Ramaphosa gives green light for army to go into Cape's gang-infested areas

ForceFate

Honorary Master
No just trying to figure out the legality of the situation.

While I do believe something had to be done and urgently, I don't think the army was the way.
First thing they could have tried was drastically increasing the police presence from 1 cop per 100,000 residents... just saying.
Maybe the army is going to help set up road blocks and back police up when they conduct raids.

Milano

Honorary Master
Nonsense. Soldiers do a lot of peacekeeping missions.
Oh those SANDF peacekeepers are quality, disciplined, individuals yup?

Johannesburg – Four allegations of sexual misconduct against women and a 17-year-old boy by South African peacekeepers in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) are being investigated by the South African National Defence Forces (SANDF).

The allegations against the South African soldiers, who are part of the UN peacekeeping mission in the Congo, were received by the UN last week, UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric confirmed on Monday, adding that he welcomed SANDF’s commitment to getting to the bottom of the issue.

Three allegations of sexual exploitation allegedly took part in Sake, Beni and Goma in the DRC’s volatile North Kivu region “and involve adult victims, one of which includes a paternity and child support claim.”

Dujarric said the alleged attack on the 17-year-old boy took place in conflict-wracked Kasai and he was referred to the UN’s child organisation, UNICEF for immediate assistance.

Between 2004 and 2016, the UN received almost 2 000 allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse against its peacekeepers.

https://www.iol.co.za/news/africa/sa-peacekeepers-accused-of-sex-exploitation-abuse-in-drc-13258267

Grant

Honorary Master
Carpet bomb Pollsmoor...

/runs
i have a far better idea
gangs are separated in pollsmoor to avoid conflict

put robben island back to use.
dump them all on the island, no separation.
chum the sea surrounding the island daily

rietrot

Honorary Master
Big difference between peace keeping mission in a foreign shithole, and a crime operation on your doorstep are not equal. Not even ~ =
The gang areas are very close to those foreign shîtholes. The army guys should just shoot whoever is trying to shoot the police. Basically protection for the police. It's not too complicated, and we are paying for them so might as well use them.

Lindiswa

Expert Member
Another stupid Rama move, Soldiers are trained to kill, police at peacekeepers .. they are just outnumbered and badly led. If the soldiers are idle, then get id of them and train additional police that will be there for the long haul. Like most ANC "initiatives" this is a short term win for a long term loss.
it is a good initiative, many people called for the SANDF to police there.

SweetFennyAdams

Expert Member
Guys, if you don't live in one of these communities, please stop making ignorant comments.
The people of these communities where I grew up welcome this action as they have been terrorised and killed by these gangsters daily. This is not a Play Station game, this is REAL.

Every 2nd day there are thugs and innocents being driven down my old road in coffins to be buried from gang related crime, followed by long cavalcades of cars of berieved family and friends.

Please be respectful in your comments. Coloured communities are being held ransom by these hitmen and drug dealers. Enough is Enough!.

Desperate times require desperate measures. I never thought I'd say this, but if old apartheid SADF / SAP tactics have to be brought back to sort this mess out, so be it. Our people deserve to have a good nights sleep and to let our children play in the streets again.

Last edited:

shanezn186

Guys, if you don't live in one of these communities, please stop making ignorant comments.
The people of these communities welcome this action as they have been terrorised and killed by these gangsters daily. This is not a a PS game, this is real.

Every 2nd day there are thugs and innocents being driven down my road in coffins to be buried from gang related crime.

Please be respectful in your comments. Our communities are being held ransom by these hitmen and drug dealers. Enough is Enough. Desperate times require desperate measures.
No different from what we face everyday in metro cities.

flippakitten

Expert Member
The people of these communities where I grew up welcome this action as they have been terrorised and killed by these gangsters daily. This is not a Play Station game, this is REAL.

Every 2nd day there are thugs and innocents being driven down my road in coffins to be buried from gang related crime, followed by long cavalcades of cars of family and friends.

Please be respectful in your comments. Our communities are being held ransom by these hitmen and drug dealers. Enough is Enough!.

Desperate times require desperate measures.
Step 1 would have been to increase police to civilian ratio from 1:100 000 in that area. (Hint: the generally accepted ratio is 225:100 000)

rietrot

Honorary Master
Well the real solutions is to stop fighting the drug war and just legalise everything. But as long as we pretend it is a good idea to fight the drug war, you need a military for a war.

grok

Honorary Master

Every 2nd day there are thugs and innocents being driven down my road in coffins to be buried from gang related crime, followed by long cavalcades of cars of berieved family and friends.

Please be respectful in your comments. Our communities are being held ransom by these hitmen and drug dealers. Enough is Enough!.

Desperate times require desperate measures.
Lol, tell us then why is it that crime became so bad in your community while in others it hasn't? Maybe the problem started in the first place because people of other communities that have crime under control weren't allowed to comment on yours, cos you know you're supposed to sort it out yourself but couldn't..

jdido87

Step 1 would have been to increase police to civilian ratio from 1:100 000 in that area. (Hint: the generally accepted ratio is 225:100 000)
That will take time. People are dying today, yesterday, the day before that, etc. The situation need to be stabilized immediately. The reality is the police is outnumbered and scared, they need back-up. Add a level of incompetence and corruption then you get this result.

jdido87

Well the real solutions is to stop fighting the drug war and just legalise everything. But as long as we pretend it is a good idea to fight the drug war, you need a military for a war.
That is the root cause.