Ramaphosa announces new lockdown restrictions for South Africa

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
President Ramaphosa announces new lockdown restrictions for South Africa

President Cyril Ramaphosa has announced the classification of new COVID-19 hotspots in South Africa, as well as new nationwide lockdown restrictions to curb the spread of COVID-19 cases in South Africa.

In an address to the nation on Monday 14 December, Ramaphosa said that the Sarah Baartman district in the Eastern Cape and the Garden Route district in the Western Cape are now COVID-19 hotspots.

These hotspots are classified by analysing the number of new COVID-19 cases that occur per day, the testing rate within the population, the positivity rate within the population, and the number of cases and deaths.

Thor

Honorary Master
Article doesn't specify the regulations for the Western Cape

Azg

Expert Member
I am still to be convinced on the reason for banning people from the beaches between sunrise (currently 5:30am) and 9:00. Previously discussed at length on MyBB in the countdown from levels 5 to 1.

Chris_SA

Expert Member
Holiday booked in a remote town in garden route... Ok let me lose that money and go join the millions on Margate.

Such BS.

neoprema

Executive Member
When they say "beaches" is this ALL beaches or only public beaches? I mean if you have a little resort on the end of 20km of sand road and it has a beach that its built on for its guests to use, is it closed too?

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
The community groups in PE and Kouga are blowing up about the new restrictions.

uchoose

What's the point of going to an eastern cape holiday town now. No beaches and pub closes at 10pm. Oh well deposits lost.