RCS will not kill SMS in South Africa – Mobile networks

Nqindi

Expert Member
Google is looking at end to end encryption for Google Messages. Because RCS is a standards based messaging system though, I am sure they will be obligated to make information and messages available to the state if mandated to do so by a court etc.

Telegram does have end to end encryption. It is called Secret Chat.

Which people rarely use. I wish they could just make it default. There is no legitimate reason why they don't implement E2EE by default besides the fact that they want to snoop.

saor

Honorary Master
What is a sms?
I also need something explained...I was listening to a US podcast recently and they were raving about RCS but...aren't they mostly using whatsapp anyway? I don't see what the deal is. It sometimes sounds like they're all still sending sms's over there. Unless those were just a bunch of wierdos on the podcast.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Which people rarely use. I wish they could just make it default. There is no legitimate reason why they don't implement E2EE by default besides the fact that they want to snoop.

No, it is to make it easy to use Telegram seamlessly accross multiple devices. That is why with WhatsApp, your phone needs to be connected for it to work on your PC. Telegram has no interest in snooping.....Whatsapp .... owned by Facebook .... now they DO VERY MUCH HAVE A REASON. I would not be suprised if they have a backdoor somehwere somehow.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I also need something explained...I was listening to a US podcast recently and they were raving about RCS but...aren't they mostly using whatsapp anyway? I don't see what the deal is. It sometimes sounds like they're all still sending sms's over there. Unless those were just a bunch of wierdos on the podcast.
I think in the US most use iMessage, SMS or Messenger. Whatsapp is actually not all that big in the US I think.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
So, I have an App native on my new Samsung called Messages.
All my messages from the US side use this app. Looks like the old SMS app.

I can download and install Messages from Google, and it becomes the default app, replacing Messages (the old SMS type app).

looks like Messages is an upgrade of Messages ... ?

1592399798918.png

For the rest of the world, I use a silly little thing called

1592400073496.png

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
So, I have an App native on my new Samsung called Messages.
All my messages from the US side use this app. Looks like the old SMS app.

I can download and install Messages from Google, and it becomes the default app, replacing Messages (the old SMS type app).

looks like Messages is an upgrade of Messages ... ?

View attachment 861673

For the rest of the world, I use a silly little thing called

View attachment 861677

No, the Messages app that comes preinstalled is not Google Messages. It is Samsung's own app. Just replace it with Google Messages.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
As far as I understand RCS requires an IP-network to work. In other words, it basically uses data just like Whatsapp and Telegram. So what do the mobile networks have to do with implementing it?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
As far as I understand RCS requires an IP-network to work. In other words, it basically uses data just like Whatsapp and Telegram. So what do the mobile networks have to do with implementing it?

RCS is a 3GPP defined services, meaning is is meant to be built into and enabled by the networks. Google got gatvol of the networks twiddling their thumbs and not doing it, so they decided fck it, we will do it for you then and basically put a way in for Google Messages to bypass the network side of it and flipped the switch to "on"

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
No, the Messages app that comes preinstalled is not Google Messages. It is Samsung's own app. Just replace it with Google Messages.
Done so, and may I say, the Google app has a much nicer interface :)

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Done so, and may I say, the Google app has a much nicer interface :)

It is lekker, and you can download the app on Windows and or you can use it in your webrowser also.

Now just enable the RCS by doing this:

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
RCS will not kill SMS in South Africa – Mobile networks

Rich Communications Service (RCS) has replaced Short Message Service (SMS) in countries like the United States, but South African mobile networks do not see the same happening in South Africa any time soon.

RCS messaging consists of a range of standards that are designed to replace traditional SMS and MMS on Android devices.
One word: Lower LSMs

we can hardly fully replace ussd at the moment, even with rich text, whatsapp, html etc the lower lsm who drives most of the contact enpoint for service providers will see sms live (a lot) longer. of course if the phone prices and internet access drops, this might change, but...

system32

Expert Member
Do you have it available though?
I have it available, just trying Google Messages
Currently using "SpamHound" to filter incoming SMS'es
Can't seem to find regex filtering and folders in Google Messages.

Before I can change from SpamHound, Google Messages needs:
1) Folders (aka Labels in GMAIL)
2) Filters based on regex, keyword, from number to move message to folder (apply label in gmail)

eg. SpamHound:
Body Contains: WRewards|PnP Smart Shopper|Funeral Plan|Clientele Legal|Stand a change to win|Join MTN Fantasy League|POWERBALL|MTN Cake Crush|Opt out send SMS to 30246
Action: move to folder Spam

krycor

Honorary Master
One word: Lower LSMs

we can hardly fully replace ussd at the moment, even with rich text, whatsapp, html etc the lower lsm who drives most of the contact enpoint for service providers will see sms live (a lot) longer. of course if the phone prices and internet access drops, this might change, but...

Pretty much what I came to say. Cost per msg is lower albeit most consumers now have bundled gazilion sms.. business to consumer market via gateways earn then many $$$$

Nqindi

Expert Member
No, it is to make it easy to use Telegram seamlessly accross multiple devices. That is why with WhatsApp, your phone needs to be connected for it to work on your PC.
Convenience vs. privacy: I go for the latter all day long. That is just a personal opinion. I can certainly understand people that don't mind
Telegram has no interest in snooping
They have the decryption keys and your messages are stored on their servers I am sure their intentions are noble in offering this "free" service. Every wondered why they refuse to share their Transparency Reports?

.....Whatsapp .... owned by Facebook .... now they DO VERY MUCH HAVE A REASON. I would not be suprised if they have a backdoor somehwere somehow.
If you are so concerned about backdoors then why would anyone use Telegram, which has obvious backdoors, and RCS which is transmitted in plain text? You are just virtue signalling.