Ramaphosa gives green light for army to go into Cape's gang-infested areas

jdido87

Very difficult to beat as the criminals look like any other other civilian.
Did you ever see a tikkop? They can be spotted from a mile away. These guys that are up to no good have tell tale signs that differentiate them from a ordinary citizen. I can tell you what they are if you interested then you put it to the test. One of the easiest signs to spot is that they always scanning the ground. Just pay attention to that when out and about you will soon notice what I am talking about.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
That's why they are now using the army, we don't need more police, we need people that can shoot to kill, so hopefully these soldiers can actually shoot
Problem with this is that the gov cut their own throats at Marikana. They actively disarmed the SAPS by standing against them in that case. Since then, anyone working for gov can't really "act" anymore, and they can just stand by and observe out of fear for losing their jobs or ending up in jail.

jdido87

Meelperd

This story reminds me of last night's movie: The Iron Lady. Their uprising is long gone. Now it's our turn, and we are blindly following in their footsteps like sheep.
Oh, how I miss the afternoon rides in the Buffel...

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
We have had the same thing recently in Windhoek, The Army joined the police to fight crime, landed up with one innocent Taxi driver being shot and multiple assualt cases being registered against the soldiers...

Soldiers are not trained to deal with civilians unless they are meant to be dropping barrel bombs on them..
Ya, the thing is is SEEMS like the correct thing to do - and we have been begging for it for years.

The problem is that is essentially putting half of Capetown under military occupation. This kind of thing often does not end well.

my questions are:

What powers will they have ?
How long will they be there ?

They will have to have a level of community support for this to work.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Those of you saying this is a bad idea take a listen to this podcast. One thing you need to remember is that these areas are already like war zones so its fitting that people trained in warfare engage in it.

http://www.capetalk.co.za/podcasts/144/the-john-maytham-show/227627/cape-flats-members-from-different-communities-talking-the-impact-of-the-violencecape-flats-members-from-different-communities-talking-the-impact-of-the-violence
Oh I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm saying it should never happen. If SAPS weren't politically castrated, we would never have this issue.

flippakitten

Expert Member
Why are you asking, looking for an excuse to bring out your arsenal?
No just trying to figure out the legality of the situation.

While I do believe something had to be done and urgently, I don't think the army was the way.
First thing they could have tried was drastically increasing the police presence from 1 cop per 100,000 residents... just saying.

Sollie

Executive Member
Oh I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm saying it should never happen. If SAPS weren't politically castrated, we would never have this issue.
^ This. Trying to fix a situation that is out of control.

My basic question when problems arise. "Do you have the situation under control?"
The inevitable answer is "Yes".
Next question - "Then how did this situation arise if it was under control?"
Mumbling and blowing bubbles follows ...

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Ya, the thing is is SEEMS like the correct thing to do - and we have been begging for it for years.

The problem is that is essentially putting half of Capetown under military occupation. This kind of thing often does not end well.

my questions are:

What powers will they have ?
How long will they be there ?

They will have to have a level of community support for this to work.
And who takes responsibility WHEN there are cases of abuse of power for instance in the use of excessive force. In this type of operation, innocent citizens end up on the receiving end of this.

beans100

Honorary Master
And who takes responsibility WHEN there are cases of abuse of power for instance in the use of excessive force. In this type of operation, innocent citizens end up on the receiving end of this.
The innocent is already on the receiving end of being murdered by the gangsters. What do you suggest? Don't think prayers and "likes" on facebook will end gang violence. It's now at a stage where, no matter what you do to help, abuse, violence and people getting hurt, is unavoidable. Getting the rot out, won't be as simple as asking them to please stop.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
The innocent is already on the receiving end of being murdered by the gangsters. What do you suggest? Don't think prayers and "likes" on facebook will end gang violence. It's now at a stage where, no matter what you do to help, abuse, violence and people getting hurt, is unavoidable. Getting the rot out, won't be as simple as asking them to please stop.
George Bush called from post 9/11. He has a great job for you.

daveza

Honorary Master
Soldiers are far better trained at shooting than SAP members.
Perhaps they have ammo available for training.

https://www.2oceansvibe.com/2018/06/06/western-cape-police-dealing-with-gun-and-ammo-mess/

Then there’s the issue of ammo shortage:

In May, it emerged that, for the 2017 to 2018 period, 4 556 of roughly 16 500 police officers in the province did not complete their firearm competency tests. A competency certificate is an annual requirement for a police officer who carries a firearm.​
Great. Wonderful. Soothing to know that the people there to protect us are unqualified to carry a gun, let alone shoot one.

Mireille Wenger, chairperson of the Community Safety Standing Committee in the Western Cape legislature, was provided with the figures in response to a parliamentary question.
“I am informed that there is only one SAPS shooting range complex in the Western Cape, which is situated in Cape Town,” she said.​
So, uh, what’s being done about this? Wenger said:

“SAPS noted that a shortage of ammunition at the range was experienced, and that this is being addressed by national head office which has allocated certain ammunition for maintenance shootings.”​

Grant

Honorary Master
Soldiers are far better trained at shooting than SAP members.
There is a big difference between a R5 and a police revolver.
Soldiers are trained in crowd control and mass searches - aka urban warfare.
Advance warning is not a good thing - we did this in the good ole days.
Most importantly is that these criminals are part of the Cape Flats society. They must start reporting their own sons for criminal activity. This is a form of criminal terrorism. Very difficult to beat as the criminals look like any other other civilian.
can you see the schitstorm when a soldier opens fire and kills someone in the street at close range using an automatic rifle ??
our soldiers are not trained for urban conflict, and never have been.

send in a saps assassination squad by all means, but not an untrained military.
perhaps its time to import some south american cops:

police sniper kills armed drug dealer:
(moneyshot at 01:35)

rietrot

Honorary Master
Another stupid Rama move, Soldiers are trained to kill, police at peacekeepers .. they are just outnumbered and badly led. If the soldiers are idle, then get id of them and train additional police that will be there for the long haul. Like most ANC "initiatives" this is a short term win for a long term loss.
Nonsense. Soldiers do a lot of peacekeeping missions.

SweetFennyAdams

Expert Member
This is good news indeed.

SANDF will probably be used to lock down target areas by setting up an impenetrable cordon. A 'Nobody Enters, Nobody Leaves' operation. They are there to stop people running away and going in. This is done by placing armed soldiers in a circle, being able to cover all the entries and exits in mass.

SAPS will send in its special units to go from house to house, searching for wanted persons or people of interest, illegal firearms, etc using their policing powers under the Criminal Procedure Act. Anyone who tries to run will be nabbed by SANDF and handed over to SAPS.

SANDF will probably not be entering homes unless requested to do so by the SAPS top brass running the ops.

Grant

Honorary Master
and more - good for manenberg:

NSFW:

Last edited by a moderator: