Rain throttling work VPN??

Ramiro1993

Hi guys I am being throttled severerly on the premium 5G package. Only being able to download files at 150kb/s on my work laptop connected to my work's VPN. What's going on? Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Hi guys I am being throttled severerly on the premium 5G package. Only being able to download files at 150kb/s on my work laptop connected to my work's VPN. What's going on? Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
Hi @Ramiro1993

Please provide me with your email via PM.

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
On the premium package?
for me my VPN when being used on the premium package its not throttled, get around 100mbps on it when i did a test.
Probably find your VPN protocol is kak or something im using OpenVPN or wireguard.

I have noted before with a Unifi setup the l2tp being slow but 20mbps slow maybe

Ramiro1993

for me my VPN when being used on the premium package its not throttled, get around 100mbps on it when i did a test.
Probably find your VPN protocol is kak or something im using OpenVPN or wireguard.

I have noted before with a Unifi setup the l2tp being slow but 20mbps slow maybe
I can understand VPN's being slower but normally my work VPN runs around atleast 20mbps but now only running at 150kb/s downloading a 40mb file took 5mins wich is not quite enjoyable when trying to work.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
I have the same issue with Vodacom :/

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
I can understand VPN's being slower but normally my work VPN runs around atleast 20mbps but now only running at 150kb/s downloading a 40mb file took 5mins wich is not quite enjoyable when trying to work.

Your easy free solution to test if your rain is being slowed

Is to go to

Install the cloudflare warp beta for windows or Mac

Then spin it up and test the speed

They cap it at 30mbps I think on the free tier

MikeTosen

Not on Premium...
View attachment 1149448

That is not correct.

I was on the 5G premium package and I have experienced it firsthand - they throttle some VPN's
Why only some - I have no idea, from what I could tell - all were using UPD and all same port - so how they decide is a mystery.
I was not being throttled via nordvpn, but both me and my wife - different companies, different VPN providers was severely throttled via our work VPN's.
I communicated to a rain tech about the throttling, and he confirmed that even on premium VPN's are being throttled, and he was unable to assist me with opening up my work vpn :mad:

I am still connecting to the same VPN for work - and since moving to fiber - zero throttling.
Same with my wife - work VPN now full speed.

I even have my doubts about the 4K thing but cant prove it other than saying with a speedtest on rain with over 300mbps - most days I could not even play youtube at 1080, now with 200mbps I can all of a sudden do 4k youtube - no buffering.

I am sure all sorts of funnies is happening :sneaky: