Ramaphosa on South Africa’s most controversial issues – including the sale of cigarettes, and the death penalty

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Didn't listen but if the article is largely word for word on the cigarette ban then it won't be lifted at level 2 either.... If we're lucky level 1... But probably not even then.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Ever since this oke allowed us to buy booze, I've missed all his addresses.
For me it was a little before. I no longer tune in to his addresses, conversations or waffles. Nothing so life threatening, devastating or groundbreaking that it cannot wait for someone to post the relevant points in days to come.

3WA

Executive Member
For me it was a little before. I no longer tune in to his addresses, conversations or waffles. Nothing so life threatening, devastating or groundbreaking that it cannot wait for someone to post the relevant points in days to come.
I was just whining today that he hasn't addressed us in a while. Then I missed it - although I'm guessing it wasn't a fully televised event.

Reactions: McT

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I was just whining today that he hasn't addressed us in a while. Then I missed it - although I'm guessing it wasn't a fully televised event.
Apparently it was... But you didn't miss anything... He just waffles and said sweet fek all as usual.

• Haha

Bewlen

No words of substance were spoken, from a very non-substantial president.
Jawellnofine, just don't smoke.

• Haha

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
Mmmm

Ramaphosa noted that South Africa has previously had the death penalty in place, but added that it was not compatible with the introduction of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

“The Bill of Rights contains a very important basic right – ‘the right to life’. And it so happens that our Constitutional court had to reflect on this matter to find out what this right to life meant.”

“They confirmed that the right to life militated against a death penalty and that lead to the death penalty being abolished.”
"Police are constantly reminded of the human rights framework they work under. Nobody supports police brutality, but police will use proportional force to defend themselves and protect innocent lives. They are also allowed to use deadly force and that is what the law says, not me," Cele said.

The police and the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) have been criticised for the use of brutal force during lockdown operations.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Didn't listen but if the article is largely word for word on the cigarette ban then it won't be lifted at level 2 either.... If we're lucky level 1... But probably not even then.
Level 1.

"As I have said in my addresses to the nation, we will not be under lockdown forever. So the ban on cigarettes will be lifted. It is still in place now in terms of our regulations and I think we should accept it as such and with time, as we go to another level and another level, the ban on cigarettes will also be lifted. And as I’ve said, cigarettes are not banned forever in our country, the ban will be lifted."

Hephaestus

Forging
Does this spineless idiot have the permission to say anything?

Fuvk you Cyril. You had your chance, we all believed in you and you just turned out to be a useless, spineless jellyfish.
Just as much of a criminal as the rest of ANC

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
The king of definite maybes this chop.

He was quick to say BBBEE is forever - was prolly easier than having a date to think about.
When will tobacco sales be legal again in South Africa?

President Cyril Ramaphosa has an 82-word answer to that.

None of those words include a date, or even a vague reference to a date.

Ramaphosa on Wednesday answered questions from South Africans in a virtual Presidential Imbizo, which he opened with a statement that struck a cautiously optimistic note about economic recovery, and focussed heavily on gender-based violence.

But the very first question was: when will cigarette sales be legal again?

He also promised another such imbizo in future, saying the government is accountable, and available to answer questions – even difficult ones.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
The president said that the unbanning of alcohol has led to gender-based violence and accidents – something that the country has continued to grapple with and has seen a spike in recent weeks.

He noted that the rationale of the unbanning of alcohol was to make provision for a better economic outlook
It is just bananas - The justification for alcohol being profit, which is leading to direct and immediate harm to humans, yet somehow cigarettes are a bigger danger?

It's rhetorical, I just can't even any more...

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The death penalty and cigarette ban mentioned in the same sentence

• Haha
Reactions: "D"