Ramaphosa's plan to save Eskom is a declaration of war - Workers

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Ramaphosa's plan to save Eskom is a declaration of war - Workers

President Cyril Ramaphosa's recent announcement that Eskom would be split into three business units has angered local trade unions, according to a report in the City Press.

The move is supported by the renewable energy sector, but trade unions see the change as the first step towards privatising the power utility - which they argue will result in many job losses.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Declaration of war? Fscktards... If they want war then they should get it.... Starting at the top of the union structures...

SilverCode

Unions wield way too much power in SA. Should have had their backs broken a long time ago.
I was thinking this the other day. While I do think unions are needed, they should not be allowed to hold this much power. The government should prevent unions from crossing strict industry boundries. For example, a union which serves mine workers can only ever have mine workers as members, and in the event of a strike, only shut down the mining industry. The fact that a single union can shut down multiple industries if ridiculous.

D.B.Cooper

Expert Member
I was thinking this the other day. While I do think unions are needed, they should not be allowed to hold this much power. The government should prevent unions from crossing strict industry boundries. For example, a union which serves mine workers can only ever have mine workers as members, and in the event of a strike, only shut down the mining industry. The fact that a single union can shut down multiple industries if ridiculous.
Exactly. Sabotaging the power grid (which is exactly what they're threatening) should be treated as terrorism and should be prosecuted accordingly. Holding the entire country, the economy to ransom is frankly beyond the pale. Unfortunately, the ANC regime is too spineless to do anything about it.

krycor

Honorary Master
Eskom and others should have a max per union and max unionized, no combo union strikes..

DXL

Expert Member
Unions are there to make a few people rich.
Subscriptions are so high now people have to pay 1.5% of their wage to the Union.
Where this money goes nobody to this day knows. they say running expenses but what that is nobody knows.

R100 PM x 3 000 000 Million Members = R300 Million Rand per month ? Sounds Tasty :)

I would love to start a UNION too.

krycor

Honorary Master
Unions are there to make a few people rich.
Subscriptions are so high now people have to pay 1.5% of their wage to the Union.
Where this money goes nobody to this day knows. they say running expenses but what that is nobody knows.

R100 PM x 3 000 000 Million Members = R300 Million Rand per month ? Sounds Tasty :)

I would love to start a UNION too.
Should start an Professional persons union.. barrier to entry is a bachelors degree.

Then I reckon we could cripple government with a single strike to get them to enforce laws on taxis, get the corrupt in jail etc.

The majority of South Africans think nothing of graduates.. well, unionize them, go after what most want and watch them quiver. 1 degreed person who is senior typically has quite a few sub ordinates that won’t be working or no new work coming in..