Ramaphosa gives green light for army to go into Cape's gang-infested areas

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Not all the areas in the Flats are like that. I can walk freely where I stay. The problem we have is the folks from the dangerous areas on the flats come there to rob us or local businesses on the odd occasion. Recently there was a shooting but again its people thats not from the area. They either come there to commit crime or to hide away when they catch on shyte in their own neighborhoods and then the bandits come looking for them otherwise its generally safe where I stay. Yes we have drug problems but its English druggies man, if you know what I mean. The type you dont take seriously.
Out of interest, where in Mitchell's Plain do you live? My wife is from Mandalay.

JustAsk

Expert Member
That would require change of the constitution. No?
No, armies are under military law all over the world. One step away from martial law.

If some think this will not impact them, think again. Army comes in, gangs now move to diiferent areas, army follows them...military law comes to your neighbourhood.

Daruk

Honorary Master
See the bit in red. Also, police stats paint that part of the country as the worst. We may have some crime where I live, but we don't have bullets ringing out every evening.
I got that, I just didn't see the point, given that your experience is not another person's.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
I am from Strandfontein.
I thought as much :ROFL:

Strandfontein is by far the quietest part of Mitchell's Plain, The real schitholes are Lentegeur, Eastridge and that dump Tafelsig. I don't even go into those areas because you have a very, very real chance in being caught up in gang crossfire.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
No, armies are under military law all over the world. One step away from martial law.

If some think this will not impact them, think again. Army comes in, gangs now move to diiferent areas, army follows them...military law comes to your neighbourhood.
But they're under SAPS command, aren't they? They operate under ordinary civilian law.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
DA asking national government for help... we've seen the results time and again.
Pretty sure they have a little black book they keep all the opposition ideas in then when the opposition stop asking for long enough they implement it as their own idea.

jdido87

I thought as much :ROFL:

Strandfontein is by far the quietest part of Mitchell's Plain, The real schitholes are Lentegeur, Eastridge and that dump Tafelsig. I don't even go into those areas because you have a very, very real chance in being caught up in gang crossfire.
MP as a whole has gotten a whole lot better as year have gone by its just those areas you have mentioned that need to be sorted out. Unfortunately the problems are compounded by government insisting on building more low cost housing in such areas. Its already too dense and over populated with no opportunities for employment, etc. We are seeing a systematic failure in these communities. Take Bonteheuwel, that is practically Iraq, why the F.... are they planning on building more low cost housing there. Look at each an every one of these recent large scale human settlement developements, it turned to shyte. It tells you something, its needs to be broken up. It might make sense from a financial point of view but from a social dynamic it has unintended consequences which nobody talks about or do not understand.

jdido87

A question I have is, say one of this brave souls has the courage to shoot at a soldier can they lawfully return fire?

beans100

Honorary Master
i have a far better idea
gangs are separated in pollsmoor to avoid conflict

put robben island back to use.
dump them all on the island, no separation.
chum the sea surrounding the island daily
Actually, they don't separate them. Same reason, to avoid conflict. When they split them up in rooms, they make sure there is equal amount of each major gang per room.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Zille asked for this for years...
But what was her long term plan? Leave the army there forever? Get the gang leaders together and encourage them to behave more professionally?

i have a far better idea
gangs are separated in pollsmoor to avoid conflict

put robben island back to use.
dump them all on the island, no separation.
chum the sea surrounding the island daily
And that's another problem. South Africa's prisons are more like gang recruitment centres.

The people of these communities where I grew up welcome this action as they have been terrorised and killed by these gangsters daily.
It is known that they welcome it. The problem is that the way they talk they think it is a long term solution. It is never we'll bring in the army to achieve x, and that goal will be met by doing specific things within a specific time frame. And then when that goal is achieved what the next step will be. Those same community members also typically have delusional ideas about the illegal drug trade (hence nutters like PAGAD coming into existence).

Desperate times require desperate measures.
Infamous last words.

I never thought I'd say this, but if old apartheid SADF / SAP tactics have to be brought back to sort this mess out, so be it.
But they never were able to sort it out.

noxibox

Honorary Master
A question I have is, say one of this brave souls has the courage to shoot at a soldier can they lawfully return fire?
I'd assume so.

If they expect the army to stay for a while then leave I'd expect them to lie low and wait it out. If the army is going to stay indefinitely and interfere with business then I'd expect them to be willing to take the soldiers on. No reason to think they couldn't do that either.