Real reason behind South Africa’s electricity problems

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
Medupi and Kusile power stations

Yelland wrote that ongoing delays in the construction of the Medupi Power Station – caused by faulty welds and poor instrument and control software – moved the first operational date out by a minimum of 4 years.

The final Medupi completion date, initially planned for 31 October 2013, was pushed back to 30 June 2018.

“The soonest we can expect to actually have the full 4,800 MW from Medupi is mid-2018 – eleven years after the project was announced, at a cost of three times the original budget,” said Yelland.

Kusile is no different, with its initial completion date of 31 October 2014 pushed back to 30 June 2018.
Will heads rolll? Nope. Bonuses all round!! :twisted:

km2

Expert Member
The charts list a whole lot of incidents of strike/protest action in the "reality" column, and it seems to be trying to make it look like it's the fault of labour. I could buy a max of one year combined delay from strikes, and the rest just needs a whole lot of bullet points repeating "**** planning, **** management, **** execution, we don't even know what went wrong".

now05ster

The charts list a whole lot of incidents of strike/protest action in the "reality" column, and it seems to be trying to make it look like it's the fault of labour. I could buy a max of one year combined delay from strikes, and the rest just needs a whole lot of bullet points repeating "**** planning, **** management, **** execution, we don't even know what went wrong".
Correct, that's how I see it too.

As an aside: I read "sod turning celebration" or something like that. Should read "soil turning "?

Necuno

Court Jester
Of course none of this happened during apartheid.

Arthur

Honorary Master
The original published timetables for Medupi and Kusile were in any case too aggressive. Giant coal-fired plants can easily take a decade to build and fully commission. And these two are far from anywhere, adding extra challenges.

Last edited:

Billy

Expert Member
Correct, that's how I see it too.

As an aside: I read "sod turning celebration" or something like that. Should read "soil turning "?
No, it is correct. The first sod is always turned when a building project starts.

The problem here is a few sods should have been turned away.

Billy

Expert Member
My son lives in the UK, and his electrical supplier has:

- Installed roof insulation
- Filled the cavity walls with foam
- supplied an electricity monitoring unit so that he can track useage.

Cost to him? ZILTCH!

It is cheaper for the companies to save electricity by doing this in houses than to build more power stations.

Johnfpro

The original published timetables for Medupi and Kusile were in any case too aggressive. Giant coal-fired plants can easily take a decade to build and fully commission. And these two are far from anywhere, adding extra challenges.
No, this was a known at inception of the project and should have been factored into the equation.

Arthur

Honorary Master
No, this was a known at inception of the project and should have been factored into the equation.
It was known, of course. And given the situation then, it was right to tighten up the project plan and shoot for a very ambitious six years. But I suspect many a seasoned project manager with experience of previous base-load builds shook their heads. A relative, still alive, was for many years head of both generation and transmission at Eskom. When I last spoke to him about this, about 6 years ago admittedly, he was even then skeptical of the uber-aggressive schedule. Do-able in an ideal world, yes. But projects of this scale seldom run exactly as the Gantt charts say when first sod is turned.

TEXTILE GUY

Executive Member
“We hope that there are no other unforeseen incidents, because if there are the country is in serious trouble,” said Yelland.
Yeah, I had ''hoped'' that Zuma didnt get another term because then the country '' is in serious trouble,'' but that didn't happen either.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Of course none of this happened during apartheid.
There was less transparency in general under apartheid.

By 1990 (the end of apartheid) South Africa had had since 1890 (90 years) to electrify SA's households, but had only connected one-third - a shameful statistic (criminal in fact). A mere 10 years later (post apartheid) this number had doubled. That was an incredible rollout. That decade was probably Eskom's finest - under both regime's but definitely within the 'post apartheid era'.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
Wow! They can build 8 plus FIFA approved soccor stadiums in such a short time for the 2010 World Cup so why such a delay for only two power stations since 2007.

furpile

Expert Member
Go have a look on wikipedia at the list of power stations in SA. A few of them were fully built in 6 years, from start to full power. So it is possible, but not easy.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Nope, the real reason why we are in this mess is 'cos Eskom was triumphed as the flagship BEE company. Transformation killed our electricity supply.

torgo

Wow! They can build 8 plus FIFA approved soccor stadiums in such a short time for the 2010 World Cup so why such a delay for only two power stations since 2007.
To be fair, I don't think you comparing apples with apples!!!! Soccer stadiums are mainly civils. Modern power stations are highly complex & technological

Jola

Honorary Master
Nope, the real reason why we are in this mess is 'cos Eskom was triumphed as the flagship BEE company. Transformation killed our electricity supply.
Also because the ANC vetoed Eskom's expansion plans in 1998.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
When will they install smart meters and offer discounts to encourage off peak usage? Too modern a concept?