Ramaphosa gives green light for army to go into Cape's gang-infested areas

flippakitten

Expert Member
That will take time. People are dying today, yesterday, the day before that, etc. The situation need to be stabilized immediately. The reality is the police is outnumbered and scared, they need back-up. Add a level of incompetence and corruption then you get this result.
Yep, it's been left to fester too long to the point it's out of control, actually it's been out of control for a very long time now.

So this is what needed to happen.

flippakitten

Expert Member
Well the real solutions is to stop fighting the drug war and just legalise everything. But as long as we pretend it is a good idea to fight the drug war, you need a military for a war.
Yep, everywhere it's been implemented has seen a decrease in violence and usage.

As for the military... Our's isn't particularly good, considering base guards get robbed at knife point or "Lost in Lesotho".

jdido87

Had no intention to troll. I wanted to invite him to drive into Lavender Hill. I had to collect something there a month ago. I could not believe my eyes. I saw some apocalyptic shyte there. I am from Mitchells Plain but what I saw there is next level. One guys forearm just hanging loosely from the middle you can clearly see he had been shot. Took a turn and saw a guy with a deep gash on the side of his face and neck. All this while the kids roam the street.

flippakitten

Expert Member
Had no intention to troll. I wanted to invite him to drive into Lavender Hill. I had to collect something there a month ago. I could not believe my eyes. I saw some apocalyptic shyte there. I am from Mitchells Plain but what I saw there is next level. One guys forearm just hanging loosely from the middle you can clearly see he had been shot. Took a turn and saw a guy with a deep gash on the side of his face and neck. All this while the kids roam the street.
I think @thechamp meant the person that said "It's the same as the in the metro's"

thechamp

Honorary Master
Yes, I was warning both you and flippakitten

Daruk

Honorary Master
This is what most of SA have been oblivious to. That said, we have at least heard of the issues in the 'flats, yet we have many PD areas that don't even get a mention because our standards are just low for these areas and the affected people are considered not part of mainstream population - too poor to even show up on the radar. Many many informal settlements have worse issues than the flats. We haven't even begun to scratch the surface in SA.

jdido87

This is what most of SA have been oblivious to. That said, we have at least heard of the issues in the 'flats, yet we have many PD areas that don't even get a mention because our standards are just low for these areas and the affected people are considered not part of mainstream population - too poor to even show up on the radar. Many many informal settlements have worse issues than the flats. We haven't even begun to scratch the surface in SA.
Forgot to mention the police had a satellite station there surrounded by wall of sand bags and barbed wire. I cant imagine what living in a place like that does to your psyche.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Forgot to mention the police had a satellite station there surrounded by wall of sand bags and barbed wire. I cant imagine what living in a place like that does to your psyche.
The home situation for some kids in these neighbourhoods are probably beyond most people's imaginations. If they're not dealing with street violence, they're dealing with it at home. And not just violence, but perversion and abuse.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Another stupid Rama move, Soldiers are trained to kill, police at peacekeepers .. they are just outnumbered and badly led. If the soldiers are idle, then get id of them and train additional police that will be there for the long haul. Like most ANC "initiatives" this is a short term win for a long term loss.
Zille asked for this for years...

JustAsk

Expert Member
With the army comes military law.
Now i just hope some of them army supporters get caught up in a army operation only to find out about their reduced rights

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Agreed. Well except for the part about kids playing in the streets. I don't see that anywhere in SA.
PS and TV? Lol

It's still fairly common in rural parts of the country. Not so common in some areas of large towns and cities

jdido87

The Flats is the most dangerous region in all of South Africa. Don't believe me? Go try to and walk 500m in any of the areas making up The Flats.
Not all the areas in the Flats are like that. I can walk freely where I stay. The problem we have is the folks from the dangerous areas on the flats come there to rob us or local businesses on the odd occasion. Recently there was a shooting but again its people thats not from the area. They either come there to commit crime or to hide away when they catch on shyte in their own neighborhoods and then the bandits come looking for them otherwise its generally safe where I stay. Yes we have drug problems but its English druggies man, if you know what I mean. The type you dont take seriously.