Recent spite of Bank phishing SMS scams

ld13

Honorary Master
Anyone got the Standard bank "your account has been blocked" sms earlier in the week, or the Absa one this morning?

With the Standard bank one I got the website owner to kill the site quite quickly. But with this Absa one there is no website so I have to contact the webhost etc etc.

The scammers left all their tools on the site, and the results of the absa clients are being stored in plain text, so I pulled a copy of the site, to see how it all fits together and to let Absa know. Phoned absa, they ain't too interested. Cannot talk over the phone to someone that knows what phishing is to get them to take action.

I can kill the site by clicking a button, but would that not be frowned upon by our current legislation?

Lia83

Anyone got the Standard bank "your account has been blocked" sms earlier in the week, or the Absa one this morning?

With the Standard bank one I got the website owner to kill the site quite quickly. But with this Absa one there is no website so I have to contact the webhost etc etc.

The scammers left all their tools on the site, and the results of the absa clients are being stored in plain text, so I pulled a copy of the site, to see how it all fits together and to let Absa know. Phoned absa, they ain't too interested. Cannot talk over the phone to someone that knows what phishing is to get them to take action.

I can kill the site by clicking a button, but would that not be frowned upon by our current legislation?
Thank goodness no. Nothing from Absa...
If only, if only, if only we could click a button and poef....