RCS will not kill SMS in South Africa – Mobile networks

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
RCS will not kill SMS in South Africa – Mobile networks

Rich Communications Service (RCS) has replaced Short Message Service (SMS) in countries like the United States, but South African mobile networks do not see the same happening in South Africa any time soon.

RCS messaging consists of a range of standards that are designed to replace traditional SMS and MMS on Android devices.

Thor

Honorary Master
You need internet for rcs.

Elon will provide

Sms will die.

grok

Honorary Master
The real reason is because 'Rich' is a swear word in this country.
Unions won't allow..

calypso

Expert Member
You need internet for rcs.

Elon will provide

Sms will die.

Google pushing operators to provide reverse billed data for RCS. If that doesn't work it falls back to SMS.
Elon gives away nothing for free.

RandomGeek

Expert Member
Here is a quote from the article that is the key:
" However, it said it is important to note that the use and uptake of RCS by consumers is affected by their vast choice of alternative messaging platforms. "

To put it more plainly, WhatsApp/Telegram/WeChat/Facebook messenger has killed any chance of RCS making an impact. And whats this of speaking to Android devices only? Thats even sillier

To add: if MTN thinks having their own private little operator-only party will succeed they are smoking some good stuff " MTN said that when it comes to RCS, it is currently prioritising its own messaging platform over technologies like RCS. "

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Google have grown tired of waiting for operators to enable it on their networks. In many countries where operatoros of have not adopted RCS Universal Profile, Google is basically bypassing them and activating it in the Google Messages app anyway. So instead of messages passing through the core network it just kind of gets sent like it would via Telegram any of the other IM's out there. Biggest obstacle is Apple not adopting it. I wonder if the EU might get involved in that at some stage and force them to adopt it.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Oh. I have deleted WhatsApp off my phones and changed my profile pic to pretty much tell people either Telegram me or SMS me. Many of my people in my contacts have RCS enabled. Those that dont ... oh well. Either install Telegram or pay for the SMS. Most people have SMS bundles built into their contracts anyways.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Even our domestic lady has RCS enabled. She uses a Nokia so I think that comes with Google Messages preinstalled. Guys, if you have a Android phone, just download Google Messages and enable the chat feature. Should work on any network here I think. I think we are one of those countries where Google flipped the RCS switch whether our operators wanted it or not.

Capture1.jpg

rambo919

Honorary Master
Neva used RCS, never had a reason to..... only reason I have whatsapp in the first place is because others have it. If everyone goes to RCS so will I.... but not before.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Neva used RCS, never had a reason to..... only reason I have whatsapp in the first place is because others have it. If everyone goes to RCS so will I.... but not before.

Do you have it available though?

MacStew123

Google have grown tired of waiting for operators to enable it on their networks. In many countries where operatoros of have not adopted RCS Universal Profile, Google is basically bypassing them and activating it in the Google Messages app anyway. So instead of messages passing through the core network it just kind of gets sent like it would via Telegram any of the other IM's out there. Biggest obstacle is Apple not adopting it. I wonder if the EU might get involved in that at some stage and force them to adopt it.

Google already have bypassed them - RCS is live in South Africa independent of the operators, regardless of which operator you use. Regarding the Apple matter - I've heard that there is a requirement for every 5G enabled phone to also support RCS. If that's true, the iPhone 12 is expected to support 5G and with that, will have to support RCS. I can't find any concrete info on this online though.

UPDATE:
"the multinational still needs to adopt RCS messaging at a certain point. This is because the GSMA mandates that brands can only use a 5G logo if they agree to make RCS their default mobile messaging platform.

The GSMA thereby forces Apple to go along with the new rich communication services protocol. That is, if the company wants to use 5G, and doesn’t come up with its own technological solution in the meantime."
Source: https://www.tatango.com/blog/is-apple-going-to-embrace-rcs/

Unlikely they will adopt it for business messaging though as that will compete with Apple Business Chat. More likely to adopt it for P2P messaging.

Last edited:

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
yeah, but it's a huawei phone so it's the benevolent overlord version

Ah OK. When I had my Huawei and recently when I got my Samsung A51, I just install Google Messages and set as default SMS app. It is lekker that you can do it via your browser and Windows have a app, so I can both work and personal phone and my OTP's when I log into Vodacom systems I can just copy/paste instead of opening phone blah blah blah.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Who cares? 99% of people have never even heard of it, much less use it.

Or they are, and not realising it. If I sent a SMS to my mom she would just think it is a SMS. She would not know it is a RCS message and frankly she would not care.

Nqindi

Expert Member
Oh. I have deleted WhatsApp off my phones and changed my profile pic to pretty much tell people either Telegram me or SMS me. Many of my people in my contacts have RCS enabled. Those that dont ... oh well. Either install Telegram or pay for the SMS. Most people have SMS bundles built into their contracts anyways.
Lack of end to end encryption is why I am not a fan of either Telegram and RCS. I will stick to WhatsApp as much as I can.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Lack of end to end encryption is why I am not a fan of either Telegram and RCS. I will stick to WhatsApp as much as I can.

Google is looking at end to end encryption for Google Messages. Because RCS is a standards based messaging system though, I am sure they will be obligated to make information and messages available to the state if mandated to do so by a court etc.

Telegram does have end to end encryption. It is called Secret Chat.