Rare cars on SA road

Fazda

Honorary Master
That's a 1.6 I know its supposed to be very humdrum and not flashy bit I like it. Pity we did not get 3-door Astras in SA, except for the OPC.
If it's a 1.6 then it is one of the thousand odd cars produced here as a run out on that shape.

Sadly the two door did not sell well at all, and those cars were almost given away at the time. Always kicked myself that I didn't get one for myself.

Sapcat

Saw a lamborghini countach on Saturday. Might have been a replica though

MisterBigglesworth

Expert Member
If they were sold here then why are there so little around? Its the first time I see one.
A friend had a blue 1.6 3 door golf 4. I asked him how he got hold of one, said they used the 3 door for the rally cars here locally, so made a few 3 door versions and sold them to the public in limited quantities. So ja...they got snapped up VERY quickly.

There is that guy in Somerset West who own a huge collection in classic cars, especially muscle cars. Then it is quite normal to see a Supercar in Helderberg and another guy who lives in Gordon’s Bay owns a Maserati (don’t know which model), but is apparently the only one in SA… And yet another guy in Gordon’s Bay who owns a number in limited edition cars which he stores next to the airport.

Pics no, but when Helderberg had that huge blaze, that guy with the classic cars had to move all his cars down the mountain which he stores on his property there, had some serious security patrolling his cars later that day which was parked all over the place.
Seen the Maserati from Somerset West a few times on route to work, has CFM plates. There is another one I have seen in CT, not the same car...so I know of at least 2 Maserati's in CT.

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
Drove behind a rather pristine-looking Nissan 300ZX for a bit yesterday. Still drool-worthy if looked after properly.

Last edited:

dillinger

Friend of mine worked on this one here in Joburg, any one care to guess what Merc this is?

Untitled.jpg

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Seen the Maserati from Somerset West a few times on route to work, has CFM plates. There is another one I have seen in CT, not the same car...so I know of at least 2 Maserati's in CT.
There are a lot more than 2... I've seen a few GT's and Quattroporte's.

Here I am next to a 599 GTO :)

DSC_0248.jpg

dillinger

Spot on!

This one changed hands for 10bar, only 1858 of them ever made. Much the same car as they Gull Wing except this is the Roadster version.

This is what it looks like from below, tubular chassis.

Untitled2.jpg

300SL roadster