Ramaphosa extends adjusted level 3 COVID-19 lockdown in South Africa

Neuk_

Executive Member
Don't forget to include the deaths, so it would actually be 240k active.

And then try and work out of those 240k 'active' cases how many have COVID-19 and how many were simply infected by the SARX-CoV2 virus ;) You could take it further of course and look at hospital admissions, breakdown of those with comorbidities, breakdown per age group, etc. This is of course too much work so we simply look at active cases because it is scarier for the general public.

JohnMao

Executive Member
100% in terms of the crowding over the holiday period, but that holiday period is over now.

The beaches never heave to that level after the 1st/2nd of January...
We have literally miles of beaches available in and around PLZ. Some, like Sardinia Bay, allow you to have your own personal space with nobody around you.
Yet they allow people to sit in a mall in a restaurant having coffee with no masks and in close proximity to others. But a beach is a super-spreader...hottest time of the year and we cannot go.

Lupus

Honorary Master
And then try and work out of those 240k 'active' cases how many have COVID-19 and how many were simply infected by the SARX-CoV2 virus ;) You could take it further of course and look at hospital admissions, breakdown of those with comorbidities, breakdown per age group, etc. This is of course too much work so we simply look at active cases because it is scarier for the general public.
No they don't even bother looking at the active cases, this is what is annoying, they look at the total amount. If they looked at active cases currently that would mean 0.4% of the entire SA population has this, currently.
Sure it does fill up hospitals and causes the thing to choke down, but the entire country is brought to it's knees by 0.4% of the population?

Neuk_

Executive Member
No they don't even bother looking at the active cases, this is what is annoying, they look at the total amount. If they looked at active cases currently that would mean 0.4% of the entire SA population has this, currently.
Sure it does fill up hospitals and causes the thing to choke down, but the entire country is brought to it's knees by 0.4% of the population?

I have always maintained that everyone should stick to the basic suggestions of social distancing, sanitizing and wearing masks while more appropriate measures be taken to protect the healthcare system and those that can be considered at most risk to the effects of developing COVID-19. I am of the opinion that lockdowns have limited effectiveness in terms of managing the pandemic and it's effect while they severely constrain the economy and negatively impact many people's lives and livelihoods.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I have always maintained that everyone should stick to the basic suggestions of social distancing, sanitizing and wearing masks while more appropriate measures be taken to protect the healthcare system and those that can be considered at most risk to the effects of developing COVID-19. I am of the opinion that lockdowns have limited effectiveness in terms of managing the pandemic and it's effect while they severely constrain the economy and negatively impact many people's lives and livelihoods.
Replace limited with zero and I'll be in complete agreement.

medicnick83

Paramedic
Somehow I confused you with Grant, who is definitely not a paramedic, because I seemed to remember that your name is Grant? Anyway.

My original reasoning for summoning you was for your input on how the prohibition affected the number of calls and trauma cases on yours or other paramedic's shifts. Was it as quiet as the pictures at Chris Hani suggested?

From what I am seeing, GSH and NSH are emptier with much less trauma cases.

You can say what you want, but if we took 10 people, 7 of you are lovely people when you drunk, loving, cuddly people - the other 3 catch on the biggest kak when you drunk - the alcohol ban helps but most won't agree - not till you drag your ass into a hospital fill of patients, many have COVID do you you maybe CLICK.

The Doc's and paramedics don't need to do calls that shouldn't need to be done in the 1st place.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
From what I am seeing, GSH and NSH are emptier with much less trauma cases.

You can say what you want, but if we took 10 people, 7 of you are lovely people when you drunk, loving, cuddly people - the other 3 catch on the biggest kak when you drunk - the alcohol ban helps but most won't agree - not till you drag your ass into a hospital fill of patients, many have COVID do you you maybe CLICK.

The Doc's and paramedics don't need to do calls that shouldn't need to be done in the 1st place.

I think most intelligent people are aware that it does have an impact on lessening the trauma cases that get dealt with. It would be very interesting to know how much impact the curfew has had on that as well, since than alcohol ban has always been in place in conjunction with a curfew so it does in some ways muddy the data as it were.

