Real newegg ships to sa now!!

weelzSA

Expert Member
Thinking of ordering ram for my PC, R260 shipping and it also says 3 to 5 days.
I looked at Ram (well only the Trident Z) and works out more expensive - R1k more than ordering direct from Wootware.

I see there are a few items that are much cheaper and others more expensive so have to do your homework before ordering.

What I did find this is this - CORSAIR IRONCLAW RGB Wireless Rechargeable Gaming Mouse with SLIPSTREAM WIRELESS Technology, Black, Backlit RGB LED, 18000 dpi, Optical https://m.newegg.com/global/za/product/N82E16826816126?ignorebbr=1&m_ver=1

The wireless one works out to roughly the same price as the wired version at most SA stores. So might end up ordering it too.

I can already tell this isn't going to work out well now that they can ship to SA

weelzSA

Expert Member
I just checked price, didn't even compare shipping, custom and vat charges.
That's your problem there - some items have very high shipping and import charges which can sometimes double the price.

beans100

Honorary Master
That's your problem there - some items have very high shipping and import charges which can sometimes double the price.
Just checked the shipping etc, too. On three different laptops, roughly R1000 cheaper at Amazon. Here's one example:

Amazon C330

Newegg C330

I even went as far to compare 3 of the bundle upgrades (CPU, ram, MOBO) of Evetech with Newegg. Yes, I know, just comparing. Prices roughly the same at Evetech,cheaper if you add shipping on Newegg. (EDIT: actually, evetech is cheaper on the parts, I checked wrong Mobo on newegg. Newegg beats Wootware, though. No shipping added yet, though.)
Let me check the same parts on Amazon.

Last edited:

weelzSA

Expert Member
Just checked the shipping etc, too. On three different laptops, roughly R1000 cheaper at Amazon. Here's one example:

Amazon C330

Newegg C330

I even went as far to compare 3 of the bundle upgrades (CPU, ram, MOBO) of Evetech with Newegg. Yes, I know, just comparing. Prices roughly the same at Evetech,cheaper if you add shipping on Newegg.
Let me check the same parts on Amazon.
Yeah as mentioned some items are cheaper and others more expensive - that's why I said you need to do your homework before just placing an order.

If you look up you will see the new Corsair Ironclaw wireless mouse that I am keen on getting works out to the same price locally for the wired version (just one example) but the trident z ram is cheaper locally thru wootware than ordering on either Amazon or Newegg.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Does that include import duties, etc as well? Like Amazon does.

Yeah it does full amount for everything.
Where does it say that?

All I see is an estimated VAT amount. That does not include duties, which is quite high on electronics nowadays isn't it?

Only when DHL contacts you for pre-clearance, will you know what the vat and duties are, plus the usual additional little DHL costs as well.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Where does it say that?

All I see is an estimated VAT amount. That does not include duties, which is quite high on electronics nowadays isn't it?

Only when DHL contacts you for pre-clearance, will you know what the vat and duties are, plus the usual additional little DHL costs as well.
They do an estimation at checkout of all duties and taxes.

When Newegg products are shipped to eligible countries, an estimate of the estimated VAT/GST & Duty will be levied on the items in your order for shipment to countries outside of the U.S. With your authorization, these funds are used by the carrier or another agent to pay the Import Fees on your behalf (or the recipient’s behalf) to the appropriate authorities of the destination country. The payment of import fees is the responsibility of the importer and is levied based on the laws of the country into which the products are being shipped.

bratwurst

Expert Member
Where does it say that?

Computer equipment doesn't attract duties. Only vat.