Rain Tower Location: PM me your Cell ID's

Jimmy

"status": "ok",
"balance": 99,
"lat": -26.178362,
"lon": 27.944035,
"accuracy": 1023,
"address": "4th Street, Johannesburg Ward 86, Roodepoort, City of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality, Gauteng, 1715, South Africa"
}
Wait... Is that my tower location? Its different from the rain coverage map.

Stillie

Expert Member
im building a simple android app that we will be able to do this ourselves. I've got the basic network calls done just making the changes to allow user input such as Cell ID, Your own token as well as being able to change the MNC

EDIT: I noticed the one i suggested earlier is checking the cell location of your android device and not the Rain Sim on your router

Stillie

Expert Member
Please can i have a few people with Android Devices to PM me with their email so i can add them to the testers if they want to test the app?

DISCLAIMER: Crap looking app, I'm looking at testing the functionality in the mean time so do not judge by the look of the app

Stillie

Expert Member
If there is a demand i will create an iOS version, in the mean time its currently Android only

Jimmy

its what it linked me to bud :)
You made me excited for a bit because the location it linked me to has a tower that I have a direct line of sight to. I tried placing my router there and unfortunately, there was no signal.

mrlgm007

Expert Member
Please can i have a few people with Android Devices to PM me with their email so i can add them to the testers if they want to test the app?

DISCLAIMER: Crap looking app, I'm looking at testing the functionality in the mean time so do not judge by the look of the app
sent email address via PM

Stillie

Expert Member
sent email address via PM
Thanks,

I am just waiting for Google to approve the app, this could take up to 10 days. I will add you guys to the testers that have PM'd me to the testers group once its been approved. The above screen shot is the data returned from the app i have built

Stillie

Expert Member
Thanks - just want to confirm , this is the location of the RAIN 5G tower ? What does the accuracy of 1275m mean ?
from the documentation on the site regarding the accuracy:
The accuracy of the position is returned in meters

which i think means the it can be anywhere in a 1km radius of the coordinates

Stillie

Expert Member
Who would want the raw apk from dropbox or would rather wait for google to release the app?

DaDon

Who would want the raw apk from dropbox or would rather wait for google to release the app?
Hi there,
would like to wait for your app on GPS, but if you could send the raw apk, that could also help ;)

Cheers
D

Stillie

Expert Member
Just an FYI the app is on the play store, if you are interested, please pm me your email address and i will add you to the testers. The app cannot be found on the store unless you are part of the testers group as the app is in Alpha and needs a bit of work before i release it to the public

In the next coming days i will be adding the feature to be able to detect the tower location your mobile device is connected to and fixing some bugs i found as well as adding a map to the application to indicate where your tower is. Currently it just has a Google link which takes you to google maps to display the estimated location

Impala

Just an FYI the app is on the play store, if you are interested, please pm me your email address and i will add you to the testers. The app cannot be found on the store unless you are part of the testers group as the app is in Alpha and needs a bit of work before i release it to the public

In the next coming days i will be adding the feature to be able to detect the tower location your mobile device is connected to and fixing some bugs i found as well as adding a map to the application to indicate where your tower is. Currently it just has a Google link which takes you to google maps to display the estimated location
Maybe a stupid question, but will it only give the tower location for the phone mobile connection or will it work with the wifi connection as well ?

Stillie

Expert Member
you enter in the Cell ID supplied by any device that will connect to an LTE tower. This will give you an approximation location of the tower.

When you say Wifi are you talking about something like your wireless ap that you are connected to?

Impala

you enter in the Cell ID supplied by any device that will connect to an LTE tower. This will give you an approximation location of the tower.

When you say Wifi are you talking about something like your wireless ap that you are connected to?
Yes, but with a different provider on the wifi device