Ramaphosa: South Africa's rebuilt economy must be better and blacker

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
"black success stories" come from being politically connected.

There are lots of stories but we just don't hear about them as much.

When I was staying at Residence in University, the top-performing student in our hostel was a Xhosa guy who was doing Postgrad in economics. He came from a township with literally nothing and was beating undergrads from all races in terms of academic performance.

Herman Mashaba is another but point is that there are many.

BTTB

There's not a significant culture of hardwork and entrepreneurship among the local black population. I know of a Black guy from Ghana that arrived here 10 years ago with absolutely nothing, started off selling chickens on the roadside, then moved to grilling the chickens and selling them and finally saved up enough money to start off a hair salon business. Today he drives a Ford Ranger, employs several people and has 3 salons. What's stopping the locals from achieving this?. They would rather burn down the businesses that guys like this built, than try to compete.

No amount of legislation will change this unfortunately.
My 2 top employees came from the Congo about 14 years ago, the one guy started out as Security Guard in the Car Park, he is now Assistant Manger to myself and my son, he is clever, dedicated, understands quickly, does what you ask and the customers love him.

Something about the French Speaking Congolese guys that just grasp things quicker than the local black people. We have pondered this many times and have concluded that their language (French) is an evolved language which gives them a head start, the Education System in the Congo must be better and lastly they come here with nothing and because of that they are prepared to work hard to better themselves.

Our locals, not all, are lazy and in some cases no amount of teaching them helps. Some just don't get it, no matter how hard we try. I have around 16 people from the Eastern Cape and one Cape Coloured guy. Some of the Eastern Cape people are virtually untrainable. Why.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
There are lots of stories but we just don't hear about them as much.

When I was staying at Residence in University, the top-performing student in our hostel was a Xhosa guy who was doing Postgrad in economics. He came from a township with literally nothing and was beating undergrads in terms of academic performance.

Herman Mashaba is another but point is that there are many.
Why don't we hear about them? Surely this is something that should be highlighted?

rambo919

Honorary Master
and have concluded that their language (French) is an evolved language which gives them a head start
Close but it's actually because French is a literary language as opposed to a verbal one. It's only once you stop thinking verbally that you can start understanding abstracts.

EDIT: This is also why cultures that emphasize the reading of religious books perform better especially if they study literary complex works. The spread of the Bible probably single-handedly caused the renaissance because of this effect on the brain.

vigras rojara

Expert Member
My 2 top employees came from the Congo about 14 years ago, the one guy started out as Security Guard in the Car Park, he is now Assistant Manger to myself and my son, he is clever, dedicated, understands quickly, does what you ask and the customers love him.

Something about the French Speaking Congolese guys that just grasp things quicker than the local black people. We have pondered this many times and have concluded that their language (French) is an evolved language which gives them a head start, the Education System in the Congo must be better and lastly they come here with nothing and because of that they are prepared to work hard to better themselves.

Our locals, not all, are lazy and in some cases no amount of teaching them helps. Some just don't get it, no matter how hard we try. I have around 16 people from the Eastern Cape and one Cape Coloured guy. Some of the Eastern Cape people are virtually untrainable. Why.
Don't you think that perhaps people who have the initiative to leave their country in search of a better life might have a bit more flair to begin with?

Not convinced nationality comes into it.

R13...

Honorary Master
Because we know from experience that racial segregation is bad.
That's not what's being advocated here. Most countries are organically segregated. Economically and otherwise just as a by the way.

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
Why don't we hear about them? Surely this is something that should be highlighted?

Definitely, I think it's in part due to the media doing a poor job of it, even Herman Mashaba's story is not well told. When we think of him, we just think of a rich businessman turned politician but nobody really questions how he defied the odds Apartheid stacked against him.

But if you also make an effort to learn about these stories, you will come across them.

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
Definitely, I think it's in part due to the media doing a poor job of it, even Herman Mashaba's story is not well told. When we think of him, we just think of a rich businessman turned politician but nobody really questions how he defied the odds Apartheid stacked against him.

But if you also make an effort to learn about these stories, you will come across them.
Stop your racist drivel and go post your lefty nonsense your thieving heroes fed your gullible brain somewhere else.

Mila

Honorary Master

if you scratch to deep you find the rot?
either way, one swallow does not make a summer.