Rand sinks as South Africa plans record bailout for Eskom

maumau

Honorary Master

BBSA

Honorary Master
Can't we rather sell KZN, to whoever would be stupid enough to want to buy it? Just drop Zuma there before the sale, build a wall, and not only do we get moola, but we are rid of him and Badwill Leechatini (maybe send Steve out as well just before we start on the wall).
Who is going to pay for the wall?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Can't we rather sell KZN, to whoever would be stupid enough to want to buy it? Just drop Zuma there before the sale, build a wall, and not only do we get moola, but we are rid of him and Badwill Leechatini (maybe send Steve out as well just before we start on the wall).
Sell to the Kingdom of eSwatini (lol) or MOZ. The king would prefer MOZ since there's no other monarchy to compete with or submit to.

krycor

Honorary Master
Found the sell NC thing funny as that’s the perfect area for solar vs Eskom coal plants elsewhere.

I think if we stop paying traditional leaders (why are we doing this again?) it saves a lot of money

Mortymoose

Honorary Master

Would love to have NC, I have always thought about this. You would be surprised how the people of the KARAS (Southern Nam) region are assimilated with those of the NC. Nama's on both sides. There are a number of people in my town who have direct family in Upington 600km away.

The NC is in actual fact a vast treasure trove of minerals. Huge projects like Kathu, Gamsberg and Black Mountain spring to mind.

When I ride the streets of SPK and Upington, there are plenty of Namibian vehicles that are on the streets..... Borders suck!

Ironically I will be crossing over the border in the next two hours (need to braai first) to attend a meeting in Springbok!

surface

Expert Member
I think if we stop paying traditional leaders (why are we doing this again?) it saves a lot of money
Religious/Traditional influence on people is unfortunate but let us be thankful that we don't have 20+ bishops (UK) in our parliament does in their upper house of parliament.

p.s. Mboweni apparently quoted some psalm to kick off his budget speech so who knows about the future.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Last edited:

ForceFate

Honorary Master
https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/eskoms-rating-revised-credit-ratings-affirmed-19584219

Johannesburg - Eskom has been given a revised rating by Standard & Poor’s following a cash injection of R23 billion by the government.

S&P, the rating agency, on Friday revised Eskom’s rating from negative to stable as the power utility tries to get back on its feet with mounting debt and power outages.

Chief Financial Officer at Eskom Calib Cassim said they welcomed the latest rating by S&P.

“We are encouraged by the rating agency’s decision to positively revise their outlook on Eskom and affirm the credit ratings,” said Cassim.

John_Phoenix

Lets see... We know Eskom is horribly overstaffed and overpaid. Their current wage bill is something like R30bn a month. So fire 30% of the workforce (even more should be let go) and you instantly have R10bn a month available. That is R120bn a year difference. They may even be able to pay their debts now.

The payscale is not linear... They would have to fire far fewer fat f**cks feeding fervently to recoup those numbers. But instead they'll rather rambunctiously retrench the rank and file representatives.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
We'll keep our water then... And stop you coming on holiday ffs...