed and Stability issues after load shedding

Scorpion101

Hi guys, I am currently experiencing terrible speed and reliability issues. It has been some time that I have had to complain about the quality of service so i thought it best to check if i am the only one effected. My current speed fluctuates between 95mb and 140mb. Ping is around 35ms. Your feedback would be highly appreciated...... Thanks

jbroo

Hi guys, I am currently experiencing terrible speed and reliability issues. It has been some time that I have had to complain about the quality of service so i thought it best to check if i am the only one effected. My current speed fluctuates between 95mb and 140mb. Ping is around 35ms. Your feedback would be highly appreciated...... Thanks
Presumably this is 5G? My LTE trickles along at 4mbps even during load shedding. The tower may be in a different block to me though.

Last edited:

Scorpion101

Presumably this is 5G? My LTE trickles along at 4mbps even during load shedding. The towen may bebin a different block to me though.
Yes it is 5G, my usual speed is around 200mb + but today after load shedding the line has become very unstable and the download erratic tried rebooting the router etc problem persists.

Kiemo

Expert Member
Presumably this is 5G? My LTE trickles along at 4mbps even during load shedding. The tower may be in a different block to me though.
Bro that tower you connected to is it still holding up ? I need to find myself a better tower as well

jbroo

Bro that tower you connected to is it still holding up ? I need to find myself a better tower as well
Nope, it got bad so I went back to an 1800mhz tower. Poor signal but the tower is not congested so it works well enough.

Kiemo

Expert Member
Nope, it got bad so I went back to an 1800mhz tower. Poor signal but the tower is not congested so it works well enough.
Geez bro ... I feel you ... my tower I’m locked to was great but it’s bad now ... so I’m unsure I’ll have to see to move the router again to point it to other towers ... what settings are you using to switch towers ? On the B2338

Scorpion101

Presumably this is 5G? My LTE trickles along at 4mbps even during load shedding. The towen may bebin a different block to me though.
Yes it is 5G, my usual speed is around 200mb + but today after load shedding the line has become very unstable and the download erratic tried rebooting the router etc problem persists.
Good Morning @Scorpion101

Pleas PM me your email address let me take a look for you.
Hi, i have pmd you please check inbox. thanks for your response.

mojoman

Rain offline since 10am where I am...we had load shedding till 8.30am...network came back up for an hour or so and then that was that. No more rain network.

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Rain offline since 10am where I am...we had load shedding till 8.30am...network came back up for an hour or so and then that was that. No more rain network.
Received PM will communicate via PM

MisDieRekt

@Kiemo @jbroo how are you guys latching to other towers on the B2338? I have 3 towers near me all less than 500 to 700M one is in line of sight But I cannot get mine to lock onto the actual closer tower. It keeps latching onto the further away tower thats smack bam in the middle of a built up residential area, the tower I want to latch onto and that I have line of sight of is in an industrial are which would mean better speeds for me as the area already has fibre to that the tower serves.

Kiemo

Expert Member
Y
@Kiemo @jbroo how are you guys latching to other towers on the B2338? I have 3 towers near me all less than 500 to 700M one is in line of sight But I cannot get mine to lock onto the actual closer tower. It keeps latching onto the further away tower thats smack bam in the middle of a built up residential area, the tower I want to latch onto and that I have line of sight of is in an industrial are which would mean better speeds for me as the area already has fibre to that the tower serves.
you actually have to set it to Auto so it can latch onto that tower and lock it afterwards @jbroo his more technical where it comes to that info ...

MisDieRekt

@Kiemo , Ive tried that, Direct line of sight and it's still latching onto a tower over the hill in a residential area...... @jbroo mind popping me a PM or something if you have the time ?

Kiemo

Expert Member
@Kiemo , Ive tried that, Direct line of sight and it's still latching onto a tower over the hill in a residential area...... @jbroo mind popping me a PM or something if you have the time ?
@jbroo told me to set it on Auto and restart the router for it to latch onto a tower you want ... you can also check with rain to delatch you and point your router that way ... remember the PCI ... info ... that’s the tower number ... so check that as well ...

Kiemo

Expert Member
You have to play around and reboot it ... like @jbroo told me ... but the last time I did this the settings was actually on Maneul so that made me give up because the person I asked to reset it and check the settings on the PC didn’t no how to change it back ... to Auto ... so I spent a hour trying all the time with no luck ...

So keep that in mind ...

Also take note of your PCI ... Write down the tower ID that’s what the PCI is ... so I think @jbroo has all his info which makes it easy for him ... I want to do the same as you do ... lock to a tower which I think a lot of people aren’t connect to that I no for a fact but it really takes time

MisDieRekt

@Kiemo Yeah Ive tried the whole restart and auto thing, same PCI and DL EARFCN no matter which way I point this thing even after restarts......

Apart from driving to right under the tower location with my B315S in my charger port in hte car as the B315s runs on 12V just to get the tower details I have no idea why when it's line of sight it chooses to latch onto a worse tower behind a hill......

Kiemo

Expert Member
@Kiemo Yeah Ive tried the whole restart and auto thing, same PCI and DL EARFCN no matter which way I point this thing even after restarts......

Apart from driving to right under the tower location with my B315S in my charger port in hte car as the B315s runs on 12V just to get the tower details I have no idea why when it's line of sight it chooses to latch onto a worse tower behind a hill......
Speak to rain ... see if they can delatch you ... and try from there ... let’s see if that works ... and keep us posted ... I’ll try that next weekend as well because my speeds has been giving me problems ... and it’s bad

MisDieRekt

@Kiemo Fully agreed, it has been bad lately, lockdown saw a lot of people adopting rain sims as a lot of people's primary internet access was the Wi-Fi at their workplaces...

I wish, well actually rain saw this coming and didn't upgrade to accommodate, adding more towers would have also helped, and the rental for rooftops inst that high TBH. I used to work for a wish as the Head of Technology and Admin So I used to see the books, An I used to see what we were paying for high site rental fees, trust me 1 - 3 clients paid for the rental (including power costs), if you take the backup batts and inverters into account which is once-off and battery maintenance every so many year's max 10 clients. and we used to run an easy 50 clients per node.

So it amazes me how many people can connect to one 4G base why rain hasn't "Upgraded"

I have one theory, all of their capital is going into the 5G expansion and the 4G infrastructure is falling behind which if that is the case sucks, I am in Pinetown, KZN, and Guaranteed Durban Central / Umhlanga, and the upper market areas will be targeted for 5G rollout first leaving the areas that actually need the 5G coverage to catchup another year to 2 down the line. (go look at the JHB and CPT areas they have coverage in(Mostly Areas with FIBRE alredy))

But it's rain let's wait and see. who knows Trevor Noah might be making RAIN ISP jokes soon the way there going.