At this point though, the question does have to be asked as to whether the long term economic damage the alcohol ban is causing is worth it. Hundreds of thousands of jobs have been lost because of it.

medicnick83

Paramedic
I think most intelligent people are aware that it does have an impact on lessening the trauma cases that get dealt with. It would be very interesting to know how much impact the curfew has had on that as well, since than alcohol ban has always been in place in conjunction with a curfew so it does in some ways muddy the data as it were.

At this point though, the question does have to be asked as to whether the long term economic damage the alcohol ban is causing is worth it. Hundreds of thousands of jobs have been lost because of it.

Money over lives.
That's how it has always been.

ToxicBunny

Money over lives.
That's how it has always been.

I would tend towards framing it more in the fashion of "Lives Now, vs Lives in the Future"

The only problem is, the Lives in the Future is looming ever closer and ever larger.

MissMapp

We are not very good at grasping the long view, unfortunately. News of COVID is dramatic and causes huge alarm in the present. The shortened human lives that lie in the future thanks to these lockdowns will, over our lifespans, dwarf the amount of lives currently shortened by COVID, but will be much harder to hold politicians accountable for.
The wealthier a nation the healthier its citizens, for a start. So money IS life. Poverty leads to shorter lives. Sidelining every illness or disease other than COVID, preventing detection of serious conditions has already taken a toll, stress and isolation lead to mental illness which in turn impacts bodily health. The unintended consequences are complex and enormous.

LetsDance

What is mental illness? Seeing rabbits pop out of nowhere or the long term effects of stress?
Also how does it manifest to a degree that you can call someone mentally ill?

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

What is mental illness? Seeing rabbits pop out of nowhere or the long term effects of stress?
Also how does it manifest to a degree that you can call someone mentally ill?

That is a long discussion with many nuances.

Mental Illness is a many faceted thing and it can manifest itself in many varying ways.

medicnick83

Paramedic
And so many suffer from mental illness - many of them also joke about mental illness who end up suffering from it.

Like COVID-19 - it's not a joke either.
Respect mental illness.

ToxicBunny

And so many suffer from mental illness - many of them also joke about mental illness who end up suffering from it.

Respect mental illness.

There are many cultural stigmas in this country with mental illness which drives many people to hide it or to try deny they suffer from it.
We are very definitely not progressive on that front at all.

Lupus

Honorary Master
There are many cultural stigmas in this country with mental illness which drives many people to hide it or to try deny they suffer from it.
We are very definitely not progressive on that front at all.
Actually think that's the world to be honest, a lot still isn't known about mental illness, also the effects of isolation on some and how it doesn't affect others.

ToxicBunny

Actually think that's the world to be honest, a lot still isn't known about mental illness, also the effects of isolation on some and how it doesn't affect others.
Well yeah, but in some places its more acceptable to go and see a shrink and such like things...

Here there are definitely still stigmas attached to even that basic thing.

Some places might "embrace" the idea a bit too openly in a way (I'm looking at you USA) and may potentially jump to the idea of mental illness like depression/bipolar before exploring other more likely options.

Napalm

Expert Member

Respect mental illness.
Agree 100%, Specially now during times of Covid. People cramped up at home, not going out as often as they should. Not being able to visit family and friends. Not having that outlet to be social or just chat about problems like they used to before.

I've seen some threads where normal folks would use words like "claustrophobic". Feeling like they also stuck indoors.

When you have depression or bipolar or any other illness. Being locked inside your house might not be a good thing... then again getting Covid is also not a good idea.

Both are not a joke...Both to be respected for what they are and the issues they bring.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Agree 100%, Specially now during times of Covid. People cramped up at home, not going out as often as they should. Not being able to visit family and friends. Not having that outlet to be social or just chat about problems like they used to before.

I've seen some threads where normal folks would use words like "claustrophobic". Feeling like they also stuck indoors.

When you have depression or bipolar or any other illness. Being locked inside your house might not be a good thing... then again getting Covid is also not a good idea.

Both are not a joke...Both to be respected for what they are and the issues they bring.
Throw in load shedding for good measure, so now people are at home, without power.