Raspberry Pi hardware and software for web server and SMB share

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Currently I have Ryzen 5 that is only used as a SMB file share and web server (IIS with HTTP and FTP).

I was toying with the idea of using a Raspberry Pi instead but would appreciate some pointers on what model Pi I will need for this and what software to run on it?

The HTTP/FTP is just as file listing of the SMB share, however I will like to run some PHP sites on it like PHPBB3. I would prefer to remote/terminal to the Pi like I currently RDP to my home server.

swakop_toe

PI4 4GBwith a 32GB Class10 SD card and TeamViewer QS?

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Currently I have Ryzen 5 that is only used as a SMB file share and web server (IIS with HTTP and FTP).

I was toying with the idea of using a Raspberry Pi instead but would appreciate some pointers on what model Pi I will need for this and what software to run on it?

The HTTP/FTP is just as file listing of the SMB share, however I will like to run some PHP sites on it like PHPBB3. I would prefer to remote/terminal to the Pi like I currently RDP to my home server.
What?
Please translate

Romulan alphabet and the Rihannsu language

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord

Software:
Raspbian
MySQL
PHP
Apache
NFS

Should be all you need..
Won't running full Raspbian use up memory or is it only loaded when you need it?

In other words if it is just sitting there it will only run Apache, PHP and NFS?

Will 4GB be enough or should I wait for the 8GB ones?

Pi 4 is definitely what I need since I rely on Gbe to the server.

WAslayer

Executive Member
Won't running full Raspbian use up memory or is it only loaded when you need it?

In other words if it is just sitting there it will only run Apache, PHP and NFS?

It's minimal really.. but, yes, only uses memory if you are logged in direct to the pi using the GUI..

das Toktokken

Honorary Master

Go with raspian lite headless and save your RAM for server apps. SSH into the Pi and do everything from bash, much easier. I run my NAS from a Pi and run Kodi and other apps on there too. You can set everything up with noobs - dead easy. PM if you need pointers!

das Toktokken

Honorary Master

Raspian lite (headless) has no GUI. No need for that extra crap. You will need to learn a little BASH but that's no biggie for a techie like you.
Just a note though, if you want to squeeze more out of it, rather have it boot off a USB 3.0 flash or SSD.

Last edited:

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Go with raspian lite headless and save your RAM for server apps. SSH into the Pi and do everything from bash, much easier. I run my NAS from a Pi and run Kodi and other apps on there too. You can set everything up with You mea - dead easy. PM if you need pointers!
You mean PINN? Noobs are not recommended anymore by the Pi foundation.

Gimli

I use
Raspberry pi 4GB
Raspbian (headless) on USB drive, not SDcard
ssh
Webmin
smb
syncthing

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
Last edited:

Genisys

Honorary Master
Only problem at the moment is Pi Shop has no stock of the 4GB or 8GB variants. Suppose one can always source via other distributors as well

PsyWulf

Honorary Master

Look at Dietpi
It's a very lightweight Raspbian(Debian) so your usual Ubuntu stuff will work,but with an easy-to-install preconfigured set of a few hundred apps available
Example:
1624692148635.png

If your requirements are so lightweight you could run pretty much anything on any gen of Pi,though i'd stick to Pi3 and upwards just for more CPU and RAM

1624692218518.png

Got Lighthttpd,docker with Nginx,Pihole,Unifi Controller,Portainer running on here

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Only problem at the moment is Pi Shop has no stock of the 4GB or 8GB variants. Suppose one can always source via other distributors as well
I bought a stack of older Dell Thin Clients a while ago,they are pretty small,light on power requirements,but have 2x DDR3 slots,have 64Bit CPUs and a graphics card,2x SATA connectors
Originally to play with a Kubernetes home lab but they ended up becoming media players and Dietpi machines

Genisys

Honorary Master
I bought a stack of older Dell Thin Clients a while ago,they are pretty small,light on power requirements,but have 2x DDR3 slots,have 64Bit CPUs and a graphics card,2x SATA connectors
Originally to play with a Kubernetes home lab but they ended up becoming media players and Dietpi machines
The specs are decent. I'm looking for something I can power during load shedding, but the closest I have found is a Raspberry Pi, other stuff might be a mission to keep going.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
The specs are decent. I'm looking for something I can power during load shedding, but the closest I have found is a Raspberry Pi, other stuff might be a mission to keep going.
Yup thats similar to my usecase,I keep all the wireless and network services powered for 4hours at least at home

These run on 19v,so step-up converter from a 12v DC UPS,or a 19v capable DC UPS (Ratel) and it's set

wroemwroem

I have the exact same Wyse model (Z90D7), about 5 of them I got in bulk.

I have an old SATA 2.5" 500GB hard drive I mounted with mirror tape to the outside cover, connected to the second SATA port on the motherboard. I get power (5.5v?) from a pinout on the motherboard as well, using connectors from an old fan (pinouts on the ParkyTower website you mentioned). I kept the 4GB flash card in the primary SATA port, on which I boot DietPi. The HDD is secondary storage.

There's a 12v pinout as well, on which I connected an old power supply fan to cool the heatsink when I ran Windows, but I no longer use it like that and removed it.

On DietPi I have PiHole with DHCP, using CloudFlare as primary DNS (but others or that self hosted one is probably fine), and SMB. The SMB share is mounted to the secondary HDD.

On two android phones I have SMBSync2, which is a free sync tool. With that I back up photos and whatsapp (database, media) every second or so day. On three laptops I use the default Windows Backup function to back up documents (ala File History) to the SMB share. Originally I tried to give each device it's own username and password (r/w permissions), but couldn't figure it out. SMB users being other users than Debian users and so on... Maybe in the future I'll try again, but everything works 100% without a hitch using the 'dietpi' user and my custom password.

It's not on backup power, but every time Eskom resumes power they booted up without ever giving an issue.

I did run Windows XP - 10 on them (I experimented a lot) on them successfully, but they're slow and can overheat easily (no fan, only heatsink). They came with 2GB RAM, but I had 4GB in them at a time. Now back to 2GB as I don't need 4GB. The CPU includes a little video acceleration (think APU instead of CPU), and it does help with up to 720p video, but struggles at 1080p. But I guess it also depends on the codec, as it needs to have the ability for hardware acceleration.

Overall I'm very impressed, and am looking for uses for the other ones I have.

The one in use is never taxed, CPU and RAM is almost always idle, and power consumption is something like 5W - 25W.

Sorry for the long post - I got a bit excited to see someone else doing the similar things with the same hardware I have. That ParkyTowers website also helped a lot!

Edit: You can SSH into it using just PowerShell, no additional software needed. Just type ssh root@hostname, trust the certificate and log in. No Putty needed. On android, I use JuiceSSH to connect to it.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Lower powered NUC is also probably worth looking at