Rare cars on SA road

TheChamp

Honorary Master
58 years on the road, they sure dont build them like they used to.
Sign of the times, technology is changing at a much rapid rate than it used to back in the days, things, not just cars become irrelevant with time, a Panasonic TV that's 50 years old is admirable but what's the point besides that?

eg2505

Honorary Master
Sign of the times, technology is changing at a much rapid rate than it used to back in the days, things, not just cars become irrelevant with time, a Panasonic TV that's 50 years old is admirable but what's the point besides that?
well for one, in 58 years, what will be left of the cars of today? will ANY of them still be on the road? like this one?

in 58 years what will there be to put in a museum and say, look that is the cars we had back then.
and thats my point, we live in a disposable and throw away society, nothing is build to last, nothing is built to keep forever,

its all disposable, use it, abuse it and throw it away and buy another.
you see it with literally everything and anything from Cars built with plastic radiators, and planned obsalesense.
through to Cellphones with Batteries glued in, and impossible to remove,

I feel sad when I look at cars like this, true I was only born at the tail end of it,
but even I appreciate something reliable and long lasting like a 90's Toyota Corolla,
simple reliable engineering that will last forever.

and look today, 80% of Toyota Corollas built are STILL on the road.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
well for one, in 58 years, what will be left of the cars of today? will ANY of them still be on the road? like this one?

in 58 years what will there be to put in a museum and say, look that is the cars we had back then.
and thats my point, we live in a disposable and throw away society, nothing is build to last, nothing is built to keep forever,

its all disposable, use it, abuse it and throw it away and buy another.
you see it with literally everything and anything from Cars built with plastic radiators, and planned obsalesense.
through to Cellphones with Batteries glued in, and impossible to remove,

I feel sad when I look at cars like this, true I was only born at the tail end of it,
but even I appreciate something reliable and long lasting like a 90's Toyota Corolla,
simple reliable engineering that will last forever.

and look today, 80% of Toyota Corollas built are STILL on the road.
Should there be anything left after 58 years? that is the question. Back in the good old days it would make sense for cars to last as long as possible, I don't know about you but I would probably have no use for a car my grandfather used to own 50 years ago.

Those cars are rusting away in heaps of rubble in America, they lasted this long because they were just a massive cage of metal, do we need such cars now? No we don't, we have safety aspects to adhere to, technology has just moved on. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate good quality cars, I just have different measures of judging quality.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Should there be anything left after 58 years? that is the question. Back in the good old days it would make sense for cars to last as long as possible, I don't know about you but I would probably have no use for a car my grandfather used to own 50 years ago.

Those cars are rusting away in heaps of rubble in America, they lasted this long because they were just a massive cage of metal, do we need such cars now? No we don't, we have safety aspects to adhere to, technology has just moved on. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate good quality cars, I just have different measures of judging quality.
so according to you, things must just be thrown away after their been used?
things shouldn't be repaired and kept going, and simply thrown away, due to the disposable society we live in,

I mean I get it, you do have a point, cheaper and easier to simply buy new cars when yours finally dies,
but what about the environment? what about the industry that supports and maintains it?
all of that is worthless? just crush it, melt it down and throw it away?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
so according to you, things must just be thrown away after their been used?
things shouldn't be repaired and kept going, and simply thrown away, due to the disposable society we live in,

I mean I get it, you do have a point, cheaper and easier to simply buy new cars when yours finally dies,
but what about the environment? what about the industry that supports and maintains it?
all of that is worthless? just crush it, melt it down and throw it away?
No, I don't think things should be thrown away, the times we live in dictates what happens to the things we own, clothes, electronics and cars, if I owned an old computer or an old Nokia phone it would be of no use to me today, yes I could probably keep it just for fun and tell my grandchildren about it, besides that there won't be anything else.

