Ransomware attack affecting everything from child support to deceased estates in South Africa

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
South Africa's legal system on its knees after cyberattack

A ransomware attack that paralysed the IT systems of the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development has brought the Master’s office for South Africa’s courts to its knees.

Without a functioning IT system, the Master’s office has resorted to operating manually, causing severe delays in critical services such as handling deceased estates and child maintenance payments.

system32

Expert Member

South Africa’s legal system further down on its knees after cyberattack​

FTFY
Legal system wasn't working - just ask Jakob, Guptas, etc who all got away.

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
South Africa's legal system on its knees after cyberattack

A ransomware attack that paralysed the IT systems of the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development has brought the Master’s office for South Africa’s courts to its knees.

Without a functioning IT system, the Master’s office has resorted to operating manually, causing severe delays in critical services such as handling deceased estates and child maintenance payments.

EVerytime I see this I wonder why we must keep up with this digital nonsense as a whole as it is. I bet their IT systems costs millions in the 1st place. The whole IT/Internet world needs a caretaker that actually works.

SPAM/ Nonsense etc: I receive spam through ISP, however the spam is blocked out of ISP, so why not block it inward as well-?

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Democratic Alliance MP Glynnis Breytenbach said they have also learned that the department had not paid its IT service provider for two months leading up to the attack.
“[We’re told that] as a result [of the non-payment], the firewalls of the department were vulnerable, and that is the reason for this attack,” Breytenbach told eNCA in a recent interview.
WAT
Who told you that? Why are firewalls vulnerable because of non payment?
And no, this was not likely a firewall issue - more likely someone clicked something stupid or just opened the door.

JustSomeGuy21

WAT
Who told you that? Why are firewalls vulnerable because of non payment?
And no, this was not likely a firewall issue - more likely someone clicked something stupid or just opened the door.
Does nobody know you don't invite vampires into your home?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Just to put it out there, child support payments are still being collected, but it isn't being paid. All in all, the agreements aren't being honoured. Now you have 'single' parents who can't pay the schools, etc, and these problems accumulate.

This is a real schit situation.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
Democratic Alliance MP Glynnis Breytenbach said they have also learned that the department had not paid its IT service provider for two months leading up to the attack.

Yeah nothing to see here.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Lekker man.
Kangaroo courts coming to your area soon.

1631795123589.png

All par for the course in a failed state.
I don't really see how some form of secession will not happen eventually.

As for fixing it, lol, yeah sure, name me one single thing that the ANC phucked up where they actually managed to fix or improve it at some stage. Jirre they can't even handle a glorified eye test process so you can drive "legally".

But hey, look at the bright side, we're on track to becoming one of the most libertarian countries on the planet.
At this rate, they won't be able to pass the expropriation act 'cause Simpiwe didn't order Xerox paper to print a hard copy.