Rand Water’s distribution network currently under severe pressure

RaptorSA

Executive Member

JOBURG – Alternative water supply will be rolled out to areas that are affected due to these restrictions and tanker supply will be rolled out as and when required.

"Rand Water has indicated that their distribution network is currently under severe pressure whereby the water demand consistently exceeds the water supply.

According to a statement by the City of Joburg, Rand Water requested that Johannesburg Water implement water restrictions to prevent a situation where both supply systems collapse. Johannesburg Water has responded by restricting many of its reservoirs by between 20 to 45 per cent.
"

UPDATE:
Spoke to an engineering friend of mine who deals with SA's water purification systems so he's on the inside.
Apparently, the issue is dilapidated transmission infrastructure to the reservoirs. On average only about 68% of the water pumped to reservoirs is getting there.
The government isn't spending money on fixing this and whatever they do spend is completely lost due to corruption.

Last edited:

RaptorSA

Executive Member
Watershedding, that's where we're at now...
Don't think we can go on like this any longer.

Electricity is one thing, at least some of us can make a plan and you can live without it for a while.
When the water goes all gloves are off.

Time to stop barking up the ANC tree and point our scorn at our employers. I want the option for a PAYE tax revolt and I want it now.

rvZA

Executive Member
Watershedding, that's where we're at now...
Don't think we can go on like this any longer.

Electricity is one thing, at least some of us can make a plan and you can live without it for a while.
When the water goes all gloves are off.

Time to stop barking up the ANC tree and point our scorn at our employers. I want the option for a PAYE tax revolt and I want it now.

Never going to happen, unfortunately.

People need to get used to living in South Africa.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
This seems to be very different to Cape Town's water problems. Joburg's water problems seem to be entirely due to mismanagement and lack of maintenance whereas Cape Town's was due to the drought.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Yep. And this is much harder to fix. You can’t just build a power plant. Leaky pipes everywhere & replacing them is a mission

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
This seems to be very different to Cape Town's water problems. Joburg's water problems seem to be entirely due to mismanagement and lack of maintenance whereas Cape Town's was due to the drought.
That plus the Lesotho water project next phase is delayed due to the usual drama

Genisys

Honorary Master
About that, the Vaal has gone below 25% full a few times in the past few years. Its not just mismanagement.

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member
bye-bye-now-gif.1038572

Stuey74

Didn't someone once say the next major wars would be over water. Maybe just an internet quote but might just come true