Ramaphosa's plan to save Eskom

The Darkness

Expert Member
I am so sick and tired of hearing the endless lies and non-delivery on promises from this lot. It's nauseating. I tried to watch the SONA and lasted 15 minutes until I actually felt repulsed. It's literally just the same waffle bullshit year after year, same promises, never ever delivered. They are completely unable to manage a country, unwilling to either. They should honestly feel ashamed of themselves. They have let 'their' people down along the way, creating more suffering than ever before. Creating a racist, divisive mess of anger and uncertainty. They have dismally unperformed in every single area they were meant to, and have held themselves completely unaccountable. The arrogance of it.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Those things aren't the saviors, they also aren't clean. I mean if they had to stop 2 units due to emissions at Kendall which produces 3600MW, we would need 36 power ships to match that.

Well it depends, if they had a few of their BIG boys just lying around (the 500MW ones), we could get away with say 10 of them... but pretty much the whole Powership fleet is spoken for by long term contracts.

Assuming they had them just lying around though, it would still take anywhere from 12 - 18 months to bring them onstream anyway because the distribution infrastructure would need to be built out to connect them to the national grid safely.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Generation by the consumer, eg small scale solar

I think in terms of what they're talking about though, its not residential scale though, more commercial scale businesses and such.

Regardless of the wonderful words though, the biggest problem in terms of making this shyte happen is Uncle Gweezy

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
talk is all good and well, but MONEY...

fixing this country's going to require a lot of MONEY...

and all that they care for is helping themselves to massive amounts of said MONEY and blaming others for when there's a shortfall.

shearder

Expert Member
LOL Ramapoepal and Eskom couldn't save anything!!!
They do not have the capacity or the intelligence to comprehend what it means to save, fix, value, improve etc anything except their off shore accounts

ilikepi

Ramaphosa's plan to save Eskom

In his State of the Nation address on 11 February 2021, President Cyril Ramaphosa outlined a number of priorities for the government's national recovery plan.

"This evening, we stand here not to make promises but to report on progress in the implementation of the recovery plan and the priority actions we must now take to restore growth and create jobs," Ramaphosa said.
It's always another plan, another commission, another war room, another investigation.

Shame story different day...lots of lip service, nothing is going to happen.

Martin 007

In future no reporting will be needed just write same promise as last year with absolutely no expectation whatsoever of any delivery. Everyone knows Eskom has tens of thousands of extra people and that not going to ever get tackle its to big.

The Light Green Hornet

You sure cant make this **** up, but someone is. His speech writers must be laughing themselves silly. I didn't watch the rubbish - was he asked to read big numbers?

NeoAcheron

Same ****, different day.

Blaaaa blaaaa blaaaa... Talk talk talk... Bullshit bullshit bullshit...

From Dec 2019:

From Jan 2020:

COJ2019

You guys can all bitch and moan. Will not make a difference in our lifetime. Unless the Chin warmer mask wearing idiots in this Country understand reality.....nothing will change.

Oldfut

Expert Member
I suspect people are thinking "If I don't have load shedding everything is ok". Bad news, "saving Eskom" doesn't mean you won't have no load shedding, it involves dealing with the issues they currently have. Those issues include the massive amount of debt. How do they save an organization with over R488 billion in debt? More power stations will add to the debt. Fixing current generation issues add to the debt. And cutting staff numbers will merely make a dent in the colossal amount of debt. Just to make things worse, end users are starting to move to solar energy, essentially meaning Eskom will start seeing a small decline in revenue.

Let me ask a logical question. Can Eskom be "saved" or is it too late? (Simple answer is, it can't be saved, complicated answer is, it will likely end up taking more time than we will be alive)

Answer; sell everything to the highest bidder; no BEE discounts and no monopolies; let the new owners bid to provide power to municipalities and industry (no pay, no power). Existing Eskom staff can apply for jobs but I suspect a couple of Zim / Nigerian / Russian, you choose, electrical etc engineers will keep any old power station running. Let anyone build new power plants and tender to provide electricity; no NERSA bribery and bs, no licence needed. Just comply with SA's existing environmental, safety etc laws, er, no BEE or AA.

clickingbuttons

Expert Member
Answer; sell everything to the highest bidder; no BEE discounts and no monopolies; let the new owners bid to provide power to municipalities and industry (no pay, no power). Existing Eskom staff can apply for jobs but I suspect a couple of Zim / Nigerian / Russian, you choose, electrical etc engineers will keep any old power station running. Let anyone build new power plants and tender to provide electricity; no NERSA bribery and bs, no licence needed. Just comply with SA's existing environmental, safety etc laws, er, no BEE or AA.

How would the ANC get their backhanders in this case?

If the above doesn't happen, nothing happens.