Real newegg ships to sa now!!

Sephiroth96

I'm looking to buy a laptop from Newegg. Does anyone know if I have to pay duties on laptops? The VAT price seems correct.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Awesome, laptop is already a bit above budget so don't want any more nasty surprises.
See below from their website. Was also a bit nervous have 2080 TI landing on Monday which has already stretched budget :cautious:

Duties and taxes are calculated based on the market value (actual price before any promotions) of the product and not the price after Newegg promotions. This allows destination country customs authorities to obtain the accurate import duties and taxes owed to them based on the actual value of the goods.

You won’t be charged additional fees if the actual Import Fees exceed the VAT/GST & Duty we estimated.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
I'm loathe to be a buzzkiller, but why are people so excited about this? The prices seem just as high as they are locally, at least the prices of GPUs.

Or is there a greater variety of stock available at Newegg than what we typically have access to over here?
Saved 7k on EVGA GPU I bought during their "prime" day specials a week ago. Essentially got a 2080 Ti for the price of a 2080. They didn't have many though.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Buyer beware. As far as I have been told GPU's purchased and shipped internationally are not eligible for any promos. In this case current Nvidia Wolfenstein: YoungBlood, Control bundle. Not that I care much for those titles but will get clarity from Nvidia directly.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Newegg is considerably more expensive than Amazon. When I bought my Silicon Power SSD is was R1200 all inclusive from Amazon but well over R1500 from Newegg for the same size ssd and same delivery address.

I'm not even excited about newegg shipping to ZA.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Newegg is considerably more expensive than Amazon. When I bought my Silicon Power SSD is was R1200 all inclusive from Amazon but well over R1500 from Newegg for the same size ssd and same delivery address.

Swings and roundabouts. Amazon didn’t come close with 2080 Ti. $150 cheaper on Newegg. Was on special though.

Sephiroth96

Amazon's VAT calculation is weird. On the laptop I've ordered, Newegg calculated at about R5k and Amazon at about R9k. The VAT excluded price was about the same but Newegg gave a better exchange rate

Moridin

My issue with this is warranty claims. Having to ship the unit back etc, is a real pain and with high tech components warranty claims are a high probability.

I am currently going through just such a thing, lucky I bought local. Wootware is a 5 min drive from where I stay.

Sephiroth96

My issue with this is warranty claims. Having to ship the unit back etc, is a real pain and with high tech components warranty claims are a high probability.

I am currently going through just such a thing, lucky I bought local. Wootware is a 5 min drive from where I stay.
Warranty isn't such a big issue. Most brands have international warranty. I previously had a Asus laptop that was bought in the US and the screen died and they replaced it here with no issues. The model was also not released locally.

christiaan777

Ordered Some memory from Newegg, Put an order in at approximately 20:00 on Thursday the 29th of august, also ordered a Ryzen 3900x from Evetech at the same time, to my surprise, both packages arrived with the same courier, Tuesday the 3rd of September. I was quite shocked by how fast it all went and how great the service is that you get from Newegg. The memory cost me approximately R1300 cheaper with better timing than any memory I could have bought in SA. But I do see some items are more expensive, it just depends on numerous factors.

Attachments

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Ordered Some memory from Newegg, Put an order in at approximately 20:00 on Thursday the 29th of august, also ordered a Ryzen 3900x from Evetech at the same time, to my surprise, both packages arrived with the same courier, Tuesday the 3rd of September. I was quite shocked by how fast it all went and how great the service is that you get from Newegg. The memory cost me approximately R1300 cheaper with better timing than any memory I could have bought in SA. But I do see some items are more expensive, it just depends on numerous factors.
The vat charge that add when you check out, that includes the duties? No additional cost?