Ramaphosa slammed after suggesting that prisoners should do hard labour

schumi

Honorary Master
Cape Town - President Cyril Ramaphosa's reported suggestion that prisoners should be made to do hard labour is both unconstitutional and populist, the Democratic Alliance (DA) said on Monday.

Ramaphosa is reported to have told mourners at the funeral of Precious Ramabulana that “government would work to change the justice system to ensure that people convicted of crimes against women and children remain behind bars for life and under the harshest conditions.”

He was quoted as adding: “They should not be in jail and enjoy life there, they should be subjected to hard labour – the harshest of labour," and to have called for the state having "active record" of all offenders found guilty of crimes against women and children.

Ramabulana was found in her residence near the Capricorn TVET college in Limpopo last week after being stabbed 52 times

DA justice spokeswoman Glynnis Breytenbach said the president's remarks were cause for concern and of a similar nature to those by Justice Minister Ronald Lamola last week. He suggested that Cabinet should discuss a return of the death penalty..
More at : https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/ramaphosa-slammed-after-suggesting-that-prisoners-should-do-hard-labour-38488451

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I wouldn't say hard labour, but labour which could possibly benefit these correctional institutions with an additional income. Make them work for their own well-being. A system like this also teaches the prisoners valuable skills which is an effort made in correcting themselves.

However, I do believe the DA's stance is a bit soft. If you want to call out "unconstitutional" and "populistic" then at least provide alternatives for the argument. If not hard labour under the harshest conditions, what is more, constitutional and democratic or may I say liberal?

acidrain

Expert Member
How angry must a murderer be to stab one victim 52 times?
What made him stop at no. 52?
Probably ran out places to stab.

OT, DA at it again with their pathetic crusades. I'd be all for hard labor. Just with pollsmoor alone, pretty sure you have a number of artisans behind bars that could be put to some use.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Of course not, them prisoners and their feels and bill of rights- worth more than those of the victims. But then again, the prisoners are valuable to this regime, in the form of votes.
So why would the ANC president want it?

Cray

Honorary Master
However, I do believe the DA's stance is a bit soft. If you want to call out "unconstitutional" and "populistic" then at least provide alternatives for the argument. If not hard labour under the harshest conditions, what is more, constitutional and democratic or may I say liberal?
If they don't get paid for their labour and they don't have a choice it pretty much amounts to slavery thought, doesn't it?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
If they don't get paid for their labour and they don't have a choice it pretty much amounts to slavery thought, doesn't it?
Well yes, but it can be dealt with outside of the slavery aspect.

They broke the law and are liable for X fee to the state for their duration of incarceration to cover costs. For them to pay off the fee they provide their labour at a set price per hour.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Go fsck yourself DA...

Prisoners should do hard labour, they should pay for their damn prison stay with labour.
dont prisoners in other countries make their inmates sew mailbags, and do other things that are menial and time consuming?
why cant that happen here? or does that happen already?

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
Well yes, but it can be dealt with outside of the slavery aspect.

They broke the law and are liable for X fee to the state for their duration of incarceration to cover costs. For them to pay off the fee they provide their labour at a set price per hour.
+1
Don't call it labour....let's just call it "community service"...
Build schools...roads...etc. In service of the community that you swindled when you committed your crime.