Rain's new 5G deals are much cheaper than Vodacom and MTN

SuperMario

It's amazing to see how much hate Rain gets. I am a 5G Premium user myself, and I never experience any of the issues being mentioned here in the comments:

VPN throttling - There is no VPN throttling on their Premium package.
Lack of coverage - Rain probably has the most 5G coverage in SA.
Support Issues - Rain has pretty decent support in my experience.

Compared to Supersonic which I had before, Rain 5G is miles ahead in terms of network performance. Supersonic doesn't even know how to route traffic properly, and their support is non-existent.

In fact, I get better international bandwidth on Rain 5G, compared to what I previously had on fibre. Yes the upload could be better, but that's because I am using an indoor router, and not the outdoor one.
12043093885.png

12043071551.png

Last edited:

Kaysway

The point of this article going over everyone’s head here and that’s why Vodacom and man keep getting away with murder. Rain is the only one trying to bring affordable fast internet to everyone, the other players are just not interested so of course this burden is going to affect their network and they have to implement some sort of shaping here and there. The real villains here are Vodacom and MTN.

Spice

New Rain 5G deals crush Vodacom and MTN's offers

Rain's uncapped 5G data packages offer significant savings over similar packages from MTN and Vodacom.

Rain recently released an affordable, uncapped 5G data plan that offers speeds of up to 25Mbps for home use at R499 per month.
New Rain 5G deals crush Vodacom and MTN's offers

Rain's uncapped 5G data packages offer significant savings over similar packages from MTN and Vodacom.

Rain recently released an affordable, uncapped 5G data plan that offers speeds of up to 25Mbps for home use at R499 per month.

Im definately sure one gets what they pay for in this instance. I tried Rain last week while Vumatel was taking their sweet time to process my cancelation with WebAfrica.

It started great, signed up Tuesday and by Friday my equipment were delivered for the Home Premium package. Set it up and the first test with Google WiFi was 140/36 Mbps which was great....until it wasn't! First the connection itself is not stable, cuts intermittently. Then the speed dropped drastically to being unusable. Within 48 hours what started out well because horrendous, my family even commented that rather than rain they are better off without internet!

On the bright side their customer service is great, from the onboarding to cancellation. Quick and efficient all the way, cancelled 2 days ago and waiting for the router to be collected. I'm really rooting for rain and any other competitor, Vumatel's customer service is degrading badly as is of the ISPs hence I canned WebAfrica for non existent customer service!

Apogee

It's amazing to see how much hate Rain gets. I am a 5G Premium user myself, and I never experience any of the issues being mentioned here in the comments:

VPN throttling - There is no VPN throttling on their Premium package.
Lack of coverage - Rain probably has the most 5G coverage in SA.
Support Issues - Rain has pretty decent support in my experience.

Compared to Supersonic which I had before, Rain 5G is miles ahead in terms of network performance. Supersonic doesn't even know how to route traffic properly, and their support is non-existent.

In fact, I get better international bandwidth on Rain 5G, compared to what I previously had on fibre. Yes the upload could be better, but that's because I am using an indoor router, and not the outdoor one.
12043093885.png

12043071551.png
Did Rain at least ask for permission before erecting a tower in your house? ;)

Last edited:

m4tic

I'm in a rural area and no possibility of fibre. Rain 4g has been great, I got three huawei routers i use as wifi extenders to cover every corner of the house from one sim. My mother and my kid are on youtube the whole time, the wife is a heavy netflix user while I always have files syncing up on my computer. All this I can get 720p quality with everyone online.

dell25

rain-5g-premium-edge-speed.png

I will be honest normally I get round about 15 to 30 Mbps on the "Unlimited home 5G premium" package for R999 per month using their CPE Huawei 5G Router.

But recently 3 fibre providers have moved into my area so as soon as I get my ass into gear I will drop my rain service, because the above results happens to much for my liking.

Sakhi90

Has anyone tried Supersonic air fibre? I see it has no throttling or limitations. Is it reliable?