Recipe's for home made surface cleaners (Kitchen and Bathroom)

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Hi guys. Right, so my partner LOOOOOVVVES to cook .... and he does it well.....but FML .... he can make a mess. Thank god for dishwashers.

It is a bit better now because at least for now, I am working from home, so I clean the kitchen in the morning in between working. Before the lockdown I would come home and then have to clean and then yip .... two hours later he starts cooking again.

Anyway, I find that Mr Muscle does its job, but it does struggle sometimes with certain things where you have to spray again, then wait a bit more and then wipe clean. I have now used the Handy Andy one and I think it works maybe a bit better, but not fantastically so. I now bought a 1L spray bottle of Mr Sheen and will see how that goes.

But the point of this thread, any of you guys or ladies have recipes for home made multi surface cleaner that works great? Did some checking and vinegar and baking soda seems to come up a lot?

zx14

Careful of vinegar on granite, it eventually leads to pitting.

I use 33% cheap vodka (isopropyl alcohol works) 3 drops of sunlight liquid and the balance water, in a spray bottle.

saor

Honorary Master
Hi guys. Right, so my partner LOOOOOVVVES to cook .... and he does it well.....but FML .... he can make a mess. Thank god for dishwashers.

It is a bit better now because at least for now, I am working from home, so I clean the kitchen in the morning in between working. Before the lockdown I would come home and then have to clean and then yip .... two hours later he starts cooking again.
You need a stronger cleaner because what - he can't clean up right after he's made a mess? This thread seems a bit silly tbh. Wipe down after you've made a mess and everything cleans easily with ordinary stuff or even just warm water.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
You need a stronger cleaner because what - he can't clean up right after he's made a mess? This thread seems a bit silly tbh. Wipe down after you've made a mess and everything cleans easily with ordinary stuff or even just warm water.

Oh dont be so pedantic. That is my back story to creating this thread. If you see my posting history, I can be long winded and detailed as to why I create a thread etc. The main purpose of this thread is about home cleaner recipes that mybb peeps know of and use themselves and if they work.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I now bought a 1L spray bottle of Mr Sheen and will see how that goes.

Used it first time now. Gotta say, I am impressed. It is cheap and works very lekker. That said, kitchen was not bad this morning. The real test is yet to come when he makes sticky chicken wings or something again lol.

grok

Honorary Master

Anyway, I find that Mr Muscle does its job, but it does struggle sometimes with certain things where you have to spray again, then wait a bit more and then wipe clean. I have now used the Handy Andy one and I think it works maybe a bit better, but not fantastically so. I now bought a 1L spray bottle of Mr Sheen and will see how that goes.

But the point of this thread, any of you guys or ladies have recipes for home made multi surface cleaner that works great? Did some checking and vinegar and baking soda seems to come up a lot?

So, get him to clean after his own mess!

geezer

Expert Member
If you're close to the East Rand Mall again, head off to the UK Emporium. They import and sell products imported from the UK. We stumbled upon them a while ago, and they sell a cleaning product range "Astonish". My wife bought a selection of their products, which incidentally also is much cheaper than products like Mr. Muscle.

My wife is adamant that those products are FAR superior than others generally available, and it is cheaper as well. For example, their grease lifter costs R32, compared to Mr Muscle's R45. Their general kitchen cleaner is the Kitchen Cleaner Citrus Grove, but browse their website for the other Astonish products in the range.

As soon as we're allowed to travel across provincial borders, we will head off to them to replenish our supplies.

koogs

Any idea what to use on grease stains on granite?

Our previous tenant left the granite tops and backsplash in a state with grease stains.

I managed to get some of the stains out but there are still some around the stove and on the backsplash.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
If you're close to the East Rand Mall again, head off to the UK Emporium. They import and sell products imported from the UK. We stumbled upon them a while ago, and they sell a cleaning product range "Astonish". My wife bought a selection of their products, which incidentally also is much cheaper than products like Mr. Muscle.

