Ready to cut the local Vumatel lines due to their bad service

jeevadotnet

Vumatel have what they call technical areas, which is basically their logical split of physical areas.

What happens when these areas get too "big" they split them into additional technical areas, basically another access switch.

When doing so as an ISP you need to allocate new IP resources and Vumatel migrate customers over, this is done over a period of time and ISPs are given lots of notice.

So sounds like bad planning from your ISPs side, not Vumatels.

I still don't quite understand why a VPN wouldn't be a workaround?
Yes i fully agree with you @PBCool and that is what I told to them at first as well. It was a badly planned & executed design but both parties just keeps on showing fault towards each other. 2) VPN will only be suffice for incoming.

Wondernet explicitly states "Vumatel is lying"
Vumatel started to use the same wording "Wondernet is lying"

Therefore you run out of paths to take when Wondernet keeps on saying, but it was a Vumatel issue, etc etc, and Vumatel is like "we dont have anything to do with IPs". Which I also know, but maybe something changed in the background. Now you get to almost a week later and both parties just keep on saying "we will get back to you" and when you finally get through to someone they are like "the issue has been resolved and the ticket is closed".

Vumatel went to lie even further, telling me twice that I've actively refused for someone to come onto site. The first ticket stipulated that the engineers were shown away at the premises and refused entry. The second one was that I actively refused over the phone that they should come onto my premises. Therefore, they closed the ticket & its resolved.

So here goes:

Vumatel informed Wondernet they are running out of IPs. (as they put it; "the node")
Wondernet provided Vumatel with a new IP block.
The new IP block didn't include my static IP, as well as another "4 to 5 static FTTH ips". (an impact study wasn't done correctly).

Vumatel however didn't remove the old block range from their active ethernet DHCP "node", therefore my static IP didn't have a breakout. The newly assigned dynamic IP's issued also came from the old range, which didn't have a breakout. Thus, even after they "pulled" my static IP out, I was still left with a dynamic IP which wasn't routable.

So in essence both parties were at fault because they haven't done enough due diligence, impact study and change-management like cowboys.

Just a massive schlep that you have to get to a point to threaten people just to get basic information & feedback. What amaze me even more is how quickly, easily and blatantly Vumatel representatives lie.

jeevadotnet

I'll come back after 5PM. I expect to see photos of cut cables...or some excuse you're going to use to try and weasel yourself out of this hole you've dug for yourself. 100% sure we will be seeing the latter.
maybe first get that lemmiwinks out of your ass. I've got nothing to weasel myself out if, if i can get accurate feedback.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Yes i fully agree with you @PBCool and that is what I told to them at first as well. It was a badly planned & executed design but both parties just keeps on showing fault towards each other. 2) VPN will only be suffice for incoming.

Wondernet explicitly states "Vumatel is lying"
Vumatel started to use the same wording "Wondernet is lying"

Therefore you run out of paths to take when Wondernet keeps on saying, but it was a Vumatel issue, etc etc, and Vumatel is like "we dont have anything to do with IPs". Which I also know, but maybe something changed in the background. Now you get to almost a week later and both parties just keep on saying "we will get back to you" and when you finally get through to someone they are like "the issue has been resolved and the ticket is closed".

Vumatel went to lie even further, telling me twice that I've actively refused for someone to come onto site. The first ticket stipulated that the engineers were shown away at the premises and refused entry. The second one was that I actively refused over the phone that they should come onto my premises. Therefore, they closed the ticket & its resolved.

So here goes:

Vumatel informed Wondernet they are running out of IPs. (as they put it; "the node")
Wondernet provided Vumatel with a new IP block.
The new IP block didn't include my static IP, as well as another "4 to 5 static FTTH ips". (an impact study wasn't done correctly).

Vumatel however didn't remove the old block range from their active ethernet DHCP "node", therefore my static IP didn't have a breakout. The newly assigned dynamic IP's issued also came from the old range, which didn't have a breakout. Thus, even after they "pulled" my static IP out, I was still left with a dynamic IP which wasn't routable.

So in essence both parties were at fault because they haven't done enough due diligence, impact study and change-management like cowboys.

Just a massive schlep that you have to get to a point to threaten people just to get basic information & feedback. What amaze me even more is how quickly, easily and blatantly Vumatel representatives lie.
The IP address management portion is done directly on a portal by the ISP, Vumatel have nothing to do with it.

Why would VPN only resolve incoming?

8BitLife

maybe first get that lemmiwinks out of your ass. I've got nothing to weasel myself out if, if i can get accurate feedback.
Here the excuses begin. I can see it now. 'I never really intended to cut the cables. I was just looking to get attention. It was just a threat I never intended to act on.' All bark, no bite this one.

KinsZA

Expert Member
Cutting the cables real pro move, you get to have a nice fat legal bill and most likely never provided service by them again.
Probably be in the best interest of other fibre providers to dump you too in case you go on another rampage.

Anthro

Expert Member
Cutting the cables real pro move, you get to have a nice fat legal bill and most likely never provided service by them again.
Probably be in the best interest of other fibre providers to dump you too in case you go on another rampage.
Would not dent this mans pocket, he after all single handedly deployed 300 000 Windows 10 installs via SCCM, and currently runs a massive datacenter for a world class Astronomical Research division -- that won't pay for Business Internet with static IP :'(
Sad that it had to come to this.

KinsZA

Expert Member
Of course let us not forget the joy's of forum history that will forever be available for people to look up in a argument against him.

newklear

Expert Member
Darnit, 5pm and no cut cables! I am still eating my popcorn either way!

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
I have never seen someone go on such a rampage over a static IP. I wonder if it knows that Vuma IP's rarely change. I have my fibre for two years and still have the same DHCP IP.

Also, I'll probably rather eat glass than deal with such a prick.

jeevadotnet

I must concede that this thread makes me seem like a total dickwhad. But I've been literally exhausted all options to the point that I felt force to contact one the Ruperts, not something I do lightly. I literally depleted my mobile contract set limits & switchtel limits over the last week alone to get information from Vumatel & Seacom. The fact that it is a static IP is a minor annoyance.

The issue is that neither Vumatel or Wondernet was able to address the issue - since they didn't know what happened. They also didn't have the necessary helpdesk skillset to address the issue or means to find out from someone else what to do regarding the matter. Their escalation points were non existent and their "I will call you back" never happened.

Rather than the "owner of Vumatel" comment on here how awesome & good his lawyers is he could have addressed the issue. Look what Afrihost did, they immediately assist me with my backup Openserve line in private and allocated a WIP static IP for me.

So go ahead and make fun of me, I don't take it personally, its online, still doesn't beat BBS posts from the early 90's.

I just think its of extremely low caliber for a company(ies) to work in such a way, while the owner chants along on MyBB. I can also also see how the company culture dilutes down to the bottom since every single spokesperson or helpdesk agent from Vumatel I've spoken to the last week, except one very well mannered gentlemen lied to me.

Furthermore rather they coming in to talk to me, they drive by my house and make sure the enclosure is locked on the side of the pavement. (Don't tell them there is a massive Vumatel drain on the other side street infront of my 2nd driveway)

Pathetic that you have to threaten people to get the basics out of them, but then they go and sit with flappy heads and condemn the corruption & how poor service delivery is in South Africa. #ironic

Last edited: