Rare cars on SA road

Ecco

Executive Member
Up your bank balance and you won’t need a plate. Also cars with UK plates have special permits.

Oh yeah, i forget, in SA the more money you have the more you can get away with breaking the law.

If the car was bought in SA, how does it get UK plates? I am pretty sure that Senna was bought locally.

epah

Expert Member
Oh yeah, i forget, in SA the more money you have the more you can get away with breaking the law.

If the car was bought in SA, how does it get UK plates? I am pretty sure that Senna was bought locally.

It’s bought through Daytona who then source it from the UK “as a broker”. They keep it on Uk plates so they don’t have to pay the necessary import taxes etc.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
How do the guys get away with no plates? I saw pics of that purple Senna and that one had UK plates??

I managed to end up going through a roadblock at least once a month

Missing front plates nobody seems to ever really care too much about.

But missing rear plates and it’s the end of the world.

ubercal

Expert Member
Most new Mercedes have become very ugly.

wouldnt say ugly just a metal tin with 4 wheels and a fancy interior with a whole lot of gadgets.Certainly exterior design is not high up on the list of priorities.

dillinger

Posted a picture of my Integrale before, here are some better pics.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 79
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 76

dillinger

Got any of a back story to this project? Keen to hear more. :)

Got any of a back story to this project? Keen to hear more. :)
Oh…………. It was a garden job when I bought it, it was in pieces, the front of the car stripped and parts missing. So I got a garage to put it back together and order the parts from the UK, like the silicon turbo hoses. Drive it for 3 weeks and blew a head gasket. Take head off and see the block has huge ridges in it from wear and tear. The hunt started for a block. Found a sub assembly that some Alfa guru in Pretoria had built. It’s a bit of mix and match, 8V head with 16V block, mine is a 8V, so the 16V block has oil sprayers at the bottom of the pistons, bargain. Pulled the head to see if it was 8V or 16V pistons, 8V pistons! Rebuilt the Garret T3/T4 turbo, standard for this car. Pulled the motor and gearbox with the help of a friend and fitted the new motor. Took the car to same friend and he did a respray, did a brilliant job. Had a new radiator made by hand. Recon the prop shaft, was a nightmare as the people that did the job fitted CV joint boots on the prop, prop turns faster then the CV’s to they expand and slap on the body, finally got the right rubbers. Had the mags redone. Fitted Brembo disks on the front with pads, previous owner could not find pads and bought VW Kombi 2.1i pads and cut them with a grinder to make them fit, horror I tell you. Then it did not want to start, electric problems, took me forever to figure out that it was bad connections on the map sensor. New exhaust all out of stainless. The old tires went square so new tires. Found a guy that took my torn Recaro seats and swapped them for a good set of seats, he is going to modify the seats to put in a Montecarlo so I just paid him some extra money. Getting the old seat covers back and going to use the material to fix the gray alcantara on the back seat. Imported all the correct badges for it and plastic colour screws for the lights. Had 20mm wheel spaces made up for it, originally they wheels are very in and narrow, now the wheel are much further out like the 16V. Suspension is Koni shocks and Eibach springs, there is no way that you can push any corner down by hand. It drives just like a gokart, there is no body roll going around traffic circles (heaps of fun), but you do need a kidney belt. Very drivable car as it has load of bottom end torque VS the 16V that has no torque. There was a time when I had thrown more money at this project and could have just bought a nice going 16V, but with time it has paid off and now its more worth and I have spent in total.

genetic

Honorary Master
It was a garden job. Bought it in pices

Oh…………. It was a garden job when I bought it, it was in pieces, the front of the car stripped and parts missing. So I got a garage to put it back together and order the parts from the UK, like the silicon turbo hoses. Drive it for 3 weeks and blew a head gasket. Take head off and see the block has huge ridges in it from wear and tear. The hunt started for a block. Found a sub assembly that some Alfa guru in Pretoria had built. It’s a bit of mix and match, 8V head with 16V block, mine is a 8V, so the 16V block has oil sprayers at the bottom of the pistons, bargain. Pulled the head to see if it was 8V or 16V pistons, 8V pistons! Rebuilt the Garret T3/T4 turbo, standard for this car. Pulled the motor and gearbox with the help of a friend and fitted the new motor. Took the car to same friend and he did a respray, did a brilliant job. Had a new radiator made by hand. Recon the prop shaft, was a nightmare as the people that did the job fitted CV joint boots on the prop, prop turns faster then the CV’s to they expand and slap on the body, finally got the right rubbers. Had the mags redone. Fitted Brembo disks on the front with pads, previous owner could not find pads and bought VW Kombi 2.1i pads and cut them with a grinder to make them fit, horror I tell you. Then it did not want to start, electric problems, took me forever to figure out that it was bad connections on the map sensor. New exhaust all out of stainless. The old tires went square so new tires. Found a guy that took my torn Recaro seats and swapped them for a good set of seats, he is going to modify the seats to put in a Montecarlo so I just paid him some extra money. Getting the old seat covers back and going to use the material to fix the gray alcantara on the back seat. Imported all the correct badges for it and plastic colour screws for the lights. Had 20mm wheel spaces made up for it, originally they wheels are very in and narrow, now the wheel are much further out like the 16V. Suspension is Koni shocks and Eibach springs, there is no way that you can push any corner down by hand. It drives just like a gokart, there is no body roll going around traffic circles (heaps of fun), but you do need a kidney belt. Very drivable car as it has load of bottom end torque VS the 16V that has no torque. There was a time when I had thrown more money at this project and could have just bought a nice going 16V, but with time it has paid off and now its more worth and I have spent in total.

This is a story for cars.co.za Sentimental segment I tell you!