My wife is adamant that those products are FAR superior than others generally available, and it is cheaper as well. For example, their grease lifter costs R32, compared to Mr Muscle's R45. Their general kitchen cleaner is the Kitchen Cleaner Citrus Grove, but browse their website for the other Astonish products in the range.

As soon as we're allowed to travel across provincial borders, we will head off to them to replenish our supplies.
I have used their products. I use the Astonish Oxy laundry additive powder. One scoop goes into every load :) . I have also used the kitchen cleaner. You are right, they are cheaper and work really well.

The Oxy laundry booster I can always only find at the Craighall Spar. The Spar where I am in Robin Hills sell the Astonish kitchen cleaner, but not the laundry products. It is irritating to have to drive all that way just to get the Oxy. But when I am on the road home from a client I just make a quick detour and pick more up if I am running low.

I have to say, I am finding that the Mr. Sheen kitchen cleaner works even better and is cheaper considering it is a 1L bottel. I bought mine at Crazy Plastics in Ferndale shopping centre for I think about R39.00.

greg_SA

Expert Member
I use a 750ml spray bottle, with 25ml detol, and 5 to 10ml sunlight liquid, then fill with water.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
So I bought this the other day because they did not have the Mr Sheen strain remover in a can I normally use and I refuse to pay the Vanish price (fck those people are redicilous). Anyway, saw this and I remember my sister's previous maid absolutely insisted on always having a tub of pine gel in the cleaning cupboard. And she used that stuff like crazy. Needed a new tub every month so I figured what the hell, lets give this a go.

Anyway, tried it, it works but I dont like it. Has a very strong smell which I would not really want on my clothes and it creates a foam which sits on the clothes and you have to rub it in which I dont like. The Mr Sheen Oxy can sprays and it goes into the fabric immediately. Anyway, a few days ago I saw me and Paul spilt some red wine on the counter and there was a bit of oil splatter from when he cooked etc, so I though fck it, what would happen if I use this on the counter? Sprayed the counter and waited for the foam to fizze and bubble and almost dissapear (a few minutes) and then took kitchen towel and wiped. Spotless! LOVE IT!

And what is nice is that it is so easy to wipe clean. With Mr Muscle or other kitchen cleaners it is a wet mess having to wipe the spray up. This one kitchen towel is fine to wipe half the counter and it still is not soggy like it would be with the normal kitchen sprays.

It does have a strong smell .... but I dont care.

And yes ... I know I am using it off label but I would not be using it on clothes so might as well use it like this then and not waste it :)

1594821026876.png

Stokstert

Executive Member
Try Doom on stains like engine oil, grease and other fatty stains, also works with ink on clothing. After spraying the spot until moist, throw into the washing machine, and the spots will be gone.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Try Doom on stains like engine oil, grease and other fatty stains, also works with ink on clothing. After spraying the spot until moist, throw into the washing machine, and the spots will be gone.

Really? I have a work Vodacom red jacket that has got stains on it that nothing seems to work for. Will try that tomorrow.

Stokstert

Executive Member
Really? I have a work Vodacom red jacket that has got stains on it that nothing seems to work for. Will try that tomorrow.
I hope it works, my wife swears on doom on my oily garage clothes.

Skywalker786

Expert Member

Totally agree with UK Emporium love their products and prices. Walk in to buy cleaning stuff and walk out with a few hundred rands worth of UK sweets

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I hope it works, my wife swears on doom on my oily garage clothes.

Trying it now. Waiting for machine to finish. Sprayed it good with doom and let it sit for a bit, then followed by Mr Sheen Oxy can spray, then wash with Bioclassic powder and Oxy bleach powder. If this does not work then the jacket going into the bin. Or the domestic if she wants it.

geezer

Expert Member
Totally agree with UK Emporium love their products and prices. Walk in to buy cleaning stuff and walk out with a few hundred rands worth of UK sweets
I feel your pain! The last time we were there we spent close to R1000!!