• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Two-Day Giveaway - Win a Google Chromecast, Branded Gear, and a Mystery Gadget. Enter Here.
  • Giveaway - Win a DiskStation DS918+ and Active Backup Suite from Synology. Enter Here.

Rain will be shaping LTE between 18:00 and 23:00

Hi.

Hope you don't mind but I copied a screenshot from your link above (it took SOOO long to load) (must be on the Rain network).

So. I take it then that Afrihost and / or Rain are going to be refunding us lot for service PAID FOR but NOT provided???

Capture.JPG

Regards,

Dale.

Waylander

Expert Member
Yeah I think Rain's fixed service is the cause here... if their mobile (R50/GB) users are saturating their towers then... eish :erm:

Waylander

Expert Member
Hi.

Hope you don't mind but I copied a screenshot from your link above (it took SOOO long to load) (must be on the Rain network).
No, it's hosted on Imgur. One of the largest image hosts in the world.
So. I take it then that Afrihost and / or Rain are going to be refunding us lot for service PAID FOR but NOT provided???
What service isn't being provided...?

ngwe23

Executive Member
More whinging and whining from people that should know better. No ISP has infinite bandwidth so in that sense shaping and throttling is inevitable. If Rain doesn't shape traffic all the bandwitdg will be hogged by torrents and newserver meaning that Youtube and Netflix will buffer, in which case there wil be more whining.

cavedog

Honorary Master
More whinging and whining from people that should know better. No ISP has infinite bandwidth so in that sense shaping and throttling is inevitable. If Rain doesn't shape traffic all the bandwitdg will be hogged by torrents and newserver meaning that Youtube and Netflix will buffer, in which case there wil be more whining.
I have to agree. When you take a single tower for example the max rate that tower can push is probably like 180Mbps to 220Mbps per band depending on spectrum.

So we know Rain has b3 and b38/41 so that is 2 bands per tower with minimum spectrum. 10MHz x 2 in B3 and 20MHz x 1 in band 38/41.

For comparison to Telkom which has 10MHz x 2 in B3 and 20MHz x 2 in B40 and that excludes the 3G and 2G spectrum they own.

Rain does not own any of the lower 2G frequency spectrum not do they own and spectrum in 2100MHz which is mostly used for 3G but can also be refarmed or used for LTE.

The mere fact that Rain has uncapped at such affordable rate is pretty impressive.

epah

Hi.

View attachment 534137

Regards,

Dale.
Hahahaha there will be no refund for your my friend. Speak with your WALLET, when will people ever learn.

Move to Cell c and be a happy camper

epah

Right now I am paying R350pm for a free LTE router and 50gb of data. It’s R530 for 100gb.

Also it’s a month to month so no contract

The mere fact that Rain has uncapped at such affordable rate is pretty impressive.
This thread is about the capped fixed LTE....

Now I don't care if they shape downloads and torrents for a couple of hours a night BUT they should not have denied it and should have informed before it was implemented, not done on the sneaky sneaky.

I may not be remembering correctly but I think the fixed service was actually advertised as unshaped as well...

Quicks

cavedog

Honorary Master
This thread is about the capped fixed LTE....

Now I don't care if they shape downloads and torrents for a couple of hours a night BUT they should not have denied it and should have informed before it was implemented, not done on the sneaky sneaky.

I may not be remembering correctly but I think the fixed service was actually advertised as unshaped as well...
I did not read fixed anywhere in the op so assumed it was mobile. I agree with you. Rain really did the fixed LTE customers here. They offer Rain mobile with uncapped for 19 hours a day for R250 but charge fixed lte customers so much more and now shape them too.

Not cool at all actually.

cavedog

Honorary Master
https://www.axxess.co.za/mobile/cellc

I am actually thinking Telkom prepaid 60+60 GB for R549, this rain is a pain now. This will be my last month with rain.

https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/shop/plan/smartbroadband-wireless-prepaid/#
For me the whole Rain thing is not much of an issue as I have Telkom uncapped LTE @ R525 per month with a B618 that actually do carrier aggregation and give me like ~100Mbps anyways. Also these old uncapped simcard has a fair use of 300GB which is very generous considering I'm paying R525 per month.

Telkom can also be a hit and a miss but at least for the capped products it's not shaped at all.

I just keeping a Rain Mobile sim @ R250 p/m for a backup when telkom lets me down because it's Telkom and they usually do.

Telkom uncapped LTE right now during peak time with B618 no antenna.
Ping: 14ms
Download: 89.9Mbps
Upload: 7.33Mbps

You can always try out the prepaid LTE/LTE-A bundles as they cost exactly the same as contract. I would recommend investing in a B618 from Telkom as they work pretty damn good on their LTE-A network.

Last edited: