RAIN - Throttling Download Speeds

nmccullo

Since when has RAIN started throttling download speeds? For a while I thought it was an issue with my router or local base station, but it is now apparent that RAIN is throttling my download speeds.

Speedtest shows an amazing download speed of 70mbps. When I download anything from Steam in the evenings, it drops to 4mbps (600KBPs). I've tried every server. Downloads from the net = 4mbps (600KBPs). Switch to Speedtest, 70mbps. After 11 the Steam download speed jumps to 8MBPs.

This is complete horse sh#t. Why the #$%^ would I pay for LTE, only to get 4mbps during peak hours? What's with the throttling? Is this 2014? You design a *** network. Invite everyone to connect and then your performance goes down the drain - who would have guessed?

Unfortunately I do not have any other options, so I'm stuck with RAIN for now.

Edit: I see this was reported on by MB... It's still crap though.

Last edited:

Dretastic06

It has been so for a couple of months now, I am looking at getting the uncapped and like a 50GB package from Cell C to use during peaks because Rain's speeds are pathetic.

BravoDrie

This is why I cancelled my RAIN service. It is completely unusable for me because I only use my internet that time of night when I am home - like most people. I could have well just kept my 4MB ADSL line for a fraction of the price - uncapped too.

BravoDrie

Just to add, they initially claimed they are not throttling me and to send them speedtest .net screenshots. On speedtest . net the speed is amazing even during those hours, but try another speed test and then you get the same results as a Steam download. They obviously forgot to add the google speed test to the exclusion list of the throttling filters or something. They still haven't replied to me when I called them out on it.

envo

Expert Member
its wireless, stop bitching, you were forewarned by multiple people that this would happen. So either suck it up and get an actual fibre line or telkom ADSL line, or be happy with your speeds you get now, kids in africa has slow internet speeds :eek:

BravoDrie

its wireless, stop bitching, you were forewarned by multiple people that this would happen. So either suck it up and get an actual fibre line or telkom ADSL line, or be happy with your speeds you get now, kids in africa has slow internet speeds :eek:
No, it doesn't matter that it is wireless. I were never warned that they would throttle me exactly to 4Mb/s from 6PM to 11PM. In fact there was no throttling for first couple of months. I did get fiber. I doubt the kids in Africa pay top dollar for fast internet - also how is that even relevant to this conversation? If you are implying we should be great full for even having internet - then also no, not when we are paying X amount for a agreed service and the company does not hold to said agreement.

Look, one can understand fluctuations in the service up and down from time to time when the service is underload but not a blatant throttle (and lying about it) for the whole evening when you actually want you to use it.

nmccullo

I spoke to Webafrica. It seems they are not even aware of the throttling. They are convinced it's only the Mobile uncapped guys who are being throttled. I send them the "evidence" as well as the response from Afrihost in another thread. How deceitful do you have to be, to not even inform your ISP partners about the change in policy?

5 hour throttling during peak hours? It supposedly only impacts a few people (those using steam, torrents and large internet downloads), whilst the rest of the masses "streaming Netflix" are blissfully unaware of this so-called "LTE" rip-off they pay for each month. I don't care if I'm in the minority. Your product is a rip-off and does not perform as advertised (LTE sometimes and only under certain conditions.) It's like buying a f%ckhg sports car, only to find out the engine has been modified so that you can only drive at >100 km/h during certain hours on a select number of freeways (and not knowing that when you first buy the car).

I chose LTE for the Bandwidth. I want to download things in minutes, not hours. Otherwise I would have stayed with my *** uncapped 10mbps ADSL connection. It might not hurt their bottom-line, but I'll make sure every friend, family member and colleague stay away from RAIN.

Last edited:

mrlgm007

i am on a 55gig which is capped data and between 6 and 11 the network is useless.

Speed test before 6 is 25 Down and 4 up and after 6 its 2 Down and no upload speed.

Pablo

I can also verify the throttling of certain traffic at peak times. Using PIA VPN (Cape Town server) causes the throttling to cease.
If Rain doesn't stop or make users aware of this policy I'm definitely going to cancel, the only reason I haven't switched thus far is that I'm still locked into their double data promotion with rollover.

phly

Out of curiosity - with all the throttling that goes on during peak - is anyone able to stream anything besides youtube. Say perhaps netflix? I have read that they prioritize stream data during that time but is that really true for anyone else? I dont have a netflix subscription but have tried other streaming options and no joy.

netstrider

So let's recap.

Failure at launch (rain mobile) with sim deliveries
Website issues and data usage issues
Announced no more further rain fixed subscriptions
The R50/GB is coincidentally when the network grounds to a halt
Also affecting RAIN fixed users
Failure to communicate said throttling policy effectively to its users and its service provider partners

Hmm, yeah, no thanks.

nmccullo

So let's recap.

Failure at launch (rain mobile) with sim deliveries
Website issues and data usage issues
Announced no more further rain fixed subscriptions
The R50/GB is coincidentally when the network grounds to a halt
Also affecting RAIN fixed users
Failure to communicate said throttling policy effectively to its users and its service provider partners

Hmm, yeah, no thanks.
For me that just shows how dodgy this whole thing is. WebAfrica's technical support wasn't even aware of the fixed LTE throttling. Poor guy spent a couple of days escalating the issue, until he was finally informed about the new policy. I can understand throttling an uncapped user who has used 1/2/3 terabytes in a short amount of time, but throttling a capped account is just crazy.

If you're network is under strain, why not be smart about it? Isn't there a "smart" throttling system? Only throttle users when their local station/network is under strain and make it a bit more dynamic.

netstrider

Prepaid over here at the most hated network in SA. Have never been below 32Mbps. In this instance below I am also streaming Youtube. Simple MiFi device also, nothing fancy.

1535666329486.png

nmccullo

Prepaid over here at the most hated network in SA. Have never been below 32Mbps. In this instance below I am also streaming Youtube. Simple MiFi device also, nothing fancy.

View attachment 551467
I also get those speeds (and higher.) Problem is Steam and Torrents between 18:00 and 23:00.

Yesterday at about 17:55 I was downloading at 9MBs (72Mbs) on steam. 18:00 it drops to 400KBs (3.2Mbs). So if you use RAIN for mainly non-streaming (Torrents, Steam downloads, internet downloads), then you are stuffed between 18:00 and 23:00.

I know for a lot of people this sounds like "First World Problems", but if you pay R1600 per month for "LTE", then there is some minimum expectation that comes with it. Being throttled down to 90% of normal speeds is definitely not one of them.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
I'd actually be content with 400KB/s. Mine throttles down to 100KB/s after 6pm.

Might as well have stuck to ADSL.