RAIN'S Huawei 5G Outdoor CPE N5368X

Dbandit_19_81

So i got a few questions......hopefully someone here can help me :

DOES RAIN throttle their users - i got about 150mbps when i first got my unit a month ago. Now i am lucky if i get 5MBPS. Upload is arround 20mbps. my allignment to closest tower is good. Not sure what the issue is - but i have used 1000GB + since lockdown started.

I got my RAIN outdoor unit, going into my 2nd router (TP LINK Archer VR400) and a TP LINK switch out of the VR400. On the switch I got wired units such as XBOX (x2 units) IP Cams etc. In this setup I get a message on my XBOX i got double NAT. How do i fix this?

On my XBOX it tells me NAT is strict. how do i clear this?
Last question, how to i use port fowarding on this? struggling a bit..........

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep

DOES RAIN throttle their users - i got about 150mbps when i first got my unit a month ago. Now i am lucky if i get 5MBPS. Upload is arround 20mbps. my allignment to closest tower is good. Not sure what the issue is - but i have used 1000GB + since lockdown started.

I got my RAIN outdoor unit, going into my 2nd router (TP LINK Archer VR400) and a TP LINK switch out of the VR400. On the switch I got wired units such as XBOX (x2 units) IP Cams etc. In this setup I get a message on my XBOX i got double NAT. How do i fix this?

Hi Dbandit_19_81,

Please drop us DM with the email address linked to your rain account so we can further investigate your query?

ghostim

Expert Member

Can't do port forwarding because of the double NAT on RAIN's side. Only work around is a VPN.

name_less

Hi Dbandit_19_81,

Try enable 'IP Passthrough' on the CPE, by going into the following menu 'Internet -> Network' and enable 'IP Passthrough' and click apply, the CPE will reboot. In your router (TP-Link) for' WAN connection type' select 'IP dynamic', apply and reboot router.

The TP-Link router should then obtain the Public IP address of the CPE. If the CPE obtains a new public IP address, each time, you should restart the router to get the new Public IP address. Even though it has a lease timer to obtain the most current Public IP address from the CPE, it sometimes gets a new Public IP address before the lease timer runs out. - I don't know how to reduce the lease timer from the CPE (if you figure it out let me know). You would know the router doesn't have the latest Public IP address when the internet doesn't respond and can't access the CPE from the webpage.

In enabling 'IP Passthrough'. The CPE disables all firewall, NAT, WiFi and private networking configuration, and hands over the Public IP address to your router and let's the router do all the NAT, firewall, WiFi and private networking configuration handling.

Hope it solves your issue.

Last edited:

reaper_zar

I've been having the same issue since the lockdown started. Went almost 2 weeks with no connection (use to get up to 250MB on speedtest. Now I get 25MB download if I'm very lucky.

SAV

@rain_mobile Sorry for the thread hijack, but speaking of this router - it says "free to use router" on your website, I'm assuming this means that it remains the property of Rain and will be sent back if you cancel.

Since this is an outdoor router, how susceptible are they to lightning strikes? I'm a bit wary of mounting it on a pole, it getting struck and then it's my problem. I'd have to chat with my insurance and see if it would be covered under household contents, I know they don't cover CCTV cameras, that falls under building insurance.

loxionworld

I have the R699 package & i have been having endless headache on this. The connection seems to be very unstable. I ended up taking out the sim card & inserted it into my Lte modem because I got tired of the issue with the 5G outdoor router. The Lte router worked perfectly but then I think Rain block the Internet connection on the Lte router with the 5G sim card & had to insert it back into the 5G router. I am so frustrated.
P. S. I inserted my 5G sim into my friend's 5G CPE Pro router & the connection was super stable. In conclusion, the 5G Outdoor N5368X router is the issue & so i need Rain to change my router to the Pro version attached at the soonest because I am losing out on my work. IMG-20200428-WA0004.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20200427-WA0040.jpg
    IMG-20200427-WA0040.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 28

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
@rain_mobile Sorry for the thread hijack, but speaking of this router - it says "free to use router" on your website, I'm assuming this means that it remains the property of Rain and will be sent back if you cancel.

Since this is an outdoor router, how susceptible are they to lightning strikes? I'm a bit wary of mounting it on a pole, it getting struck and then it's my problem. I'd have to chat with my insurance and see if it would be covered under household contents, I know they don't cover CCTV cameras, that falls under building insurance.

Hi SAV,

You are correct - the router is for you to use as long as you are on the service and will be collected upon cancellation.

We have had minimal instances where the router has been struck by lighting however we always recommend having a chat with your household insurer to add the router to your policy, in case anything does happen.

Reactions: SAV

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
I have the R699 package & i have been having endless headache on this. The connection seems to be very unstable. I ended up taking out the sim card & inserted it into my Lte modem because I got tired of the issue with the 5G outdoor router. The Lte router worked perfectly but then I think Rain block the Internet connection on the Lte router with the 5G sim card & had to insert it back into the 5G router. I am so frustrated.
P. S. I inserted my 5G sim into my friend's 5G CPE Pro router & the connection was super stable. In conclusion, the 5G Outdoor N5368X router is the issue & so i need Rain to change my router to the Pro version attached at the soonest because I am losing out on my work. View attachment 831134
Hi loxionworld,

Thanks for reaching out and for sharing your details - we will be on touch with the next steps for you

SAV

Hi SAV,

You are correct - the router is for you to use as long as you are on the service and will be collected upon cancellation.

We have had minimal instances where the router has been struck by lighting however we always recommend having a chat with your household insurer to add the router to your policy, in case anything does happen.
Thanks, what is the replacement value?

cavedog

Honorary Master
P. S. I inserted my 5G sim into my friend's 5G CPE Pro router & the connection was super stable. In conclusion, the 5G Outdoor N5368X router is the issue & so i need Rain to change my router to the Pro version attached at the soonest because I am losing out on my work. View attachment 831134

I actually found the 5G Pro to be worse for me. Begged like a street beggar to get the outdoor unit but they didn't want so cancelled.

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
I actually found the 5G Pro to be worse for me. Begged like a street beggar to get the outdoor unit but they didn't want so cancelled.
Hi cavedog,

We are still working on your query as we had discussed and will have feedback for you as soon as we are able.

SAV

Household content will be cheaper but other insurers like Pinapple and Granadilla also insures it for about ~R40-R45 per month.
Thanks, I was thinking of giving Pineapple a try. I'd prefer not to use my house contents since we've recently had a massive lightning strike. It funny enough didn't hit the pole and antenna on my roof, but you never know.

Jimmy

And also, why do I have to insure something that doesn't belong to me.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Weren't you pushing like 300-500mbps?

Yes I cancelled because I had fibre already the downtime from the extensive loadshedding was not worth having it. IF it was main connection which I wanted to make it Afrihost did not like that so offered me something I can't refuse so just stuck with that full time now