RAIN'S Huawei 5G Outdoor CPE N5368X

Jimmy

Yes I cancelled because I had fibre already the downtime from the extensive loadshedding was not worth having it. IF it was main connection which I wanted to make it Afrihost did not like that so offered me something I can't refuse so just stuck with that full time now
Ah nice bro.

SAV

Thanks, I was thinking of giving Pineapple a try. I'd prefer not to use my house contents since we've recently had a massive lightning strike. It funny enough didn't hit the pole and antenna on my roof, but you never know.
Got a quote from Pineapple - R24 and some cents.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Got a quote from Pineapple - R24 and some cents.

Nice. Make sure to snap more pics of the box of the power brick ect just to cover yourself. You never know when Eskom will hit again and might need to claim for a new power brick or whatever.

Reactions: SAV

SAV

Nice. Make sure to snap more pics of the box of the power brick ect just to cover yourself. You never know when Eskom will hit again and might need to claim for a new power brick or whatever.
Good point, thanks. It’s plugged into a UPS, but you never know.

goat2285

Hi Dbandit_19_81,

Try enable 'IP Passthrough' on the CPE, by going into the following menu 'Internet -> Network' and enable 'IP Passthrough' and click apply, the CPE will reboot. In your router (TP-Link) for' WAN connection type' select 'IP dynamic', apply and reboot router.

The TP-Link router should then obtain the Public IP address of the CPE. If the CPE obtains a new public IP address, each time, you should restart the router to get the new Public IP address. Even though it has a lease timer to obtain the most current Public IP address from the CPE, it sometimes gets a new Public IP address before the lease timer runs out. - I don't know how to reduce the lease timer from the CPE (if you figure it out let me know). You would know the router doesn't have the latest Public IP address when the internet doesn't respond and can't access the CPE from the webpage.

In enabling 'IP Passthrough'. The CPE disables all firewall, NAT, WiFi and private networking configuration, and hands over the Public IP address to your router and let's the router do all the NAT, firewall, WiFi and private networking configuration handling.

Hope it solves your issue.

Hi name_less,

Trying to decipher what you said here - do you mean if I can do the following?

WillThisWork.PNG

Reason - this CPE router is strict on NAT and therefor almost every game struggles to communicate. Will this resolve my NAT issue?

I am not phased with port forwarding but will that be able to work as well on the B- router?

Thanks

name_less

Hey goat2285,

Yes, this router is strict on NAT. You can only resolve it with a VPN. If you do find another solution please share.

goat2285

Hey goat2285,

Yes, this router is strict on NAT. You can only resolve it with a VPN. If you do find another solution please share.

Hey,
So what I am busy with;

I am fortunate enough to have another tiny PC ( 8GB ram,4 CPU), that i am now installing a windows Server 2019 version on, as a Oracle virtual machine.

My idea is to have that Server2019 virtualbox as the DHCP - and have my main pc connect to it as the default gateway and on the CPE router - just do the IP Passthrough.

I dont have my B315 router with me - so I cant test the above diagram today.

I can provide feedback later if you are interested....

Gothan

Expert Member
Ok, stupid question from my side (but it seems getting my hands on a manual for this device is close to impossible). My wife in her infinite wisdom decided that the manual for the CPE X was just in the way and she chucked it. So my stupid question....

What are the different colours of LED that you get for the 5G light and what do they mean? I assumed the blue was the awesome one, but now someone is telling me that it should be green as blue only indicates moderate strength

Am I mistaken or not?

Solitude

Executive Member
What are the different colours of LED that you get for the 5G light and what do they mean? I assumed the blue was the awesome one, but now someone is telling me that it should be green as blue only indicates moderate strength

Apparently green is the good one. But I also thought that blue was the better one since it seemed faster on there. Will have to go look what colour it is currently.

Gothan

Expert Member
Apparently green is the good one. But I also thought that blue was the better one since it seemed faster on there. Will have to go look what colour it is currently.

Thanks. I thought so as well. Mine seems to be dead slow ......well basically always, but more so on green

powermzii

Expert Member
Thanks. I thought so as well. Mine seems to be dead slow ......well basically always, but more so on green

Edit - saw that this one does't have the LED light legend - will take a pic of mine and post it up here

Attachments

• 5G_Outdoor_CPE_Online_Help.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:

MirageZA

Hi Dbandit_19_81,

Try enable 'IP Passthrough' on the CPE, by going into the following menu 'Internet -> Network' and enable 'IP Passthrough' and click apply, the CPE will reboot. In your router (TP-Link) for' WAN connection type' select 'IP dynamic', apply and reboot router.

The TP-Link router should then obtain the Public IP address of the CPE. If the CPE obtains a new public IP address, each time, you should restart the router to get the new Public IP address. Even though it has a lease timer to obtain the most current Public IP address from the CPE, it sometimes gets a new Public IP address before the lease timer runs out. - I don't know how to reduce the lease timer from the CPE (if you figure it out let me know). You would know the router doesn't have the latest Public IP address when the internet doesn't respond and can't access the CPE from the webpage.

In enabling 'IP Passthrough'. The CPE disables all firewall, NAT, WiFi and private networking configuration, and hands over the Public IP address to your router and let's the router do all the NAT, firewall, WiFi and private networking configuration handling.

Hope it solves your issue.
I have IP Passthrough enabled but my router behind CPE receives Private 10.X.X.X address - so NAT must be running on CPE. When lease drops on CPE it takes minutes to reconnect, sometimes up to 10 min, very annoying. What are my options? If I disable IP Passthrough and continue to use my own router (double NAT), would that improve situation?

Thanks,
Alex

Scorpion101

what should i do when my outdoor router gets stolen
Do you have insurance ? This is a very valid question you have and maybe rain should look into offering there clients insurance for a small additional fee if it is not already covered.

SAV

On a more serious note, I've been wondering about these people on FB marketplace selling Rain outdoor routers.

cavedog

Honorary Master
On a more serious note, I've been wondering about these people on FB marketplace selling Rain outdoor routers.

They are pretty much useless. Rain outdoor CPE is network locked. I tried different networks but they don't work not even on 4G. Secondly if Rain does not get the router back it will likely be blacklisted so won't even work with a Rain simcard.

If you cancel there is zero use for the unit so just return it no point in having a bad record with Rain because of a unit not returned that is useless anyways.

Assasin_Zer0

They are pretty much useless. Rain outdoor CPE is network locked. I tried different networks but they don't work not even on 4G. Secondly if Rain does not get the router back it will likely be blacklisted so won't even work with a Rain simcard.

If you cancel there is zero use for the unit so just return it no point in having a bad record with Rain because of a unit not returned that is useless anyways.

I wonder what happens to ours ? Because we actually Paid for it ?