There was a time where it was okay to build cars like that, technology moved and so did manufacturers. Bridges are still made the same way they were 100 years ago, from good, old fashioned concrete and steel, because it's still applicable and relevant.

eg2505

Honorary Master
There was a time where it was okay to build cars like that, technology moved and so did manufacturers. Bridges are still made the same way they were 100 years ago, from good, old fashioned concrete and steel, because it's still applicable and relevant.
then why aren't things built like that again? yes, Technology and fabrication has moved forwards by leaps and bounds,
but what is applicable then, it applicable now, problem is Human Greed.

a car is designed today in such a way to be useful for only a certain time, afterwards, you take it and throw it away, or it becomes too expensive to maintain.
I mentioned Plastic parts, that wear out, and are expensive, rather than steel or aluminum that are initially MUCH more expensive to produce.

but last longer, with proper care and maintenance. again a tradeoff, that we have been forced to accept,
but cheap and nasty, or buy expensive and Reliable.

same thing with that Panasonic TV, designed with parts/schematics that are easy to find, and understand what goes wrong and how to fix it.
same thing with that old Nokia, Battery thats removable and can be swapped for another when it wears out.
yes, I agree, your old TV and old phone wont have all the newest features, but again, if something is designed well, it can be added on.

so again, things can be made reliable and easy to maintain like they were in the "olden" days,
its just that they aren't, due to Human Greed.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
then why aren't things built like that again? yes, Technology and fabrication has moved forwards by leaps and bounds,
but what is applicable then, it applicable now, problem is Human Greed.
No, back then they did not now about crumple zones in a car, or they did not care, fitting an airbag on a steel dashboard isn't going to work out. The thought of designing a car body to absorb and dissipate impact was not a thing, what looked right to them at the time is what they built, cars are now designed to sacrifice themselves so that we can live, not to stand their ground and kill us.

eg2505

Honorary Master
No, back then they did not now about crumple zones in a car, or they did not care, fitting an airbag on a steel dashboard isn't going to work out. The thought of designing a car body to absorb and dissipate impact was not a thing, what looked right to them at the time is what they built, cars are now designed to sacrifice themselves so that we can live, not to stand their ground and kill us.
yes, agree with you, things have improved, cars crumple to absorb energy.
but is it really so hard to design a car that can be repaired easily?
without elements that require you to dismantle the entire engine to replace a plastic bit deep inside it, that should be made of steel but isnt?

again, Human greed, its 100% possible to design a car that lasts, and is reliable with all the safety features you want,
problem is it wont happen, as where would they make their money.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
yes, agree with you, things have improved, cars crumple to absorb energy.
but is it really so hard to design a car that can be repaired easily?
without elements that require you to dismantle the entire engine to replace a plastic bit deep inside it, that should be made of steel but isnt?

again, Human greed, its 100% possible to design a car that lasts, and is reliable with all the safety features you want,
problem is it wont happen, as where would they make their money.
If consumers rejected the overpriced mediocre cars that the manufacturers are bringing here we wouldn't have a problem, but we live in a country where people would rather buy a new Datsun Go or Kwid than buy a quality used car, so don't hate the player...

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
Lamborghini Urus (or Audi RSQ8 Pro Max?)
34f54d67bf21eeef2fdb3098221e7c96.jpg

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
58 years on the road, they sure dont build them like they used to.
The modern disposable digitally driven ideology(Gen-X+Digital-Hide behind some good points) for a quick bug (Actually a leg of Modern Corruption) was a bad idea persued(trend)and a waist of resources/time and this practice will catch up with humanity in spectacular ways, I am glad not Gen-Z, Gen Z's children will be forced to come up with a correction. Add to this the blatant disregard for the value of keeping spares, a practise that had been trashed by modern corruption(1992+). Thanks to digital its easy today to manufacture precise shiny crap today that will not last or if it last it cannot be maintained, like food in today down and out tomorrow. Nothing corrupts as fast as digital, and because its Abstract Digital Practises, its poorly understood.

Last edited: